Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've recently decided to forego off-the-body carry when I go to the gym, and instead carry IWB. I've been alternating between my Seecamp .32 and my Beretta Pico .380, but I'm starting to think that my P32 may be the sweet spot.

But it has been a while since I carried my KT, and I'm rethinking what I may want for carry ammo. We all know how underpowered .32 is to begin with, and then there is the added issue of rimlock to worry about. I've settled on the Fiocchi SJHP, Underwood Xtreme Defender, and Buffalo Bore hard cast flat nose in my Seecamp (varies depending on price and availability), but none of those will work in the P32 since--unlike the Seecamp--it doesn't have spacers in its mags, and thus must contend with the possibility of rimrock.

So, are we stuck with just FMJ to avoid rimlock? Are any of those ammos I carry in my Seecamp long enough (I'm pessimistic)? And if the ammo is only FMJ, which are the hottest out there (I assume Fiocchi and S&B, but I'm hoping I've missed other good ones).

Thanks in advance (And please don't suggest a fly wire modification. I'd use one if KT made them, but I don't trust myself to put one together that is at all reliable. A man's got to know his limitations.)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I prefer the P32 to the Seecamp, especially for compression IWB carry with an appropriate pocket holster. My P32 actually replaced my Seecamp. It is the thinnest & lightest little blaster I have.

My preferred P32 ammo is Fiocchi 60gr SJHP...not because of expansion (I doubt it will expand in most situations out of a P32), but instead because it is a relatively strong load (for a 32), accurate, & reliable out of my P32. That specific load also seems to be long enough (& has an appropriate bullet profile) to avoid rimlock.

I fully expect others to say that FMJ is the only way to go with a P32. Is it? No...not for me.

I still have OG Silvertip for the Seecamp, however for a number of reasons I prefer the SJHP Fiocchi out of the P32.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The first 32 I carried was a PPK. The first or second time I took it to the range for practice I encountered a rim lock. And I was shooting FMJ.

Since then i have done three things regardless of the type of ammo I load in the pistol and have never again encountered rimlock. First I am very very careful how I load the magazine, ensuring each round is seated properly. Second, I never subject my magazines to excessive shocks like dropping; if it happens, I unload and reload the magazine to ensure nothing shifted. Finally, I never carry the gun loaded +1. This last one may not be a real reason, but carrying a full magazine under a closed breach puts extra downward pressure on the bullet stack, pressure that might contribute to shifting, so I don’t do it.

Today I carry a P-32 loaded with Xtreme Cavitator. These are the shortest rounds I’ve ever carried yet I have had zero romlock. I will be switching to Defender next, partly because the longer round length can’t hurt. Before Cor-Bon and Lehigh Defense I never carried anything but FMJ because hollow points don’t penetrate compared with FMJ, and because .32 is lower powered, penetration becomes more important. These new bullet designs from LD improves the capability of the caliber immensely.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I carry both the P32 and the Beretta 81 with Fiocchi Extrema XTP. No jams, no rimlock. 32 ACP JHP Shoot-Out
No problems either with Fiocchi FMJ or Geco FMJ.

The Xtreme Cavitator rimlocked in the 81. Looking at the bright side, it's one size of Allen wrench that I didn't have.

Waiting for this one to reappear--->

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, it appears that there are 3 schools of thought here: 1) Rimlock is a serious problem, and one should stick to FMJ to avoid such a possibility. 2) Rimlock is possible, but if you really careful loading and don't abuse your magazines you should be okay. 3) Rimlock is extremely unlikely, and one should just carry whatever round they desire.

I have no idea which camp is is correct. But I decided to take a look at some of the .32 ammo I have on hand for the sake of comparison.

Clearly, the Underwood Xtreme Defender and Fiocchi SJHP are significantly shorter...no doubt why they function so well in my Seecamp. Based on that short length, I would be quite reticent to use them in my P32 unless I'm convinced otherwise.

I have heard many reports that the Fiocchi XTP round is long enough that rimlock would be difficult to induce, and many KT owners seem to have a lot of luck with them. And the Hornady ammo is quite close in OAL, and may also be a good bet.

Am I looking at this incorrectly?

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Here is a cut and paste of a reply I made to a similar post 03/14/2017 and some info on Overall Length (OAL):

Since OAL has been mentioned, thought this might be helpful:
These OAL numbers are from various sources [KTOG/MFG Web-Sites/Mousegunner] so in some cases I've got more than one number listed:

S&B FMJ .974/.978
PPU FMJ .975/.977
Fiocchi FMJ .965
PMC Bronze FMJ .956
Remington FMJ .955

PMC Bronze JHP .919
Win Silver Tip JHP .910
Speer Gold Dot JHP .901

One source recommends ammo in excess of .9115 to avoid rimlock
Mousegunner recommends ammo in excess of .960
I've seen the P-32 Mag listed as 1.0" and also 1.1" from another source

Quote from: TheKuduKing: “I’ve found that rimrock ceases to be an issue once OAL gets beyond 0.925".

