Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey , Everyone..

I have a friend who is looking for a new CCW and he has asked me to help him with his decision..

He has carried nothing but full sized guns and knows nothing about compact weapons..

I have been trying to steer him toward the P3-AT or at least the P-32..

We have been shopping and negotiating via e-mail for a while now and based on price and size ect. , we have narrowed it down to the P3-AT and the Bersa Thunder .380..

I would love to see him get the Kel-Tec but He has to carry whichever one he chooses so I am just a voice of suggestion..

Does anyone have a comparrison of this two guns?
Pros and cons between the two??

I am gonna e-mail him the suggestions posted here as an aid in his choice..

I know that we are all Kel-Tec fans here , but maybe an objective post or two will help him decide..

Thanks for any suggestions you may have..

Also , if anyone has a side by side picture of the Bersa and Kel-Tec that would be a real help in that it will show him the size difference..

I go now to pray that my friend chooses the Kel...err...I mean, wisely.. ;)

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Apples and Oranges!  By all accounts, the Bersa is a great choice (for ladies) at about the same price point as the 3AT.  The biggest difference is size and weight.   At 23 oz, the Bersa is 3 times the weight of a 3AT.  Geez, the P11 only weighs 14 oz and can hold 13 rounds of 9mm +P.  For another $175, you can convert it to 357 Sig!

The Bersa is NOT an in the pocket, any time, any place, always gun. If I were going for a CCW, for the size and weight of the Bersa, you could  get much more gun/caliber than the 380acp.  He should be chosing between the P3AT and the P11!   IMO, the Bersa Thunder is a great "purse gun"!;D

http://www.bersa-llama.com/cat_thunder380.html

http://www.kel-tec.com/prod01.htm

http://www.kel-tec.com/p3at_pistol.htm    

G

·
"Kel_Tec_Lover" (and "TxCajun")...

I have to point out the ONE thing that should determine his "choice":

The (individual) ergonomic "fit" and "feel" of the weapon should be the
FIRST "consideration" for your friend (or anyone else buying a weapon)!

The Kel-Tec may be too "diminutive" (for some people to "hold" well)
while the Bersa (or some other weapon) may be just what he "needs" !

If he needs the ULTIMATE in small size, light weight, and "concealability"
then a Kel-Tec P-32/P3-AT would be a GOOD choice (if it "fits" him well) !

Your "friend" needs to handle/shoot several weapons BEFORE he buys one ! ;)

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
mrmerriweather said:
Your "friend" needs to handle/shoot several weapons BEFORE he buys one ! ;)
YEP! Just make sure that the P11 & P3 are in the mix. ;D

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
IMHO: The Bersa, Walther PPK/S, and other pistols in this size range, while excellent guns, cannot be considered a good choice for a Pocket Pistol anymore.
(Unless you are into wearing heavy Trench Coats, or Army Field Jackets the year around!)

The Bersa is just too big and too heavy for pocket use. It almost demands some kind of belt holster for comfortable all-day carry.

Beside, as has already been stated, there are lots of other great pistols and revolvers in this size/weight range available nowdays, in much more powerful calibers then the .32 ACP,or .380 ACP.

;D
rcmodel

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Kel_Tec_Lover said:
We have been shopping and negotiating via e-mail for a while now and based on price and size ect. , we have narrowed it down to the P3-AT and the Bersa Thunder .380.
If he wants the pistol for shooting comfort then go for the larger heavier Bresa. If he is looking at daily (8 to 12 hours) deep concealed carry then he should select a thin featherweight P-3AT. Excluding price, these are very different pistols.

Wilson – who’s thinking if a P-3AT is deep concealment, would a Bresa be shallow :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
my buddy carries the bersa while I carry the p3at. We've both shot each other's guns, and for shooting pleasure, I'd pick his. But, if you want a gun that will always be with you, the p3at is the way to go. It also makes a great project to become proficient with. Since he's looking for a ccw, the p3at is the way to go. If he's looking for a gun to shoot a lot at the range, why get a 380?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the great advice !!

Since my friend lives in another state I can't have him shoot my P3-AT, which would do wonders for his decision..

My only concern is that since his only experience is with full sized weapons , he won't adapt well to the recoil of the .380 in such a light package..
That is why the Bersa is on the table..

I am trying not to flat out scream at him to get the Kel-tec , but it is hard not to, considering that I am so pleased with mine..

He has carried many full-sized frames in the past so the Bersa will feel light in comparison , but I agree that it is not as suited to pocket carry as the P3-AT..

I have never fired a Bersa but the reviews seem good... However, I have fired a close design, The Walther PPK and consider it to be a very acurate and easy gun to use..

I look forward to your other posts on this subject and I thank everyone who has taken time to respond so far..

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have shot both and like both. I do like the P3-AT better than the the Bersa due to more recoil. The Bersa is very accurate more than the P3.

I like my P32 for carry better than the Bersa. My friend carries a Bersa and likes it. To each their own... :)

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Kel_Tec_Lover said:
My only concern is that since his only experience is with full sized weapons , he won't adapt well to the recoil of the .380 in such a light package..
That is why the Bersa is on the table..
I still think he'd like the P11. It's SO much more gun than the Bersa. Later, you can work him down to the P3! ;D

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TxCajun said:
I still think he'd like the P11.  It's SO much more gun than the Bersa.  Later, you can work him down to the P3! ;D
He pondered the P-11 for a while , but I have no experience with it . so, all i can do is quote stats on the gun. I can't give him any personal experiences regarding it..

Rest assured though , he will see your suggestion when I e-mail him this thread.. Thanks

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Where does your friend live? Perhaps we can match him up with a KTOGer and let him shoot some Kel-tecs.

Did I mention that someone who was accustomed to larger guns would probably really like the P11? So much gun... So little money!;D

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TxCajun said:
Where does your friend live?  Perhaps we can match him up with a KTOGer and let him shoot some Kel-tecs.

Did I mention that someone who was accustomed to larger guns would probably really like the P11? So much gun...  So little money!;D
I live in North East TN.. and He lives in southern Indiana.. I asked him about meeting someone and he doesn't like the idea of meeting people ,"off the internet".. I guess that is a good precaution for some.. Thanks for the effort , though..

On a side note and purely for MY benefit.. what ever came of the rumor that Kel-Tec was designing a ultra-compact, single stack 9mm?? Now that is an idea I can get behind... ;D

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TxCajun said:
I still think he'd like the P11.  It's SO much more gun than the Bersa.  Later, you can work him down to the P3! ;D
I have sent him all the posts in this thread, so far, and it would seem that Txcajun has found a soft spot.. ;)

He is warming up to the idea of stepping down from full size to the P-11 and maybe someday P3-AT/32..

I knew all of you guys would be helpful.. Not only is it helping him make his decision , but I am learning a few things along the way, as well.. 8)

Procomps : thanks for the link.. I have saved it to my favorites.. Great little reference site ;D

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cactus_jack said:
The Bersa outshoots the P-3AT in every respect, but the P-3AT is a pocket gun and the Bersa is not. It's that simple!
Great shot Cactus_jack !! 8) Is that the Bersa .380 on the left?? If so,It looks overly large in that perspective..

You wouldn't have one of them side by side , would you??

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Great photograpy, but can you shrink it down about 50%?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.