P3 AT Newbus

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Frederick, May 9, 2010.

1. Frederick

Frederick New Member

May 9, 2010
    Newbie chiming in to say hello. Traded my Taurus 85 for a Kel Tec P3 AT yesterday. JX serial number blued and looked hardly used with extra mags and accessories. Wife didnt like the snub noise P38 special and I believe she will like the 380 since it is light and compact for her, we shall see.
    Just a quick question if I may, I am aware that you are not supposed to dry fire this gun, but when doing so the hammer falls in after first shot and I have to pull the slide back to engage hammer again. Is this normal for SA semi autos?

Thanks,

2. buckeyedave

buckeyedave Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Frederick

Hi and welcome. Fairly new myself. Yes that is normal in a dry fire condition for semi auto pistols. Only when a live round is fired does the slide go back to eject that spent round and load another from the mag.

Snap caps are a good idea to get so you can dry fire and not do any damage to the firing pin. But after each pull of the trigger you will have to manually pull back the slide to ejact that cap and load the next.

Dave

3. Frederick

Frederick New Member

May 9, 2010

Thanks for your prompt response. I thought so, but just needed confirming :)

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    As you know, do NOT dry fire any Kel-tec pistol without snap caps.  It will damage the threads on the extractor/firing pin screw.  This is prohibited in the owner's manual which you apparently do not have but can download here.  And yes, you have to retract the slide about 1/2 inch to reset the hammer block. Welcome aboard. :cool:

5. Frederick

Frederick New Member

May 9, 2010

Thanks for the FYI, I do have the manual. I dry fired it only three times. Wont be doing that again with out snap caps. After all wouldnt want my wifes CW to be defective should the need to use it ever arises :)

6. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Yea, you want to avoid intentional dry fires as much as possible. With no slide lock, if you don't count your rounds at the range, you may occassionally accidentally dry fire the gun when shooting. A little usually doesn't hurt but there is no need to accelerate chances of a messed up firing pin screw.

7. Frederick

Frederick New Member

May 9, 2010
    Couldnt resist the urge, took it the range earlier. WOW it is so accurate and nice to shoot, really love it. I best get myself one also ;) Just goes to show you dont have to spend so much to get something so nice.

8. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

Congratulations on finding something that really works for you. The Taurus 85 with the alloy frame probably was really a hand full with heavy loads. I find my self going to lighter loads in my S&W 36, and its heavier than the Taurus 85.

Best Wishes:

9. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    So did you even let your wife shoot it? :D

10. Frederick

Frederick New Member

May 9, 2010
    The wife didnt shoot the P3-AT she was off doing her Mothers Days stuff today ;D
    Just one observation, I field stripped the gun and cleaned her. Now when I rack it with a loaded magazine I feel resistance as if the first round is not entering the chamber smoothly. Any ideas on what might be causing this? Perhaps I am just paranoid and it was like this before, unsure to be honest.

11. buckeyedave

buckeyedave Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Is the resistence you feel when you load a mag and put it in the gun? It's normal just make sure it's seated all the way in. The first round should load without a problem. Something else to consider when putting the mag in is hold the mag release button in until is almost all the way in and then seat it. Being a plastic release it can easily wear out.

For more comfortable shooting and better control you may want to consider the finger grip extension from Kel Tec and check out tractiongrips.com and ktaddons.com. Both guys are members out here. The grips are for feel and the pads help absorb recoil.

Enjoy,
    Dave

12. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    "problem" is likely caused by some machining marks on the feed ramp. You shouldn't be easying the round in though, you should pull the slide back, then let it slam forward, just like the way the gun would cycle when firing.
    I recomend doing a "fluff and buff" on it or atleast polishing the feed ramp. Instructions for this process are here. http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/fullrp.htm
    Congrats on the new gun. You'll love it.

13. Frederick

Frederick New Member

May 9, 2010
    "problem" is likely caused by some machining marks on the feed ramp.  You shouldn't be easying the round in though, you should pull the slide back, then let it slam forward, just like the way the gun would cycle when firing.  
    I recomend doing a "fluff and buff" on it or atleast polishing the feed ramp.  Instructions for this process are here.  http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/fullrp.htm
    Congrats on the new gun.  You'll love it.[/quote]

Its when I am racking the first round into the chamber, it could well be my paranoid self as I dont recall it did this prior to the last strip down. In any case did I mention that I am buying another P3 AT this Friday?  ;) I need one also! Roll on my CWP, its currently under review by a supervisor, whatever that means LOL.