P3 and Hydrashocks

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Logan, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Logan

Logan New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Quick question...I have put 100 rounds through my new P3. All were range rounds. I had a friend give me some hydrashocks to use but I only have 6 of them. After the F&B, I racked some rounds through just to see if everything went smooth. Some of the hydrashocks hung up, the range rounds went in and out just fine. Do any of you use the hydrashocks? Any problems with them if you do use them? I am thinking the sharper edge on them is not allowing for a proper feed. Maybe that or I was just not doing something right when racking them through. Like I said though, no problems at all with the range rounds. Any help would be great. TIA.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I would not CARRY a magazine of any round that I had not tested for function by actual firing.

that being said, you could chamber the HS, then have a mag of other, test that combo 5 times to be sure HS fires and next one chambers. and that will leave you one to carry :-/

3. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Face it, some autos are picky like that. Since that p3at won't cylce hydroshocks reliably maybe you should go out and buy another one. Maybe the new one will and you won't have to waste good bullets ;)

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Hand cycling rounds does not equate with firing them. Becuase of the profile, JHP may not hand cycle as well as FMJ rounds, but they may work fine when fired. You absolutely have to shoot some to test function. AFter 200 rounds of FMJ (breakin), clean, lube and shoot 50+ rounds of carry ammo, not necesarrily in the same session.

5. jocko

jocko Guest

tx is right, you have to fire them to see how they function. Corbon did all their teething R & d with the kt380 handguns when they designed the dpx round. To me why mess with the others. it is tested, proven a reliable feeder in the 380 kt and a superior round in all tests. not cheap but neither is life. Rohrbaugh are ammo sensitive to,once the owners find what works perfect for that weapon, they tend to stay with it...

6. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Up until several weeks ago* Hydrashocks was my carry ammo. Probably have close to a hundred rounds through my gun with no problems what so ever. For practice its the seven rounds of carry ammo in my gun then generally a box of 50 practice ammo. I've a box of 20 Corbon DPX to try but that'll probably wait until the spring. If the DPX work out of my gun I'll probably switch to them because of all the positives I've read about them (though they are more expensive than Federal Hydrashocks).

* [Switched to flat nose hard cast bullets for the winter months because generally heavier clothing is worn.]

7. David_the_Gnome

David_the_Gnome New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Why don't you try loading the gun with one hollow point in the chamber and the rest of the magazine filled with FMJ?

8. Logan

Logan New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Thanks everyone. I am thinking I will try these few that I have and then probably just switch over to a FMJ. I do understand that hand cycling a round is not the same as firing it. That was the reason to see if anyone else used them without issue. Thanks for the comments though. I will just have to play around with it some more. Try a few different rounds and see what the gun likes the best :)

9. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    Good move. Read signature below. ;)

10. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Re: P3 and Hydra-shocks

The Hydro-Shock was the only JHP my 1st. gen gun would even work with at first.
    It has ALWAYS been the most reliable feeding JHP I ever found.

Pay no attention to hand cycling them because you are not doing what the gun does when you fire it.

The only true test is to buy some and go shoot them.

If it works 100% with them, which I am quite confident it will, there is your answer!

rcmodel

11. jocko

jocko Guest

WHY :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

12. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    I've tested Federal HS and Remington Express JHP's, both were flawless.
    The Federal WILL sometimes hang up when loading round one if you don't
    slingshot it real good but, they cycle fine.
    The Remington have never hung up, more of a FMJ profile.

I carry the Fed and the Rem in the spare mag because I don't want
    to chance a hang up on a re load.

Bottom line....
    break in the gun and shoot a couple of boxes of what you choose to carry.

13. FMJ

FMJ New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Federal Hydrashok is my carry ammo and have never had a problem with it during actual firing. One of the quirks with the P3 is that ammo does hang up during hand cycling- HP or FMJ. I not particularly happy with this hang up, but a slight bump on the back of the slide does the trick. Try shooting the ammo before you form an opinion as you will see it works fine.

14. medphys3

medphys3 New Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Yeah, the hang-up is normal. I carry Hydrashocks in my p3at and p32.
    Todd

15. TikiG

TikiG New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Have to slingshot to load round one, other than that it works everytime...

I've never believed carrying anything other than Federal HS was necessary. (Through a heavy winter or leather jacket worst case scenario it will turn itself into a FMJ.)  Federal HS are a premo choice for defensive applications and one could make a decent pitch that they are the best. However, I know that I wouldn't want to get hit by the DPX, any good HP, or for that matter any FMJ either.  ;)

General concensus is load what is reliable, first and foremost.

TikiG

16. Jesse

Jesse New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    I was under the impression that the P3 wasn't intended for anything other than standard ammo. Now I've got to get a case of Gold Dot in .380!

17. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    my P3 hasn't liked to hand cycle any of the FMJs or rem express JHPs that i've shot through it, but they all fire reliably. but as others have said, shoot a few hundred rounds of FMJ and then some of your carry ammo. i like to shoot at least 100 to 150 JHPs first, although it is rather expensive to do that depending on the ammo.
    spence