P3AT 1st Range Report

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by mditurno, Jul 6, 2010.

1. mditurno

mditurno New Member

May 1, 2010
    I recently bought a new P3AT to supplement my EDC options in the warm weather and finally had the chance to begin the break-in process this weekend.  I ran a box of S&B FMJ, a box of FMJ hand loads from a gun show, and a box of GDHP's through it and was really happy with the performance and the accuracy.

I was able to keep 4 inch groups all day at 21 feet with all the ammo I shot through it.  I did experience 2 FTE with the hand loads but otherwise the gun was 100%.

When I got home and cleaned it I noticed that I was able to loosen the hex head screw that holds the extractor spring/clip in place pretty easily so I removed it, put a small amount of blue loc-tite on it, and tightened it back down.

Overall, I am very happy with this gun and its performance!

Mike

2. litenlarry

litenlarry Member

Sep 4, 2007
    MO, south of KC..
    Congrat's...My P3AT has surprised me with it's accuracy...I stick with the FMJ's for penetration purposes..

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Hi,

I see this is only your 3rd post... WELCOME TO KTOG!

Thanks for the range report. The fact that you found the loose screw suggests to me you'll have no problems getting your P3AT to be 100% reliable.

A reliable P3AT is a great carry gun as a primary if need be and as a BUG when something bigger is being carried as your primary.

Take care...

4. Sam88a

Sam88a New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    I alternate JHP,FMJ,JHP etc... I figure I'm covered that way. Congrats on the 3AT I bought mine too for another piece to the concealed puzzle and wound up carrying it almost all the time either in a smartcarry, or on the ankle as a BUG with one of my Glocks IWB. Awesome little firearm.

5. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Congrats. Hey, welcome and thanks for the range report.

6. darts

darts New Member

May 2, 2010
    Were the reloads called Precision Cartridges and in a black box by any chance?

7. mditurno

mditurno New Member

May 1, 2010
    No, the hand loads were from Frankford Arsenal and were 100gr FMJ with 2.7 gr of Bullseye powder. I suspect the ammo is fine and my FTE's were due to the loose extractor screw. I have more of the ammo and will try again at the range now that I secured the screw with blue loc-tite.

Thanks .... Mike

8. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

Thanks for the range report :)  It surprises some people but the P3AT will do it part if you do yours.

Good Shooting :)