P32 10 round mag won't lock back slide

Discussion in 'P-32' started by rotor, Feb 20, 2018.

1. rotor

rotor Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Just bought a P32 and have not fired it yet. Bought an extra 7 mag and a 10 round mag. 10 round mag won't hold slide open when empty. 7 rounders are fine. Any ideas?

2. C-Ration

C-Ration Active Member

Mar 2, 2010
    If you can get a hold of another 10 round magazine I would try that first. Does it fail to lock the slide back completely or does it sort of work? If it doesn’t work at all I would look at the follower in the magazine to make sure it is tripping the internal catch.

3. rotor

rotor Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Clicks in just like the 7 rounder. Looked in the mechanism with the slide off and both appear the same. 7 rounder easily locks the slide, 10 rounder doesn't at all. I don't have a second 10 rounder to try. May have to send this one back to Bud's or see what Kel_Tec says.

4. wanderson

wanderson Active Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I'm no expert on the P-32, but if the follower has to rise all the way to the top to trip the slide catch them maybe the follower isn't coming all the way up. How's the spring tension on the follower when empty? same as the 7 rounder? When I've had issues with longer/higher cap mags it's usually cause the spring isn't strong enough.
    I'd also spray a bit of dry lube inside the mag and work the follower with something that won't damage the follower, maybe a yardstick.

5. linux_author

linux_author Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2018
    chiming in here - i have a 10-round extension and put about 75 rounds through it with no problems - post a pic of the follower and top of magazine? here's left and right side of my 10-rounder:

IMG_1225.jpg IMG_1226.jpg
    hope this helps,

willie
    on the Gulf of Mexico

p.s. just picked up a second P-32 today!

6. rotor

rotor Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Your pictures are great and mine are not as good but my 10 round looks just like yours and looks just like my 7 rounder. Just doesn't work to lock back slide. photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG

7. rotor

rotor Member

Apr 8, 2016
    The only thing that I notice different between the 7 and 10 rounder is that the 7 rounder spring takes more force to push the follower down. I did disassemble the 10 rounder, cleaned it, put a little silicon on it and no change. I can see no visible differences. I have a ticket into KelTec and will see what they say. I don't want to stretch the 10 rounder spring. Anyone that has a 10 rounder note that pushing the follower down is easier on the 10 rounder than the 7?

8. rotor

rotor Member

Apr 8, 2016
    If I lock the slide open with a 7 rounder, replace it with the 10 rounder and pull the slide back it will not go forward unless I drop the 10 round mag. I think that my 10 rounder has a weak spring that does not push the follower up hard enough to lock the slide. What I probably will need to do is replace this 10 rounder.

9. linux_author

Jan 27, 2018
    i think the 10 rounder is *slightly* easier than the flat plate... on my P-32s, the slingshot on an empty magazine after a lock back only works when either the 7 or 10 rounder are dropped (normative battery AFAIK)

e.g.:

1. insert empty mag into empty chamber P-32
    2. pull slide back to lock <-- this is where your 10-round won't lock back, right?
    3. try to slingshot (won't work)
    4. release mag
    5. slingshot works

willie
    on the Gulf of Mexico

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  10. rotor

rotor Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Not exactly sure about what you mean. If I put an empty 7 rounder in and pull the slide back it locks. If I now replace the 7 rounder with a 10 rounder while the slide is locked back and pull the locked slide back it still stays locked. The only time the slide will not stay locked back is if I do this initially on an empty 10 rounder. I think the spring is too weak in the 10 rounder to position the follower to the right position to lock the slide. That's the only obvious thing I can see and the 7 rounder spring is much harder to depress on an empty mag than the 10 rounder.

11. linux_author

Jan 27, 2018
    aha! i think i understand now; on my P-32 and empty 10 rd and 7 rd mags:
    1. insert empty 7 rd mag
    2. slide locks back
    3. replace 7 rd mag w/10 rd mag
    4. slide stays locked
    5. release mag, slide unlocks

1. insert empty 10 rd mag
    2. slide locks back
    3. replace 10 rd mag w/7 round mag
    4. slide stays locked <--- so *this* is different for you?
    5. release mag, slide unlocks

'normal battery' on the P-32, AFAIK is that the slide will only release lock w/a loaded magazine (chambering a round), else the mag must be dropped to release the slide

willie
    on the Gulf of Mexico

12. rotor

rotor Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Nope.
    Insert empty 7 rounder slide locks back
    Insert empty 10 rounder slide does not lock back.
    Insert empty 7 rounder slide locks back, while locked back replace with empty 10 rounder and slingshot slide and it still stays back.
    Insert empty 10 rounder and slide does not lock back.
    For whatever reason the 10 rounder does not work like the 7 rounder and I believe that the spring is too weak pushing up on the follower. Perhaps I will disassemble the 10 rounder and just leave the follower in, push up from below to force the follower up more, rack the slide and see if it stays open. Or just wait for Kel-Tec to respond.
    I appreciate all of the comments though.

13. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    People occasionally ask about the efficacy of the 10 round mags and, based on anecdotal evidence over the years, I always answer that they are slightly less reliable than standard. If I ever knew, I have forgotten whether or not they use the same spring as standard mags, or have a longer and/or stronger spring. You might pull them both out and compare them for an answer.

In either case, the 10 round springs are not as strong as the 7 rounders. Most 10 rounders work but some of the issues I have seen with problematic ones include that they don't properly feed the last round or two, an indication of the spring petering out of strength. If you shoot with yours you'll see if it feeds all 10 rounds consistently.

Sometimes they can be tweaked. Disassemble the mag and check the tube and follower for burrs. Polish the edges of the follower with some fine (600 - 1000) grit sandpaper. If you find any burrs inside the tube, smooth them as best you can. Some folks believe in stretching the spring and claim that can help. Others say that is ineffective and may even weaken the spring. I don't know. Clearly, your mag does not work as it should. You could probably return/replace it and may have better luck next time.

14. rotor

rotor Member

Apr 8, 2016
    I think for now I am going to see if KelTec responds to my ticket and if I am unhappy with the response I will return the mag to Bud's. The 7 rounder that came with the gun and the additional one I bought work fine as far as locking the slide. I still have not fired the gun yet (weather). I will report followup to the group and thank all for the help.

15. 1oldbanket

1oldbanket Member

Feb 3, 2018

16. C-Ration

C-Ration Active Member

Mar 2, 2010
    They are not the same length of spring. The 10 round magazine has more coils. I just replaced a 7 and 10 round mag spring last week. Have you checked to make sure the magazine base is not interfering with proper insertion? Do you see any daylight between the frame and mag base?

17. rotor

rotor Member

Apr 8, 2016
    No, looks like a normal insertion. I still have not heard from Kel-Tec regarding my ticket with them.

18. C-Ration

C-Ration Active Member

Mar 2, 2010
    You may have to call them on the phone. They can be a bit slow responding to electronic requests.

19. rotor

rotor Member

Apr 8, 2016
  20. rotor

rotor Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Ticket from Kel-Tec today to send them 10 Rounder. Will report on new one.