Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No disrespect intended, but I'm curious what drives people to chose the P32 over the P3AT. The only thing I can see going for the P32 is lower recoi, but even the P32 is not a gun most would buy for enjoyable range use. These tiny pocket guns have one real purpose, and that is defending one's self. Why would you chose the less capable option in that respect?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I don't know if the p32 is a range gun, and probably not a 5000 rd gun, but it is very fun and pleasant to shoot.
I understand however that it is not pleasant to be shot with.

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
A bit smaller dimensions.
A bit lighter weight.
An extra round, 7 + 1 in the standard mag.
A slide stop - hold open after last round.
Less recoil and muzzle flip, meaning faster follow-up shots with better accuracy.
Not as loud...
James Bond caliber. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
"M looks straight at Bond and says, “You’ll carry the Walther. Show him Q.” He loads the magazine, slaps it into the gun and hands it to 007. “Walther PPK, 7.65mm with a delivery like a brick through a plate-glass window. Takes a brush silencer with very little reduction in muzzle velocity. The American CIA swears by them.” (A technical error on the part of the film’s writers and set armorer, 7.65mm is .32 ACP not .380, an oversight that most people miss in the dialogue.) Bond holds the PPK, feels its weight and balance, and slips it into his tan and blue chamois shoulder holster. And thus the legend began."

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
James Bond caliber could also mean .32acp. The Walther PPK was chambered in both .380 and .32, and also .25 caliber.

The popularity of the .32 ACP in the early half of the 20th century cannot be overstated—especially in Europe. Firearms expert Geoffrey Boothroyd of the UK informed author Ian Fleming, his countryman, that James Bond's side arm should be a Walther PPK chambered in .32 ACP. A significant factor in recommending this round was its near universal availability throughout the world in the 1950s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.32_ACP

·
Registered
71 Posts
No disrespect intended, but I'm curious what drives people to chose the P32 over the P3AT. The only thing I can see going for the P32 is lower recoi, but even the P32 is not a gun most would buy for enjoyable range use. These tiny pocket guns have one real purpose, and that is defending one's self. Why would you chose the less capable option in that respect?
Two reasons:
Recoil is noticeably softer with the P32
I can put the P32 in my shirt pocket sometimes.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Shot both calibers this afternoon - 50 thru each P-32 and 123 thru the P3aT. I currently conceal carry the green P-32 for all the reasons listed above and wouldn't want to be shot by either caliber.
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sectional density advantage of the 32 over the 380. Smaller, lighter gun with one more round. Easily to shoot and hit with and faster follow-up shots. Given time I could come up with more I'm sure.

·
Registered
471 Posts
what TXcajun said....

while i currently dont have a p3at i do have an LCP and only carry my P32... nominal difference in caliber with fmj, extra round, weight and its fun to shoot... Even bought dies to reload for it, currently have over 1100 rounds thru my gen 2 and about 250 in gen 1... love the little dude, especially with belt clip no fuss with holstering and ia the only gun i can truly say i dont know its there....

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
It is also worth noting that when the P32 was launched, it was the step-up from guns of the same size previously only available in .22LR or .25ACP.

That it provided 8 rounds of .32ACP in the same package was revolutionary, and the perfect offering in the early days of 10-round magazine limits that actually launched the CCW wave (take THAT, Sarah Brady !!)

The same offering in .380ACP was another incremental step towards the micro-pistols in 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP we now see and lead us to pooh-pooh the lowly .32 but let's keep things in perspective, kids.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used to have a P3AT, I guess I'll have to have a P32 to "get it". There is essentially/effectively no size difference, and the P3AT is probably only noticeably heavier due to the ammo. I think ammo tech has significantly improved so 32ACP is a better option than it used to be, but then again so is 380, etc.

·
Registered
471 Posts
true all rounds have improved.... but as far as it used to be, I remember when i was a kid most men carried small handguns in their pockets, from .22 to .25 and the beast of a .32... we havent grown nearly as much as calibers over the years but calibers wars on the other hand thats another story

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
If it was good enough for Bad, Bad Leroy Brown, who am I to argue ?
He got a 32 gun
In his pocket for fun
He got a razor in his shoe

Jim Croce

·
Registered
7 Posts
A bit smaller dimensions.
A bit lighter weight.
An extra round, 7 + 1 in the standard mag.
A slide stop - hold open after last round.
Less recoil and muzzle flip, meaning faster follow-up shots with better accuracy.
Not as loud...
Everything about the above, and:

--8+1 rounds with the +1 extension (just like the pics in this string)
--Wanted something that's both fun to shoot at the range as well as easy to carry
--Wanted something the wife would carry & shoot with confidence

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'll add one more reason. Some people flat out can't handle the .380 in this platform, they don't have the hand strength. Maybe they can handle the .32, which makes it the winner.

·
Registered
80 Posts
"M looks straight at Bond and says, “You’ll carry the Walther. Show him Q.” He loads the magazine, slaps it into the gun and hands it to 007. “Walther PPK, 7.65mm with a delivery like a brick through a plate-glass window. Takes a brush silencer with very little reduction in muzzle velocity. The American CIA swears by them.” (A technical error on the part of the film’s writers and set armorer, 7.65mm is .32 ACP not .380, an oversight that most people miss in the dialogue.) Bond holds the PPK, feels its weight and balance, and slips it into his tan and blue chamois shoulder holster. And thus the legend began."
You've got this wrong. .32 was indeed the powerful new round they were discussing, it was a big improvement over the little "ladies' gun" .25 he had been carrying. But it had been a gift from M, and he was very fond of it. The upshot of the whole thing was, being the expert assassin, shot placement was key and the .25 did the trick, except for the event previously which had nearly killed him. .380 was never in this discussion.
Also this is the original PPK, not what we have here, PPK/S. The /S is made up from a bigger PP (Polizei Pistole) frame with a PPK (PP Kriminal) slide. All originally in .32. From the olden days when that was enough to put down a thug.

·
Registered
274 Posts
In addition to the answers above...
For private citizens, the odds of needing a firearm for defense are very low.
When you actually do need to use a firearm for self defense, any caliber has roughly a 50% chance of stopping the attacker (psychological stop-see Ellifitz study referenced below).

It's a risk/reward assessment. Having ANY gun moves you way up in the percentages. But bigger calibers move you even higher up the the ladder. Everyone determines their on level of risk/reward.

Gary Ellifitz did a study of stopping power in 2011 based upon actual shootings. Find & read his full study online, I'm attaching an image of his numbers. But please read his full findings to understand his conclusions.
Text Line Font Design Parallel
Text Line Plot Font Parallel

I'm also attaching a muzzle energy chart. All handgun calibers are wimpy compared to the 12ga shotgun or centerfire rifles.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.