Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who would jump all over a K-T P3 .22LR conversion kit? I just bought a SIG Mosquito for cheap range fun (cheap on the ammo, not so cheap initial weapon purchase price) but would have happily paid $150 for a conversion kit for my P3AT instead.

Don't get me wrong (Disclaimer: I am a Glock fan), if Glock made a dedicated .22LR platform ala SIG's offering, I would have spent my $400 there. I would even be interested in buying a dedicated .22LR platform from Kel-Tec if it were as reasonably priced as their "real" guns.

What say all of you?

Have a good 'un.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you are a Glock fan why didn't you buy an Advantage Arms conversion kit for your Glock?

A pocket 22 LR based on the Kel Tec would have limited utility. Small 22 LR's are notoriously finicky. I have never been impressed with the Beretta Tip Ups, for instance, because I have yet to see one in 22 LR that was moderately reliable.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
clayflingythingy said:
If you are a Glock fan why didn't you buy an Advantage Arms conversion kit for your Glock?
Good question and I would love thoughts on the AA conversion. I like the idea of it but am turned off by the mags being limited to 10 rounds (as well as the price!)

-Scott

G

·
Are you the only one?

I would buy one just to be able to say I had one, but would probably not use it much.

I have had a Buckmark, and a ruger, now I have a NEOS.  Occasional I shoot my buddies Walhter P22.

Same as stated above, seems the .22 auto pistols are picky about what it will and will not eat, and then when you do find the right combo for them, they can still be finiky.

I am currently looking for a 6" SS Tracker in 22lr.  Revolvers do not care how cheap or varied the ammo is.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
clayflingythingy said:

A pocket 22 LR based on the Kel Tec would have limited utility. Small 22 LR's are notoriously finicky. I have never been impressed with the Beretta Tip Ups, for instance, because I have yet to see one in 22 LR that was moderately reliable.
Fair question. One reason was cost--rather pricey to not be truly getting another complete firearm. Another was my distaste for much customization of my Glocks because I feel like the recipe as-is is so good and reliable that I hate to monkey with them. Using the AA conversion kits smells like tricky customization to me (just my subjective feelings) and so I shy from them for that reason as well. Additionally, my wife will put more rounds through the .22LR than I will. On those trips where she accompanies me, that would mean taking one of my Glocks out of the rotation for me to practice with it as Gaston intended it.

As for your subjective opinion that a "22 LR based on the Kel Tec would have limited utility", the same dismissal could be said of ANY .22LR based conversion/version, could it not? The "utility" of it is cheap practice at the range. The advantage of .22LR's that are "cousins" to their "real" counterparts is that your practice is more realistic in most every aspect save recoil. For all of the reasons that dry firing is helpful, shooting a .22LR version of the weapon is even better.

I too have heard many bad things about the Berettas. And I know that there almost seems to be an undiscovered scientific reason that rim-fire auto-pistolery is so dodgy.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nu_Agin_Shooter said:
I have had a Buckmark, and a ruger, now I have a NEOS. Occasional I shoot my buddies Walhter P22.
I contemplated the Rugers and the Buckmarks but the cleaning process is rather difficult and my wife insists on cleaning whatever firearm she shoots (good gal, she is :) ).

I also looked at the P22 and it really came down to a store counter decision between it and the SIG. In the end the SIG reputation, my familiarity with SIGs, the ease of cleaning, the closer resemblance to a "real" gun all tipped the scales for me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Morning, Gents,

My Sweet Bride and I, each have an Iver Johnson TP-22, in, of course, .22LR. These little guns have been extremely reliable, with most types of .22LR ammo, only finding a few that they didn't "like". Back when we shot them all the time, we used CCI Mini-mags and Stingers, and Remington Vipers, and Yellowjackets, and many other types of good, branded, .22LR ammo, all without a hitch. However, neither pistol liked, nor would function with, WW Wildcats, for some reason. When we tried them with that ammo, they both became "Jammamatics". But, when we switched back to our regular choices, no jams, no FTF, no FTE, nothing but 100% reliability. We still trust them, completely, though we seldom shoot them anymore. I'll have to dust them off and have a little fun with them, once again. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc Mark

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Dreadnought said:
For all of the reasons that dry firing is helpful, shooting a .22LR version of the weapon is even better.
And might I add that for all the reasons dry firing is a bad idea, the .22LR version is not. You are still learning that when you pull the trigger it goes bang and something/someone gets hurt!

-Scott

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
adamsesq said:
[quote author=Dreadnought link=1197047550/0#4 date=1197051142]For all of the reasons that dry firing is helpful, shooting a .22LR version of the weapon is even better.
And might I add that for all the reasons dry firing is a bad idea, the .22LR version is not.  You are still learning that when you pull the trigger it goes bang and something/someone gets hurt!

