P3-AT went shooting today............

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by iweb, Dec 13, 2008.

1. iweb

iweb New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Took the wife and 24 year old son shooting today. Wife and I shot the .380 just fine and no problems. Son shot it and every 4th or 5th round had a FTF, so he would eject the round which would have a dent in the primer and a long dent in the end of the bullet. I put the bad rounds in the mag and they all shot. I thought limp wrist so tried to watch him and tell him how to lock his wrist but still had the problem. Do you all agree limp wrist?

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    When You ejected the round that didn't fire. was the slide closed and the round in the barrel. I ask this since you say there was a dent in primer.

If the round was in the barrel, but did not fire. He short stroked the trigger. that is he pulled the trigger before he released it 100% and the hammer fell with out enough force to fire the primer.

A limp wrist leaves the spent round in the chamber

the dent in the bullet is a smiley

3. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Could be short stroking???

4. iweb

iweb New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Yep slide closed and unfired round in the barrel, so short stroked! Thanks.

5. JBIV

JBIV New Member

Dec 8, 2008
    is it first or second gen pistol? technically you should not be able to let the hammer drop on the first step on a second gen. If you are getting a fire on the second strike then you need to look further. If he IS limp wristing it then tell him he does not need to put his pinky in the air while shooting...I kid. But it is akin to driving a nail in a 2x4 using your matteras as a saw horse. this really should still not cause a light strike so I am guessing there may be a burr on your fireing pin or the fireing pin channel on your slide that may halt a fire unless the conditions are clost te perfect. pull the slide off, push the fireing pin in manually using your take down pin and feel for resistance. Pull, the extracter off, pull out the pin and check it out.

I'm no pro, just my 2 cents

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    the anti short stroking improvment was only recently available and second generation guns below serial number JRW00 can short stroke.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1213838654/0#0

7. iweb

iweb New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    First generation and one of the first to hit the streets. I have to think short stroke since it only happened to the son and not me or the wife plus I have had this gun for 5 years and never had this problem.

8. JBIV

JBIV New Member

Dec 8, 2008
    the anti short stroking improvment was only recently available and second generation guns below serial number JRW00 can short stroke.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1213838654/0#0
    [/quote]

My bad, thank you for clearing that up.

9. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Glad to hear it didn't go by itself :D I gotta go with the short stroking on this one too.

10. iweb

iweb New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    I was just glad it invited me. I did a clean job tonight after putting it off for way too long and holy crap was it dirty, I wonder how the poor thing could even shoot.