Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 weeks and 6 days later, I got a new slide from Florida. I had sent the other one in because the recoil spring was hanging out the end after about 150 rounds. The guide rod hole, on the old slide was paper thin. This one seems to be about 1/2 the thickness of a dime. Still seems pretty thin, but I have a washer installed this time. I hope to get to the range today or this weekend, and see what happens. I got a Robert Mika pocket holster for it, and I'm ready to start carrying this thing. It's just so much smaller than my 642. Doesn't hardly show at all.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Muddflap said:
..about 1/2 the thickness of a dime.  Still seems pretty thin,..
dime = 0.050"  I agree, still pretty thin.  

does the bottom (where the springs fit) look tappered, like it was made with a drill bit also?

As for your washer, did you tapper its base to fit the slide drilled hole, or did you put it in with the small lip first?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bottom of the slide is tapered, like a drill bit.

I tapered the bottom of the washer, and installed it per the instructions. I used the Torx bit, in my drill press, and a small file. Seemed to work better than sandpaper.
I'm going to to try it now.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
When you have your springs in the slide/barrel, BESURE to twist the outer spring to screw it onto that little lip and it seats flat agaisnt the washer. (I don't recall if you need turn right or left hand for it to go on)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got back from the range. Except for one problem, 100 rounds went smoothly. The only problem I had was about half way through the 2nd magazine, the slide did not go all the way forward. Tried to push it, and it didn't feel right. Took the slide off, and it appears that somehow the recoil rod came out of it's place on the barrel. Must have been my fault, but I don't know how. After I cleaned it, and installed the washer, I cycled the slide, maybe, 20 or 30 times pretty vigorously, and everything seemed OK. Anyway, I put it back together, and the rest of the session went perfectly.

When I was cleaning the gun, it appeared the washer was a little beat up. I feel pretty sure I installed the outer spring correctly. Seem I read something, not too long ago, about spring bind, but I can't find it now. Is there an easy way to check, and what is the cure?

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
spring stacking or going solid?

To check, put just the slide on the frame,  hold  up in front of a good light background.  You should be able to see between the Grip and slide over where the springs should be.  pull the slide all the way back and observe when the end of the slide hits the end of the frame and no light can be seen between grip and slide.  

Now put it together, and do the same (just have to hold back agaisnt springs).  If you see gap, the springs are going solid and preventing slide from hitting frame.

with out the washer, mine would stack with about 0,030" gap.  with washer fitted the best as i could, the gap was about 0.050".  when I shot it, I then noticed one coil of my outer spring has a slightly larger OD, where it jumped over a coil.

If/when i get new recoil springs, I was planning on finishing the closed end springs to a closed and ground end.  this should take about 0.030 of the stack lenght

If the washer is being beatting out, then there might be something else going on with this peening problem. You also mentioned the head of the recoil rod was not in the proper position (on the barrel).

The rod head actually sits in the frame when assembled. the little bit you have to pull the slide/barrel agaisnt spring to put the pin is when the rod head leaves the barrel. there is some tilting movement with the head since the center line of the slide and where the rod rest in the slide are at an angle, the rod tilts up with the slide going back and the top of the head slides agaisnt the bottom of the barrel as it goes back, then down. if there is something kicking the head, the corresponding displacment where the rod goes through the slide will be much greater go to the lever ratios

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.