Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
greetings...

p32 carry when nothing else works for work carry...

you get on the target fence in front of a closed back drop and practice the zero distance snatch to rib cage and hit low... im thinking you will experience the power of the p32...

its impressive...

azj

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ruger .380 LCP2. About a 1/4 of the time it's my P32. I'm in AZ I so wear shorts & T- shirt frequently. Both those little buggers work well & I've come to the point of being able to shoot both of them accurately, especially the Ruger
I live in a relatively small town and a10 minute drive gets me out in the desert for practice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A P32 used to be my go-to EDC, but when the P3AT came out, I sold the P32 and used the P3AT for so many years it wore a sheen on touch points from my homemade pocket holster. A few years back, I decided if I really needed something to stop a bad dude -- mindset change beyond purely defensive/escape -- .380 wasn't going to cut it, and upped to a PF9.

The PF9 was barely larger/heavier than the P3AT (which isn't noticeably larger, and just an ounce or two heavier than the P32), and gave me added peace of mind thanks to the superior firepower.

Even after several years of EDC and more than a thousand rounds downrange, I just never got comfortable with my level of accuracy using the PF9 -- something that had never been an issue with either the P32 or P3AT.

And so I ditched the PF9 and got a CM9. I'm still a huge KT fan, and my safe includes a CMR30, PMR30, PLR16, and PLR22, but for routine EDC, I am super happy with my Kahr.

There are occasions when the CM9 doesn't work for me -- such as when I need to ankle carry -- and then I still make use of my trusty P3AT.

YMMV, but curious too, why ya'll use the P32, when the .380 is negligibly larger, but provides substantially more power (relatively speaking, of course!)?
Because 32 and 380 are more or less identicle in short barrels. The 380 is more expensive and harder to control. The 32 was the primary police and military calibre for 100 years. It is superior in a short barrel.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Because 32 and 380 are more or less identicle in short barrels. The 380 is more expensive and harder to control. The 32 was the primary police and military calibre for 100 years. It is superior in a short barrel.
Not on paper, not on the street. The 380 throws a bigger diameter 50% heavier bullet at slightly higher velocity out of a 2” barrel. Both work about as well as the other until you come up against the religious crazy, drug powered desperate or the rage driven. Then the 32acp is in the basement with the 25acp and the 22lr.
While the 380 is more snappy than a 32 out of like sized pistols it is NOT more expensive. My experience has been they are pretty similar in price with the 380 being slightly less expensive if there is a difference. The 32 was never the primary military and police round in the US. It did see much greater use in Europe. One must take into account the difference in attitudes on pistol use. In the US the pistol was viewed as a fighting option. In Europe during the 7.62s tenure it was largely more of a symbol of rank or authority.
Carry what you want, just be honest and accept that the 32 is a compromise. Ease of carry and easier shooting, both good qualities, are what it brings to the table. Power and economics are not.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Not on paper, not on the street. The 380 throws a bigger diameter 50% heavier bullet at slightly higher velocity out of a 2” barrel. Both work about as well as the other until you come up against the religious crazy, drug powered desperate or the rage driven. Then the 32acp is in the basement with the 25acp and the 22lr.
While the 380 is more snappy than a 32 out of like sized pistols it is NOT more expensive. My experience has been they are pretty similar in price with the 380 being slightly less expensive if there is a difference. The 32 was never the primary military and police round in the US. It did see much greater use in Europe. One must take into account the difference in attitudes on pistol use. In the US the pistol was viewed as a fighting option. In Europe during the 7.62s tenure it was largely more of a symbol of rank or authority.
Carry what you want, just be honest and accept that the 32 is a compromise. Ease of carry and easier shooting, both good qualities, are what it brings to the table. Power and economics are not.
x2

·
Registered
732 Posts
Carry it but don’t keep trying to give it power it just doesn’t have. Yes even Germany used it in WWII, it was issued to submariners, pilots and REMFs. The guys actual likely to use the thing to fight used P38s, Lugers, Browning high powers and a hodgepodge of every and any captured handguns they could including the 45acp, 7.62x25, they were in a bit of a bind.
I Used to have a Tomcat, it became obsolescent with the arrival of reliable small 380s. No sure winner but I hedge my bets as best I can. The 380 jumps a bit but worth the extra effort IMO. If the extra oomph of the 380 is too much degrading your performance or your clothing is too tight to conceal the extra fraction of an inch and 1.2 ounce the 32 is a good option. The 380 I carry is a compromise, it is still in the pocket but plays second fiddle to something a bit more substantial when circumstances allow. When the 240 Watt pulse blast can be pocket carried the 380 will be retired;)
https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/...-tiger-tank-really-think-this-was-enough-gun/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Carry it but don’t keep trying to give it power it just doesn’t have. Yes even Germany used it in WWII, it was issued to submariners, pilots and REMFs. The guys actual likely to use the thing to fight used P38s, Lugers, Browning high powers and a hodgepodge of every and any captured handguns they could including the 45acp, 7.62x25, they were in a bit of a bind.
I Used to have a Tomcat, it became obsolescent with the arrival of reliable small 380s. No sure winner but I hedge my bets as best I can. The 380 jumps a bit but worth the extra effort IMO. If the extra oomph of the 380 is too much degrading your performance or your clothing is too tight to conceal the extra fraction of an inch and 1.2 ounce the 32 is a good option. The 380 I carry is a compromise, it is still in the pocket but plays second fiddle to something a bit more substantial when circumstances allow. When the 240 Watt pulse blast can be pocket carried the 380 will be retired;)
https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/...-tiger-tank-really-think-this-was-enough-gun/
There is no extra performance. Look at the ballistic data. 380 is pointless. Who are you trying to convince? Yourself? Nothing you have said is true. If you want more power get a hellcat.

