Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: How do Kel Tec P3-AT serial numbers run? Specifically, did the company start with serial number 1 and run to 10,000, then begin with the prefix "A" for the next 10,000? Also, are the P3-AT's serial numbered in their own range, or are the serials comingled with other Kel-Tec products? Also, is there a separate sequence of serial numbers for second generation guns? Thanks

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
The serial numbers originally started at "1", like all KT pistols before them. The P-3AT came out around 6/03. I have serial number 27XX which I got around 10/03.

Around 1/04 or so at the request of the BATF, they started using alphanumeric serial numbers on all of their pistols. As far as I know, the 2G serial numbers just picked up where the 1Gs left off, nothing new was done for them.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Minor correction to my previous post and an interesting point on KT serial numbers is the P-11 & P-40 serial numbers. The P-11 started off with "1" and when the P-40 was introduced later, they started with the next serial number used for P-11s. I don't know what serial number P-40s started with, but you could have a situation where a P-11 might have serial number of say, 60,000 and a P-40 might have 60,001.

The P-32 started with "1" and got to 130,000+ and then they were switched to alphanumeric.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
The alpha-numerical system that Keltec uses is discussed in this post

Alamo, I'm going to take your explaination giving here and put it in the post about numbering,  If you don't mind (click on "post above" and see if it is ok with you)

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Did a little searching on the KTOG yahoo list to check my memory.  The P-3AT alphanumeric serial numbers actually came out in 10/03.  It looks like they got into the 4,000s when the switch was made.

As I recall it took a few months longer for alphanumeric P-32s and P-11s to show up.

Edit: And it looks like it was the Dept. of Homeland Security that requested that KT change to alphanumeric and not the BATF.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Here's something of whatever interest it may be posted in 2004 on the KTOG List:

Also- according to the technician at Kel-Tec, the serial numbers are
progressing with all but the last 2 digits incrementing 0-9, followed by
A-Z. The last 2 digits are just 0-9. In other words, they go from
H1999 to H1A00, H1A01, etc. I assume that they skip I and O as
letters...

Here's a posting by Wilson on 10/5/03 on the Yahoo List, first mention of alphanumeric serial numbers:

The serial numbers are now alphanumeric. One new member on the P-32/P-3AT Forum
has the new H series, H0041 IIRC. The pre "H" numbers had exceeded 004100 but I don't
know the final number before alphanumeric (homeland security request).
Wilson

Too bad our forum was hacked and we can't use it to research things like this.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
docheck said:
are the P3-AT's serial numbered in their own range, or are the serials comingled with other Kel-Tec products?

Also, is there a separate sequence of serial numbers for second generation guns?
After Kel-Tec switched to alphanumeric serial numbers the P-3AT pistols started with H0000 or H0001 until that block of number was exhausted at HZZ99 (note the two right most positions are base 10 not base 34). Kel-Tec doesn’t use the alphabetic characters “I” or “O”, as they would be confused with “1” and “0”, the next P-3AT serial number started with “J”.

I purchased the first Second-Generation P-3AT that I found. It had a serial number HJNxx but keep in mind that Kel-Tec produced first and second generation P-3ATs concurrently, so the serial numbers are mixed, with no definitive serial number.

Kel-Tec’s lifetime warranty also comes into play. I have a first-generation P-3AT pistol that required replacement of the slide, barrel, grip, frame, etc.. As first gen parts are no longer manufactured, my serial number H98xx appears to all the rest of the world to be a Second-Generation P-3AT with 50 rounds fired through it.

Wilson – who’s glad he was able to totally and completely bury this subject with more fertilizer ;D

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
One more shovel, but a little off subject

Has serial numbers JFBxx hit the streets. It should about now if production stayed up.

I definately would try and find one if that lot is hard chromed ;)

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
In the weeks leading up to the Christmas break, KT was in all-out PF-9 production mode. IMO, they were making only PF-9s. I doubt that ANY other small pistol (P-32, P3AT or P-11) was produced at that time.

Packer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.