P3-AT much better after F&B

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by speedsix, May 16, 2008.

1. speedsix

speedsix New Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Well, if anyone remembers, I bought a used P3-AT that had about 500rds though it. My first range trip went okay but not great. It liked some ammo and would not eject others. I was happy with this as I just wanted a gun that would shoot.

When I got the gun, it had been broken in and came with lots of new spare parts like ejectors and springs and whatnot. I didn't replace any parts but I did another F&B. The first owner did one F&B but I decided to do another on top of his. Mine was better and really helped my gun out. I had no FTE expect one when I was firing some crappy Wolf ammo that I would never carry. I just wanted to try as many types of ammo as I could. Wolf is not really a ammo I would even consider to be a test because the ammo is often the problem and not the gun. Also, it was at the end of my range session and the gun was getting pretty dirty. It was a simple FTE and I don't hold it against the gun. I shot about 120rds of various ammo, sometimes in the same mag.

So, I am much happier with my P3-AT now but still do not consider it totally reliable. I will carry my S&W model 38-2 or my Glock 26 whenever I can but when I can't. the KT is better than nothing. Now that I feel it will work as long as I keep it clean and feed it ammo that it like and don't limp wrist it, I think it will work for me. I don't think limp wristing would be a problem if I had to shoot someone out of self defense. I would probably be pretty stressed and hold the gun very stiff.

2. speedsix

speedsix New Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Also as a side note, the guns was very accurate! I was shooting 2-3" groups at 25' without even trying for accuracy. Very impressed with the accuracy.

3. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Find the ammo that it likes and stick to it. And as you say, keep it clean and well-lubed. You need it to work reliably for first 6+1, not necessarily the 114th through 120th rounds.

4. GMax

GMax New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Must agree with that, the P3-AT has great natural pointing qualities for me, if the shooter has the same form shot to shot, they pretty much go where pointed.
    My Glock 19 seems to have a different grip angle and always points high, I have to consciously push my wrist down to put it on the COM. Not so with my P3-AT....or P11 for that matter.

5. quickmick7

quickmick7 New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    south florida
    yes i agree the p3at is a very accurate point and shoot gun...sometimes i feel more confident with this than my p11.......