·
Registered
732 Posts
There is no extra performance. Look at the ballistic data. 380 is pointless. Who are you trying to convince? Yourself? Nothing you have said is true. If you want more power get a hellcat.
Corbin 60 grain 32acp: 2” barrel 944 FPS, 120 FPE
Buffalo Bore 90 grain 380 acp: 2” barrel 1044 FPS, 220 FPE
Let add another 32 from Buffalo bore, this is a smoken round 75 grain, 1150 FPS, 220 FPE. Holy cow of course you now have lost the low recoil advantage that is the main attribute the 32 brings to the table. Oh wait that is out of a longer barrel. Out of the p32 910 FPS with about 135 FPE.
I stand corrected, the 380 has absolutely no ballistic advantage over the 32acp..........

1A93CB5E-2C55-41DF-8217-479B1A2A61A7.gif

·
Registered
12 Posts
Let add another 32 from Buffalo bore, this is a smoken round 75 grain, 1150 FPS, 220 FPE. Holy cow of course you now have lost the low recoil advantage that is the main attribute the 32 brings to the table. Oh wait that is out of a longer barrel. Out of the p32 910 FPS with about 135 FPE.
I stand corrected, the 380 has absolutely no ballistic advantage over the 32acp..........

View attachment 50588
You are comparing Corbon, which you can’t even spell, to buffalo bore? Penetration is what matters. Fiochi ball 32 has 16” the 380 you listed barely 10.

Take a deep breath and think what makes a round effective. Penetration ( which you don’t mention) and Shot placement. (Much easier with a 32) My links have ballistic gel testing You should try reading them. A hellcat is the same size as your 380. If you want something snappy why not use a 9mm that is as controllable and more effective? 380s are crap. Low recoil, tiny 32. High recoil, small 9mm. Can’t read ballistics tests, 380.

·
Registered
156 Posts

View attachment 50588
I respect your view of the relative merits of .32 vs .380, but speaking for myself, when I think I will likely need more than the .32 73 gr Fiocchi, I jump over the .380 to 9 mm Federal 124 gr HST or .45 acp 230gr. For the house, I prefer 3 inch 12 ga 00 buckshot, each of which hold 15 "00" apiece. I don't really worry about splitting hairs between the .32 and the .380 because I have a personal preference for the P32 handiness and shootability and I never bother with specialized ammo that is so expensive, hard to obtain, and/or hard on the firearm that I cannot afford to shoot a LOT of it to be familiar with exactly how it will perform in a firearm that I may have to stake my life on.

I have absolutely no problem whatever with anyone who has a preference for .380s over .32s. There are a lot of fine .380s just as good or better than .32s. I see it as strictly personal preference. Any choice that you have confidence in, carry it and don't look back.

·
Registered
195 Posts
And ballistic testing. Note the over 16 inch penetration of the fiochi I use. Also at one time almost all the armies and police used 32 with no problems.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/the-best-32-acp-ammo-for-self-defense/
Your original statement was that the 380 and 32 were "more or less identical" from short barrels.

You also go on to say that "there is no extra performance, look at the ballistic data"

You then provide a couple of articles to back up your claim that show this :

.32 Fiocchi 73 grain FMJ penetrated the ballistics gel 16.8" (Lucky Gunner Best 32 ACP Ammo for Self Defense)

.380 Fiocchi 95 grain FMJ penetrated the ballistics gel 21.8". (Lucky Gunner 32 ACP is Pretty Good Too)

So, from the same manufacturer the .380 bullet that weighs about 30% more penetrated the ballistics gel about 30% deeper than the .32 bullet.

Is that a fair assessment of the ballistics data? That's not "more or less identical" and there is extra performance, about 30% extra.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am on the 'wait list' for the P32 and plan on replacing my S&W 642 .38 special with it for EDC in South Florida (cargo shorts pocket carry). Seems like Fiocchi 73 grain FMJ is the way to go. Thoughts on that?

Thanks !

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just pick up a new P32 in mid June. I love it! I carry this gun 95% of the time I'm outside the house. I wear either Under Armour type pants or cargo shorts. Its a joy to carry, I forget its there. The Desantis Super Fly pocket holster works perfect for me. Yep, Fiocchi 73 grain FMJ is what I use. I ordered the +1 magazine extension from Kel Tec, it arrives on Friday. I carried a LCR 38 (sold it) and a Smith & Wesson 342pd & 351c. I picked up my P32 by checking gundeals multiple times a day until one popped up. I picked it up for $223 w/free shipping from a place in North Carolina. The prices on Gunbroker are crazy high right now.:eek:

21 - 40 of 80 Posts