Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SAAMI spec on P32 is 20,500 (1410 bar) and CIP is 23,000 (1600 bar)

Does anyone know what the pressure limits of the P32 chamber are?

From the owners manual:
AMMUNITION: The P-32 Pistol is designed and chambered for the .32 Auto cartridge. Do not use any other ammuntion. The P-32 will accept +P ammuntion, however not with continuous use

· Registered
98 Posts
The P-32 is a locked breeched action, I think the only one in current production. This means it can handle pressures that the usual blowback designs cannot without excessive wear and/or damage.

I don’t think there is an official +P spec for .32 Auto other than the unofficial ‘standard’ of 25% overpressure, like the Buffalo Bore 75 grain Hardcast round.

· Registered
738 Posts
I still have some of the hot buffalo bore .380. not saying, but a while back my P3AT had a frame crack that KelTec replaced. maybe early models were not up to snuff, but as I said, I still have some BB .380. Some gets carried in the gun, but doesn't get shot. I already know it feeds.....

· Administrator
31,571 Posts
I've got some Corbon that's pretty hot stuff. When I carried the P32, I kept it loaded with that stuff. I practiced with lesser rounds and shot a mag of the Corbon to function test before leaving the range. I could feel the difference.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Kel-Tec Forum mobile app

Reactions: Badman400

· Administrator
31,571 Posts
8 hot rounds tested here (P32) with a nice table of results. I don`t see anything I like better than the Corbon.

Reactions: Badman400

· Registered
3 Posts
I carry the Underwood Xtreme Defender. It replaces the Xtreme Cavitator, which was apparently the only .32 ACP on the market that meets FBI specifications for penetration depth, but extractor issues caused Underwood to replace it with the more tested and reliable Xtreme Defender ammo. Works great in my P32. Here's an impressive video test of the Cavitator in ballistics gel:
. Also see
for a video of the Defender shot from a P32.

· Registered
77 Posts
I roll my own LeHigh Defense . They have the bullets in stock, they have the load data, you need brass, powder and primers. These work very well in my P32. My carry choice and are not snappy. Of course you need brass, primers, and powder. Starline brass can be ordered direct. Powder and primers.... you have been prepared for this crazy right?
Sure there are "hot" rounds but you don't need to go Corbon hot. Have fun.

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I carry the Underwood Xtreme Defender. It replaces the Xtreme Cavitator, which was apparently the only .32 ACP on the market that meets FBI specifications for penetration depth, but extractor issues caused Underwood to replace it with the more tested and reliable Xtreme Defender ammo. Works great in my P32. Here's an impressive video test of the Cavitator in ballistics gel:
. Also see
for a video of the Defender shot from a P32.
What IS the FBI spec for .32acp penetration, anyhow?

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It’s not caliber specific. Ideal penetration, 14” to 16”. Less than 12” is deemed too shallow, over 18” excessive penetration.

Only asking because I remember Lucky Gunner did a .32acp test and Fiocchi FMJ 73gr went an average of 16.8", so that would meet FBI standards, too. :)

· Registered
155 Posts

I don’t think there is an official +P spec for .32 Auto other than the unofficial ‘standard’ of 25% overpressure, like the Buffalo Bore 75 grain Hardcast round.
Whoa there cowboy.... 25% overpressure (25,500 psi) is approaching PROOF pressure (27,500 psi). Probably not a good idea.

You are correct there is no +P in .32 Auto.

When .38 Special +P was introduced, it was approximately 10% over standard pressure. There is no longer any SAAMI proof standard for ".38 Special", the only proof standard is for .38 Special +P. So... any currently manufactured .38 Special revolver that is proofed to SAAMI spec, is proofed for .38 Special +P, regardless of what is printed in the barrel.

.38 Special +P is the new normal in .38 Special. Although as some of the older or more researched reloaders know, +P is roughly the same as the original .38 Special specs before the factories began watering it down beginning in the 1960s.

In any event... .32 Auto is named 7.65mm Browning in Europe and CIP maximum working pressure is 1600 bar (23,200 psi). Buffalo Bore and others may be loading to that higher spec, which is 13% above SAAMI spec. That's significant, but with good quality control should be safe in SAAMI spec guns.

· Registered
9 Posts
I love my P32, and the semi-rimmed 32 ACP cartridge has not caused me any reliability problems. Yet. It is reported teh .32 ACP's semi-rim can cause "rimlock" feeding issues. Which makes me wonder: why not trim that rim until is is the same OD as the case? Like the style of rim you will find on the 9mm and .380 auto cartridges?

Apparently a "flush-rim" .32 ACP was already created for the Chinese Type 64 Silenced pistol (in 7.65x17mm). Gun Jesus did a video on that pistol:

I can only speculate if the reason for that "semi-rim" that it was some half-hearted attempt to make the .32 ACP work in old-time revolvers that took the other .32 cartridges of the turn of the century.

As long as some of us are rolling our own ammo, machining down the rim a tiny bit so it is still a rebated rim but not a semi-rim might not be such a bad thing.

· Registered
738 Posts
I love my P32, and the semi-rimmed 32 ACP cartridge has not caused me any reliability problems. Yet. It is reported teh .32 ACP's semi-rim can cause "rimlock" feeding issues. Which makes me wonder: why not trim that rim until is is the same OD as the case? Like the style of rim you will find on the 9mm and .380 auto cartridges?

Apparently a "flush-rim" .32 ACP was already created for the Chinese Type 64 Silenced pistol (in 7.65x17mm). Gun Jesus did a video on that pistol:

I can only speculate if the reason for that "semi-rim" that it was some half-hearted attempt to make the .32 ACP work in old-time revolvers that took the other .32 cartridges of the turn of the century.

As long as some of us are rolling our own ammo, machining down the rim a tiny bit so it is still a rebated rim but not a semi-rim might not be such a bad thing.
wonder if it might cause extractor issues? I'd say chuck up some factory FMJ(so the bullet will prevent crushing the case) and turn off a wee bit. see how they function. I'm not looking to reload .32, my fingers limit out at 9mm diameter.

· Registered
28 Posts
"I love my P32, and the semi-rimmed 32 ACP cartridge has not caused me any reliability problems. Yet. It is reported teh .32 ACP's semi-rim can cause "rimlock" feeding issues. Which makes me wonder: why not trim that rim until is is the same OD as the case? Like the style of rim you will find on the 9mm and .380 auto cartridges?"

If you're worried about rimlock just do the flyer wire mod.
Flyer Wire

1 - 20 of 23 Posts