P3-AT or Bersa?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rls1158, Oct 25, 2007.

1. rls1158

rls1158 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    This may be an ignorant question since most of us own KTs but I'll ask anyway. Which gun do you prefer: the P3-AT or Bersa Thunder.

I came very close to buying a Thunder CC but decided on the KT because of its size. I didn't know at the time that I'd have to send it back to FL after two trips to the range.

Now I've got my eye on the Thunder again.

Just curious about how you guys view the two guns.

Thanks

2. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    KT. Bersa is like carrying a brick. If you want something in that size, get the kahr or p-11.

the bersa is the same size comparatively as the other 2. nothing compares to a p3at.

3. cclem700

cclem700 New Member

Oct 31, 2006
    If you do decide to go the bersa route....you might check out the thunder.45  It's about the same price, and if you're gonna carry something heavy and under 600.00 the thunder .45 is a good little pistol. YMMV

I would lean towards a P11/P40 first though.....

4. rls1158

rls1158 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Thanks for the info. Now I remember comparing the P-11 and Thunder CC side by side.

5. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    If you feel comfortable carrying a gun as large and heavy as a Bersa .380, why not jump up a caliber or two to 9mm, .40, or even .45?

There are number of guns just about the size of the Bersa with a lot more umph. Even Bersa themselves now makes basically the same gun in larger calibers.

6. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Had a Kel-Tec, Walther, and a Bersa all in 380. Sold two of them...now only have the Kel-Tec...enough said!

7. peaceful99

peaceful99 New Member

Oct 21, 2005
    I have and like both, but if I had to sell one, it would be the Bersa. So heavy, but really nice to shoot. It wouldn't work as an always gun for me.

8. rls1158

rls1158 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Thanks to all. You've convinced me to stick with KT. I'm anxious to get mine back from FL. Only have one and feel lot without it. Have lots of guns but only one pocket version. Maybe I need to buy a back-up.

9. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    I own both and love them both for very, very different reasons.

As an "always" gun, or if you're picking a gun for carry in general, the P3-AT wins hands down. No comparison.

But as a generally well balanced gun that is high quality, easy to shoot, and quite accurate, the Bersa is a great gun. Again, I own and love both, and my wife, when she carries, picks the Bersa. Its very easy and ergonomic to shoot, and because of that I am more accurate with it than I am with the KT. However, the KT is vastly, incomparably more easy to carry.

What can I say, I have very warm feelings for the Bersa and I feel it is one of the best gun buys out there, but the unique practicality of the P3AT for concealed carry means that if I could only have one, it'd be the Kel-Tec.

This is a topic that comes up now and again, and I always feel a little split on the subject, but comparing the guns is a bit unfair as in my eye they have equal but different strengths.

10. DAIRISHMAN85

DAIRISHMAN85 New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    IVE SHOT GOD KNOWS HOW MANY PISTOLS AND IVE HAD GREAT CONVERSATIONS WITH OWNERS SUCH AS MYSELF OF THE P3AT. WOULDNT TRADE IT FOR ANY OTHER PISTOL SIMPLY BECAUSE ITS ALWAYS WITH ME AND NOBODY HAS A CLUE.

11. Robertoj

Robertoj New Member

Jun 5, 2007
    They both have their virtues. Bersas have come a long way and today (barring an occasional issue & every manufacturer has their share of those), their quality is outstanding.

However, I have to say that on the CC model (.380), most people have had an issue with the feed ramp which happens to be an alloy, as opposed to the regular Thunder which is steel. Check on that.

If you decide on the CC model, perhaps you should consider ball ammo only.

Oh, and the Bersa is a blow back action vs modified Browning lock. Some people would argue that it should be inherently more accurate than the Browning type lock.

As it pertains to the P3-AT one word. Concealment. I can put it in almost any pocket and go....and if you do your part and practice with it, it will do its job....enough said!

My 2 cents, good luck.

12. rls1158

rls1158 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Thanks Robert. I wasn't aware of the feed ramp issue with the Bersa CC. I've decided not to buy anything for now. I'll wait for my KT to come back and hope it's fixed.

Reggie

13. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    I think if you ended up getting a Bersa, you'd probably find that the Bersa would be most likely to go with you to the range, and the Kel-Tec would be most likely to go everywhere else with you! :D

Didn't know that about the CC model feedramp...I have the standard model so I've not seen it as an issue. Good to know!

14. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Reggie,

Have you ever checked out the Taurus Millennium Pro in .380?

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=34&category=Pistol

I have essentially the same gun in 9mm. If I had to choose only one of the two, it would be my P3AT. The P3AT is much more concealable and a carries much more comfortably which for me is pocket most of the time and IWB on occasion.

BTW I had issues out of the box with my P3AT but it has been well worth the effort to get the gun running reliably.

15. onefunzr2

onefunzr2 New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    Does Bersa have a website with folks asking whether they should buy a KT or Bersa?

16. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Just to correct what may have been an inference...Kel-Tec doesn't *have* this website, persay, this is an independent user-operated website that is not affiliated with Kel-Tec, the company.

And likewise, bersatalk.com is not Bersa's site, nor their importers, but they certainly do talk about both pistols, and even have an entire subforum dedicated to KT:

http://bersatalk.com/forums/28/ShowForum.aspx

17. rls1158

rls1158 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Thanks Bill. I've looked at the Taurus line but decided not to buy.

18. rls1158

rls1158 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Thanks Nicneufeld for the comment about the KTOG and Bersa forums. I chose to ignore the implication. As I understand it, this is supposed to be a place (as is the Bersa forum) where we can discuss opinions of guns without sarcasm about one's questions. I appreciate your comment. :)

19. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    No problem! I wasn't being sarcastic, as I assumed you were also not being sarcastic and just asking a straight question, which I answered with every intent to be straightforward. Hehe, my mind is not sharp enough to play sarcasm games on the internet! :D

20. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    [And likewise, bersatalk.com is not Bersa's site, nor their importers, but they certainly do talk about both pistols, and even have an entire subforum dedicated to KT:]

Hey, checked out the subforum over at bersatalk. Seems to me someone looking for info on the P3AT would come away with a better impression of the pistol off that site then they would here. Go figure! :-/