-Scott[/quote]

Big +1

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Dreadnought, how do you like the Mosquito? I'm planning on buying on this weekend, so long as my local dealer has it.

I've been looking for a nice .22 for a while and this is the first one I like the looks of. I have a crappy Phoenix HP22 that's very unreliable, but fun to shoot all the same. (Not to mention cheap to shoot and doesn't make enough noise to upset the neighbors!) I'm hoping this Sig is reliable though I hear it can be picky about ammo.

Kel-Tec content: I'm planning on picking up a PF9 too! (Unless they have a nice used Sig 225)

jim

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 22lr conversion kit for my glock 23. It isn't an AA and I can't remember right now what it is. But it likes the cheap remington stuff from walmart. And it only takes about 10 seconds to change it over. I have gone to the range before and shot my glock and then switched over and put the conversion on to shoot some more. all you do is pull off the slide and then slide on the conversion. the lower remains unchanged.

·
Registered
72 Posts
adamsesq said:
[quote author=clayflingythingy link=1197047550/0#1 date=1197049041]If you are a Glock fan why didn't you buy an Advantage Arms conversion kit for your Glock?
Good question and I would love thoughts on the AA conversion.  I like the idea of it but am turned off by the mags being limited to 10 rounds (as well as the price!)

-Scott[/quote]

I have an AA conversion for an Glock 19. Accuracy with Remington Golden Bullets and CCI Mini Mags at 25 yards is only fair with groups double or more what my Ruger or Buckmark or Smith 22s will do.

It is fine for practicing your 7 yard double taps.

It has proven to be as reliable as the Ruger or Browning or Smith.

Cost. Yeah, $250 isn't cheap but it does give me more trigger time with my Glock at less cost.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dreadnought said:
[quote author=clayflingythingy link=1197047550/0#1 date=1197049041]If you are a Glock fan why didn't you buy an Advantage Arms conversion kit for your Glock?

Fair question.  One reason was cost--rather pricey to not be truly getting another complete firearm.  Another was my distaste for much customization of my Glocks because I feel like the recipe as-is is so good and reliable that I hate to monkey with them.  Using the AA conversion kits smells like tricky customization to me (just my subjective feelings) and so I shy from them for that reason as well.  Additionally, my wife will put more rounds through the .22LR than I will.  On those trips where she accompanies me, that would mean taking one of my Glocks out of the rotation for me to practice with it as Gaston intended it.

As for your subjective opinion that a "22 LR based on the Kel Tec would have limited utility", the same dismissal could be said of ANY .22LR based conversion/version, could it not?  The "utility" of it is cheap practice at the range.  The advantage of .22LR's that are "cousins" to their "real" counterparts is that your practice is more realistic in most every aspect save recoil.  For all of the reasons that dry firing is helpful, shooting a .22LR version of the weapon is even better.

I too have heard many bad things about the Berettas.  And I know that there almost seems to be an undiscovered scientific reason that rim-fire auto-pistolery is so dodgy.[/quote]

There is nothing "tricky" about the AA conversion kit. If you can take the slide off your stock Glock for cleaning you can install the conversion. It really is that simple.

The utility part comes from my thinking that a 22 LR Kel Tec may be a jam o matic. Range sessions quickly become frustrating if every mag has a failure to feed. My experience with itty bitty 22s has not been favorable. Before the Kel Tec P32 a Walther TPH in 25 ACP was my pocket gun because I just don't trust small 22s.

One other thing I did not think of is the geometry of the Kel Tec may not allow for a 22 conversion. 22 LR mags have to be slanted because of the rims. Not sure if a Kel Tec grip would be adaptable to 22 LR.

Doc_Mark,

If you have a 100% reliable TP-22 cherish it and never sell it. A friend had a Walther TPH (of which the Iver Johnson is a knock off) in 22 LR and it was a jam o matic.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
clayflingythingy said:
One other thing I did not think of is the geometry of the Kel Tec may not allow for a 22 conversion. 22 LR mags have to be slanted because of the rims. Not sure if a Kel Tec grip would be adaptable to 22 LR.
That has been mentioned as a stumbling block for a KTP22.  Also, I've been told that the 22lr doesn't have enough power to operate a locked breech pistol like the P3.  So, they would have to make a totally different, blow back design that fits that frame.  You'd probably be better off starting over.  Anything P3-sized with a similar trigger system would make a great, cheap trainer and light, easily carried, fun plinker.  Of course we'd all buy one, but the small 22 market is more crowded and  doesn't seem to be Kel-tec's Niche anyway.  Still, we can hope.  The Shot Show is coming up.  :)

G

·
Dreadnought said:
[quote author=Nu_Agin_Shooter link=1197047550/0#3 date=1197049668]I have had a Buckmark, and a ruger, now I have a NEOS.  Occasional I shoot my buddies Walhter P22.
I contemplated the Rugers and the Buckmarks but the cleaning process is rather difficult and my wife insists on cleaning whatever firearm she shoots (good gal, she is :) ).

