P3 issue that's got me stumped

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by artimus_prime, Sep 4, 2009.

1. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    My buddy has a P3 that has something I've never encountered before. When you pull the trigger initially (loaded or not) it will go all the way back and not drop the hammer. It makes a click when you do that, and it doesn't have to go all the way back. The next trigger pull will fire the weapon. I took the slide off and dry fired the weapon. When I manually reset the hammer with my thumb (no slide), the problem goes away every time.

What gives? :-? :-/

2. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I'm waiting for an answer to this one. Don't have that problem with my PT3AT, but do have with a S&W 422. Aggrevating and inconvenient but not serious. :(

3. DaveNC

DaveNC Active Member

Mar 7, 2008
  4. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    Thanks, but I've had that problem with my gun before and I know that's not the problem. Basically, you can pull the trigger back maybe about halfway, hear a click, return the trigger forward, and then successfully fire the weapon. Each shot fired after the first round will fire as expected and the problem is only on the first round of a magazine.

5. streetprowler

streetprowler New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Call Kel Tec. They may be able to walk you through a solution. If not, send the baby home to mama... ;)

6. bergners

bergners New Member

Apr 30, 2009
    I was having a similar issue with clicks but the triger would click once at the beginning of the trigger pull but would function. Once in a while I would have to pull the trigger all the way back as you described.

My fix was to take the frame out of the handle and reset the the little spring that is underneath the trigger bar. There is a little groove in the bottom of the trigger bar that the spring needs to rest in.
    No more clicks and the trigger pull is fine.

Steve.

7. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Thanks, but I've had that problem with my gun before and I know that's not the problem. Basically, you can pull the trigger back maybe about halfway, hear a click, return the trigger forward, and then successfully fire the weapon. Each shot fired after the first round will fire as expected and the problem is only on the first round of a magazine. [/quote]

It only happens on the first shot because for that one you had to manually operate the action. After that the pistol is cycled automatically with a powerful accompanying jolt and shock from the cartridge firing. This fully resets pistols lock work.

Something is not quite right. The trigger bar or hammer or hammer block could be worn or slightly out of spec, maybe the tolerances are such that they stack up to produce a condition whereby the trigger bar does not quite fully engage the hammer unless there is a hard "whack" delivered to the gun from the firing process. Maybe the trigger and trigger axis are a bit off and the trigger is not able to travel backward enough before it hits the grip. Maybe the hammer block or hammer spring pin are a bit worn allowing the hammer to move a little too far forward when it is in the pre-cocked position. Maybe the trigger is a bit thicker than normal. Maybe the trigger bar is not moving up smoothly under pressure from the trigger spring.

I once had to slightly file off some material from the grip (just behind the trigger) on a P-3AT to get it to go "bang" every time.

Wear on either or both of the mating surfaces of the trigger bar or hammer will necessitate a trigger stroke that ends further to the rear than before the wear occurred.

I would polish the trigger bar and lube it. If that doesn't cure the problem I'd remove a little of the grip thickness where the back of the trigger hits the grip, so as to slightly increase the rearward travel of the trigger.

Good luck!

8. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    Thankfully the pistol isn't mine and thankfully it's his 2nd P3. I think a trip back to mama is in order. I'll try and let you guys know what they say. It's a short drive for us to get there. When you show up at their door, you're usually front of the line too! :D

9. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Sounds like the hammer is making contact with the left edge of the slide on it's way back. Mine does it and has never failed because of it and it shows no unusual wear on any parts. As long as the gun goes bang every time I wouldn't worry unless you notice too much wear on the side of the hammer.

10. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    but it doesn't, that's the problem. In every fresh magazine, you have to pull the trigger twice on the first round.

11. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    but it doesn't, that's the problem. In every fresh magazine, you have to pull the trigger twice on the first round. [/quote]
    Jeez Art, this is something new to me. Maybe check with RcModel and see what he says. If it were me I would take the gun completely apart and put it back together just to see if something had came loose somewhere. You've got me stumped.

12. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    Me too. If he had left the gun with me, I would've taken it apart. Maybe RC will chime in.