Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
The only hard part to reloading .32ACP is measuring the low doses of powder but it is not hard to reload. I actually use new brass from Starline and have been loading Lehigh Defense bullets. Makes a very nice defensive round. They shoot very well in the P32.
Thanks for the reminder. I just got thru ordering 200 rounds of polished etc 32 acp range brass from Bayou. They had no other brass in that caliber & now have none ... for the moment at least. :p:cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
According to the video I saw, the back channel conversations with ammo companies is that demand is so high and their ability to produce so low in comparison, that they feel they need to focus on the calibers most in demand. Compared to 9mm, etc. .32 is a very small niche on which to devote scarce resources.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just now I searched an ammo search engine and the prices of the cheapest one are double of what they were a year ago. And with some sellers the price increase is astounding.

·
Registered
227 Posts
According to the video I saw, the back channel conversations with ammo companies is that demand is so high and their ability to produce so low in comparison, that they feel they need to focus on the calibers most in demand. Compared to 9mm, etc. .32 is a very small niche on which to devote scarce resources.
Well, that's not really any different than it's alway been. Demand for 9mm has always been much greater than .32 and all of the ammunition companies have always made much more 9mm. That doesn't mean there isn't a market for .32 acp. It also doesn't mean that when the market returns to a more normal equilibrium between supply and demand that companies won't fullfill the demand for .32 acp.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've been reloading .32 Auto for years successfully.

Every cartridge has its quirks. With .32 Auto, the components are small, so if you have sausage fingers you won't be happy. The powder charges are also small, and 0.1 of a grain moves the velocity and pressure a significant amount, so if you are used to measuring charges in full grain increments, you'll be frustrated and/or unsafe.

Oh yeah, if you load bullets shorter in OAL than standard FMJ, you might end up with a rimlock condition of the OAL of the finished cartridge is signifcantly shorter than factory FMJ, which is ~0.974" (maximum is 0.984"). Much depends on the bullet specific ogive. The common Hornady 85 grain XTP I have found completely reliable at OAL 0.945". The 76 grain FPL from Rimrock (the same bullet used in Buffalo Bore loads) I've found works 100% at no shorter than OAL 0.930" - it's difficult to load it longer because of the wide shoulders on the bullet.

Other than those specifics, the usual reloading practices will produce good ammo. It would be worthwhile to invest in a LE Wilson OAL case gauge for the .32 Auto, to ensure your finished cartridge will chamber fully and easily. There is not much recoil spring force in most .32 Auto guns, especially the P32, so an easy chambering round is essential for reliable performance.

Now, if we only had primers..... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
136 Posts
That opinion came from a Field And Stream magazine article by Richard Mann. I believe the author is very uneducated about economcs as well supply and demand as to make the article laughable. His list of 6 pistol cartridges that are "dead, dying, or soon to be obsolete" are:

.32 acp
.25 auto
.41 magnum
.32 H&R magnum
.40 S&W
.45 GAP

I think the .45 GAP was sold in such small numbers as to possibly be qualified for a list like this ( remember the 7-30 Waters in the Win 94? ) otherwise this list is a joke.

if you want to read the article yourself, see:

Ahhh yes, good 'ole Dick Mann, at it again.

Dick's a gun writer. Who by definition is paid to write articles intended to sell gun magazines, not necessarily convey factual information. Which by extension also encompasses the majority of YT channels. It's all about the Benjamins. A speculative article like that generates interest, leading to $$$$ for the writer, magazine or YT channel.

There are no plans to discontinue .32 Auto. It has always been a very profitable cartridge to sell, despite it's limited production, compared to 9x19mm for example. And the VAST majority of .32 Auto users do NOT reload. All ammo is tight right now, and probably will be for the next 1-2 years. Take up golf or some other fitness activity in the meantime. Shoot an airgun.

If you spoke to the heads of any of the big ammo makers in the USA, they would tell you that they would like to discontinue about 3/4 of all the cartridges made, to streamline production. And then every other year, they would introduce a "brand new" cartridge - in cahoots with a firearm manufacturer - to sell new and guns and more ammo. Firearms are traditionally a problem for manufacturers in that they last a lifetime, thereby reducing sales potential. Which is why they generally produce crap right now, but that is another story....

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. I just got thru ordering 200 rounds of polished etc 32 acp range brass from Bayou. They had no other brass in that caliber & now have none ... for the moment at least. :p:cool:
I spoke too soon & jinxed it. The brass arrived day before yesterday. Beautifully polished & vacuum packed. However it was .380 auto in 32 acp marked bags. As this was the last 32 brass they had I'll probably be doing refund & return & have to keep looking,

Upside is I figured out I've got the dies already. 30 carbine shell holder, 32 mag crimp die, 32 mag bullet seating die with spacer (used that making up some 32 S&W mouse farts for the "Leroy Brown Special").

21 - 29 of 29 Posts