P3-AT slide replacement

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by bobc_4383, Sep 24, 2007.

1. bobc_4383

bobc_4383 New Member

Sep 11, 2007
    Due to the start of preening of the slide for my P3-AT (after about 200 rounds), I sent the slide back to Kel-Tec. They said it would take up to six weeks for a replacement. If this unusual? Seems a bit long to look at a part, determine it is defective and send a replacement.

Bob

2. Connection

Connection New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Next time, order a new slide with your credit card and (if in stock), KT will ship you a new one right away. Then send in your bad/peened one and KT will credit the charge back to your card. This is absolutely the fastest way, should it happen again to you with the new slide.

3. SoonerPast

SoonerPast New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    My 3at has been at the factory a month. I check with them last week and they told me they were 6 weeks behind.

So far, I'm not impressed with their customer service.

4. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    They have done that in the past but it seems they don't/or haven't for a while now

5. bobc_4383

bobc_4383 New Member

Sep 11, 2007
    Thanks to all. It would seem if they are in stock (and depending on the number of folks available to fill orders) and the unit is indeed bad, it should not take six weeks to put one in a box and send it. I had a defective PF-9 mag (it would only hold 6 rounds), and I called and got a replacement in less than a week.

Maybe the slide issue is large enough that it required a whole new run so the reason for the delay.

Thanks again for the inputs.

Bob Cunningham

6. Connection

Connection New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    They have done that in the past but it seems they don't/or haven't for a while now[/quote]

Hmmm... That's strange. I seem to remember someone doing just that very recently...

7. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    I'v heard people telling others to do this but I have not seen KT doing this in the last 6mo. The one's I'v heard in that time have been told by KT to send their slide back.
    (If you find that post let me know as I'm very intrested in this and would like to talk to that person as I have one w/ a washer that will get a replacement one day)

8. patriot07

patriot07 New Member

Jul 2, 2007
    I sent my gun in for the ejection problems it was having, and was told that it was a 4 week turnaround when I called the day before I sent it in. Well I waited 4 weeks from the day I mailed, and nothing, and then 4 weeks from the day it arrived at KT, and nothing, and then 4 weeks and 2 days mailing time back and nothing. So finally I called and they said it was taking 5 weeks. I waited another week....and nothing. I called again and they said now it was taking 6 weeks. So....7 days after my last call I got it in. I mailed it off July 6, they received it July 10, and I didn't get it back until August 23.

However, they did replace basically everything but the actual receiver. They replaced the grip, slide, barrel, etc., and polished the new barrel for me. I have only put about 150 rounds through since, but it has functioned flawlessly (it jammed about once every 10 rounds before), so I guess overall I'm happy, but the time it took to get the gun back was very disappointing. I felt a little naked being without it for awhile. Even with this experience, it's still hard to dislike KT customer service that much, since they do such a good job fixing the gun, even if it does take too long.

9. jocko

jocko Guest

I think kt has stopped doing the slide purchases/credit thing that way...

10. Connection

Connection New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    I think kt has stopped doing the slide purchases/credit thing that way...[/quote]

Hence the "Wilson approach" to the whole KT thing. But enough spare pistols so that you'll have one that (might?) work while the one that does NOT work is back at the mothership for repairs. ::)

11. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    ??? :-/

12. Doc_S

Doc_S Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd let you all know that I just spoke with Customer Service.
    They told me they are not allowing people to buy a new slide with their credit card, and refund the amount when you send your slide in...

I know many have said they were'nt doing this anymore, but I just thought I'd let you know what I heard from Kel-Tec a couple moments ago...

They said the turn around should be a couple weeks...

God Bless,
    Doc S

13. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    My last NIB P-3AT had a RSGR hole that was so large that the spring would wedge between the guide rod and side of the hole. Kel-Tec received it the afternoon of Sept 24th and shipped my new slide back Sept 27th, which I received Sept 29. I had signed “Wilson” on the bottom of my note and am surprised I didn’t get prompt attention [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

The new slide RSGR hole is still larger than any of my other Second-Generation P-3AT RSGR holes but maybe this one won’t eat my inner spring.

Wilson – who’s wondering why all the criticism of Marie Antoinette ;)

14. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Got washers ?

15. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Got washers ?[/quote]
    With any luck they should be here in a day or two :)

Wilson – who’s not spending $150 on a mirror chrome job without protection

16. Doc_S

Doc_S Well-Known Member

Just mailed my slide out today.
    I'll let you know when I recieve my new one back!

Just got confirmation that it arrived at 7:52 AM on October 5, 2007 in COCOA, FL 32926.

God Bless,
    Doc S

17. bobc_4383

bobc_4383 New Member

Sep 11, 2007
    Just a follow-up - I sent in the preened slide on Sept 11 and received the replacement today so turnaround time is just over three weeks mailbox to mailbox.

Bob

18. Connection

Connection New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    At least KT will appreciate getting one good lookin' slide back! ;)

19. Doc_S

Doc_S Well-Known Member

Just got my new Slide today!
    I got confirmation that it was received at KT on 10/5/07.

God Bless,
    Doc S

20. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Found this thread and instead of making a new one I will piggy back this one.

I want to get my slide chromed but I do not want to be without my carry piece so I would like to purchase a spare slide. Is keltec mothership the best place to pick up spare slides? Is it reasonable or should I just send in the slide and be forced to carry my GINORMOUS springfield xd subcompact around?