P3-AT Ammo Recommendations...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by pookieguy, Oct 17, 2007.

1. pookieguy

pookieguy New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    OK,
    Before I place an order for the Corbon DPX ammo, I'm wondering what you all recommend for practice
    ammo?

Not entirely sure what brand my local range carries but figured I would ask to see if I can find some
    online cheaper.

Any recommendations? Also, any preferred sites for purchase/price?

Thanks,

2. Mike66

Mike66 New Member

Jul 22, 2007

3. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
  4. Fl_Gunner

Fl_Gunner New Member

Oct 20, 2007
  5. tomm1963

tomm1963 New Member

Sep 24, 2007
  6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
  7. 98_1LE

98_1LE New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    My P3AT seems to like the aluminum case CCI Blazer the best.

8. unit1069

unit1069 New Member

Jan 9, 2007
    I'd walk into a Wal-Mart supercenter and look directly below the glass counter. The last time I bought .380 ammo I ended up with a box of 100 Remington-88-grain JHP for $15 and a box of 50 WWB for $7. I was lucky because I only looked down at the last minute before leaving. Further proof that there is a God!

I have had very good luck with Fiocchi 95-grain FMJ at around $11 per box and wish I could find Federal AE locally. (The Federal FMJ has received lots of endorsements as top-line carry ammo from those who know about these things.) I found some MagTech blue box once at a very good price and it shot well. Haven't seen it since. Right now I have enough ammo to last through the winter with some practice every month along with carry ammo Rem. Golden Saber mixed with Fiocchi. Good luck. I really don't know why .380 ammo is relatively high compared to 9mm, but if I complain too much I'm sure the price will go up. I was thinking once of getting a P32 but realized ammo headaches would only multiply if I did.

9. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    With the price of AE FMJ at buyammo.com I don't know why anyone would even worry about not having easy cheap access to it locally.

-Scott

10. DnoD

DnoD New Member

Oct 25, 2007
    I notice most of you are using the fairly heavy rounds, 95 gr. for example. I thought it would be more common to stick with the lighter, say 70 gr., rounds for such a short light gun. More velocity, less recoil?
    I don't see any lighter FMJ and may go broke practicing with the Glaser ammo. Any feedback?

11. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    I use any new factory ammo I can get inexpensively. I check prices often and when I see a good buy I stock up on whatever is on sale.

The only ammo I avoid for the P-3AT is steel cased ammo.

Some brands are better shooters in my P-3AT but they are all OK for range work as far I'm concerned.

My main goal for range work with the P-3AT is to have all shots within 1.5" of POA. If I can consistently achieve this, I will always hit COM - my main goal.

All the ammo I've tried, and I've tried quite a few, have this accuracy at self-defense distances (up to about 20 feet).

12. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    For carry in both 3ATs, we use Corbon DPX.

Practice is the AE FMJ rounds. Sold locally quite cheap, and have been 100 percent reliable in both guns. I keep 200 rounds of it in my "barter" stocks, just in .380 alone.