EDIT: forgot to mention, my preference is FMJ.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Here is info from another item I posted on 02/23/2017.

"emailed Kel-Tec about recommended JHP ammo for the P-32; here is the reply, as you can see they list JHP and FMJ cartridges that they use".

Kel-Tec reply: "There isn't a specific ammo for this. Here's some that we've used here though".

-Fiocchi Shooting Dyanmics (73Grain)
-Gold Dot Speer Gold Dot (60Grain)
-Hornady XTP HP (60Grain)
-MagTech Guardian Gold (65Grain)
-PMC Bronze FMJ (71Grain)
-PMC Bronze JHP(60Grain)
-Remington UMC (71Grain)
-Sellier & Bellot FMJ (73Grain)
-Winchester White Box FMJ (71Grain)
-Winchester Super X Silver Tip (60Grain)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Here is a cut and paste of a reply I made to a similar post 03/14/2017 and some info on Overall Length (OAL):

Since OAL has been mentioned, thought this might be helpful:
These OAL numbers are from various sources [KTOG/MFG Web-Sites/Mousegunner] so in some cases I've got more than one number listed:

S&B FMJ .974/.978
PPU FMJ .975/.977
Fiocchi FMJ .965
PMC Bronze FMJ .956
Remington FMJ .955

PMC Bronze JHP .919
Win Silver Tip JHP .910
Speer Gold Dot JHP .901

One source recommends ammo in excess of .9115 to avoid rimlock
Mousegunner recommends ammo in excess of .960
I've seen the P-32 Mag listed as 1.0" and also 1.1" from another source

Quote from: TheKuduKing: “I’ve found that rimrock ceases to be an issue once OAL gets beyond 0.925".

EDIT: forgot to mention, my preference is FMJ.
Thanks...lots of good information.

I note that three sources here give wildly different answers about suitable OAL...they range from minimums of .9115 to .925 to .960. Clearly there is no consensus on this issue.

And the other maddening issue at play is that most ammunition makers/vendors don't typically list OAL as one of the specs.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Here are side by side pics of old school (original version) WW Silvertip in a Seecamp factory mag vs. Fiocchi SJHP in a P32 factory mag:

Brown Font Material property Cosmetics Brand

Brown Cosmetics Amber Font Liquid

The Seecamp mag is shorter, which changes the perspective a bit. That said, the Seecamp mag was originally designed specifically for that version WW Silvertip round, & it shows.

The P32 mag has a very different profile.

The WW that I measured was consistently around .9105 OAL. The Fiocchi was not as consistent, but was generally around .9285 - .9335 OAL.

I can tell you that the respective rounds are reliable & function well from the mags they are in.

Please also note that in addition to different bullet profiles of these two rounds, they also have very different rim profiles.

As a general rule, the WW does not rimlock in the Seecamp mag because the mag was specifically designed for it.

I believe that part of the reasons the Fiocchi SJHP does not rimlock in my P32 is due to the extra length, & more importantly, the rim to hull profile (not sure what the correct name for that is, but you get the idea).

The above said, I personally would not use the Fiocchi in the Seecamp, or the WW Silvertip in the P32. As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The WW that I measured was consistently around .9105 OAL. The Fiocchi was not as consistent, but was generally around .9285 - .9335 OAL.

I can tell you that the respective rounds are reliable & function well from the mags they are in.

Please also note that in addition to different bullet profiles of these two rounds, they also have very different rim profiles.

I believe that part of the reasons the Fiocchi SJHP does not rimlock in my P32 is due to the extra length, & more importantly, the rim to hull profile (not sure what the correct name for that is, but you get the idea).

The above said, I personally would not use the Fiocchi in the Seecamp, or the WW Silvertip in the P32. As always, YMMV.
Thanks for that information.

If the SJHP works in a P32 and doesn't rimlock, then I need look no further. I think that round is about as good as it gets in .32 acp, with the possible exception of the Underwood round (which I believe is too short). It is also relatively cheap and relatively available.

As to the Seecamp, I just did pretty extensive testing of both the Underwood and the Fiocchi, and both were flawless. The problem with Silvertips is that those rounds have changed significantly since the LWS was designed for them. If you have old stock, great. But the new ones are not a sure bet in any individual pistol (Seecamps tend to be little snowflakes). Which is why, if you hop over to the Seecamp forum, you'll see most people gravitate toward the Gold Dots...which, for me, are among the worst .32 acp rounds out there for self defense. (Not that the Silvertips are worthy of awards, for that matter). If that was all my Seecamp could shoot, I'd probably sell the pistol (yes, I am as obsessed about ammo choices as I am firearms). My Seecamp has been amazingly reliable, and if an ammo choice fits in the mag and cycles, it will generally be 100% at the range, For now, that means the Fiocchi or the Underwood.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Thanks for that information.