I also looked at the P22 and it really came down to a store counter decision between it and the SIG.  In the end the SIG reputation, my familiarity with SIGs, the ease of cleaning, the closer resemblance to a "real" gun all tipped the scales for me.[/quote]

no problem anymore cleaning most of these semi.s I just spray with high pressure non cholorinated auto cleaenrs from NAPA and it will clean all those nooks and crevices without taking all the way down. I have yet to completely take my
ruger MKIII down for a compelte cleaning. Spray clean, lue and shoot it like u stole it...

I have the ceiner 22 conversion for my sons glock 19 and there is zero modifications needed. take off the original slide and slide on the kit. nothing to do except shoot it like u stole it. The AA kit is a better kit thant he ceiner version IMO..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Before I had the pleasure of owning a P3AT, I carried a small black Jennings .22 as my primary CCW for a short time. It was the size and concealability of that Jennings that made me look to the direction of KelTec. Instead of getting a .22 conversion for the KelTec, I would more than likely just buy another .22 pistol to play with. I do occasionally practice with my .22 for the fun of it. I did the fluff and buff to that Jennings and it is actually quite reliable to shoot with out jams and misfeeds .....
Ohio Rusty

·
Registered
152 Posts
clayflingythingy said:
 (Big snip)  Doc_Mark,

If you have a 100% reliable TP-22 cherish it and never sell it. A friend had a Walther TPH (of which the Iver Johnson is a knock off) in 22 LR and it was a jam o matic.
Morning, ClayFT,

I guess we're very lucky, as we have two of those wonderful TP-22's and both of them are very reliable.  I used to carry and shoot mine so much, and most of the anodizing has worn off the frame!  But, Sweet Bride's still looks new, even though she's put quite a few rounds through it.  They weren't that expensive, back when we bought them.  But, both of us were surprised and pleased with their accuracy and reliability.  Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc Mark

P.S. BTW, sometime after we got those TP-22's, we got Sweet Bride a Beretta .25, the Model 950BS.  It appeared very well-made, and looked very nice.  However, it never functioned properly, and  jammed all the time.  Couldn't make it through even one magazine of ammo, in truth!!  We just figured we were "doing something wrong", and that we'd figure it out later.  So, into the safe it went, until years later.  I then took it out and while cleaning it, found that the magazine which came with the gun had a large crack, right down the back side of it!!!  So, that had been our problem, all along, and we were too stupid not to have noticed it, back then!!  Oh, well.....  We've never done anything about it, and that Beretta still lives in the safe, unfired, and unloved, of late.....  Go figure....

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mercedesrover said:
Hey Dreadnought, how do you like the Mosquito? I'm planning on buying on this weekend, so long as my local dealer has it.

I've been looking for a nice .22 for a while and this is the first one I like the looks of. I have a crappy Phoenix HP22 that's very unreliable, but fun to shoot all the same. (Not to mention cheap to shoot and doesn't make enough noise to upset the neighbors!) I'm hoping this Sig is reliable though I hear it can be picky about ammo.
Sorry about the late response. I like the SIG. It's like a 9/10 scale P226. To tell you the truth, it's VERY fun and I haven't had any ammo related problems yet (no problems whatsoever but often rim-fire pistols can be finicky about their diet).

My brother talked himself out of buying a Phoenix .22 this week :)

I would recommend the Mosquito if your budget can handle it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
clayflingythingy said:
There is nothing "tricky" about the AA conversion kit. If you can take the slide off your stock Glock for cleaning you can install the conversion. It really is that simple.

The utility part comes from my thinking that a 22 LR Kel Tec may be a jam o matic. Range sessions quickly become frustrating if every mag has a failure to feed. My experience with itty bitty 22s has not been favorable. Before the Kel Tec P32 a Walther TPH in 25 ACP was my pocket gun because I just don't trust small 22s.

By "tricky" I merely meant that the act of converting the existing Glock by means of the conversion kit is a "trick". As in "not OEM", or "not from the factory". As in, "those are some really trick wheels on your Camaro". Not a derogatory moniker, just a shorthand way of saying "non-stock".

And you could be right about a Kel-Tec .22 on the P3 frame being a "jam-o-matic". But you could be wrong. My question was purely hypothetical.

And the slant could be compensated for within the magazines.

Thanks for your opinions. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.