If the SJHP works in a P32 and doesn't rimlock, then I need look no further. I think that round is about as good as it gets in .32 acp, with the possible exception of the Underwood round (which I believe is too short). It is also relatively cheap and relatively available.

As to the Seecamp, I just did pretty extensive testing of both the Underwood and the Fiocchi, and both were flawless. The problem with Silvertips is that those rounds have changed significantly since the LWS was designed for them. If you have old stock, great. But the new ones are not a sure bet in any individual pistol (Seecamps tend to be little snowflakes). Which is why, if you hop over to the Seecamp forum, you'll see most people gravitate toward the Gold Dots...which, for me, are among the worst .32 acp rounds out there for self defense. (Not that the Silvertips are worthy of awards, for that matter). If that was all my Seecamp could shoot, I'd probably sell the pistol (yes, I am as obsessed about ammo choices as I am firearms). My Seecamp has been amazingly reliable, and if an ammo choice fits in the mag and cycles, it will generally be 100% at the range, For now, that means the Fiocchi or the Underwood.
Yes, Winchester changed it. And fortunately for me the only Silvertip I have is original NOS. I think I have enough. But truth be told, it was a factor in retiring my Seecamp.

·
Registered
459 Posts
...If the SJHP works in a P32 and doesn't rimlock, then I need look no further. I think that round is about as good as it gets in .32 acp....
Please follow up with your P32 Fiocchi SJHP test results. For me, it is one of the better options. That said, I don't know if production date matters, as my P32 is early Gen, & my SJHP ammo is NOS...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have had a P32 for over 6 years---shot hundreds of rounds with Hp and Rn ammo and never a rimlock----IMHO the reason for this is I use a "RangeTray Magazine Speed Loader for Kel Tec P32 "----when I first got my P32 I noticed that when I loaded the magazine by hand that sometimes I would get the top shell in the magazine to tip down on the front of the shell and the incoming (loading) shell would slide over top---rimlock----with the speed load, the top shell in the magazine is pushed down on the back of the shell--no rimlock. Works well for me anyway. Good luck.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have had a P32 for over 6 years---shot hundreds of rounds with Hp and Rn ammo and never a rimlock----IMHO the reason for this is I use a "RangeTray Magazine Speed Loader for Kel Tec P32 "----when I first got my P32 I noticed that when I loaded the magazine by hand that sometimes I would get the top shell in the magazine to tip down on the front of the shell and the incoming (loading) shell would slide over top---rimlock----with the speed load, the top shell in the magazine is pushed down on the back of the shell--no rimlock. Works well for me anyway. Good luck.
As i mentioned in #3 above, careful loading of the magazine will minimize the chance of a rimlock. It’s not a hard magazine to load by hand, it just needs to be done carefully.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Please follow up with your P32 Fiocchi SJHP test results. For me, it is one of the better options. That said, I don't know if production date matters, as my P32 is early Gen, & my SJHP ammo is NOS...
Will do. I'm planning a range day once my +1 mag extension arrives, and I'll be sure to do a follow-up post here to let everyone know how it goes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've recently decided to forego off-the-body carry when I go to the gym, and instead carry IWB. I've been alternating between my Seecamp .32 and my Beretta Pico .380, but I'm starting to think that my P32 may be the sweet spot.

But it has been a while since I carried my KT, and I'm rethinking what I may want for carry ammo. We all know how underpowered .32 is to begin with, and then there is the added issue of rimlock to worry about. I've settled on the Fiocchi SJHP, Underwood Xtreme Defender, and Buffalo Bore hard cast flat nose in my Seecamp (varies depending on price and availability), but none of those will work in the P32 since--unlike the Seecamp--it doesn't have spacers in its mags, and thus must contend with the possibility of rimrock.

So, are we stuck with just FMJ to avoid rimlock? Are any of those ammos I carry in my Seecamp long enough (I'm pessimistic)? And if the ammo is only FMJ, which are the hottest out there (I assume Fiocchi and S&B, but I'm hoping I've missed other good ones).

Thanks in advance (And please don't suggest a fly wire modification. I'd use one if KT made them, but I don't trust myself to put one together that is at all reliable. A man's got to know his limitations.)
Do the fly wire mod, works great for short rounds. Works like the spacer in the Seecamp. Don't have the link handy but a search here should get you there.
*** Doesn't have to be "exact", cut mine off level with the top of the follower, once you load the 1st round every one is "spaced right".

1 - 20 of 33 Posts