Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally thinking about a supressor for my p17. I figure its time to begin researching. Unfortunately bills will keep me from purchasing one for a while.
So now i can nit pick the details.

I am interested in most reduced sound at shooters ear. I am nit trying for Hollywood quiet as i will be using thunderbolt ammo almost exclusively.

So let the info begin!

·
Registered
92 Posts
As a matter of principal I refuse to buy a stamp for a suppressor. They are illegal...except if you have a fist full of cash to pay the price. Typical government BS!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I bought a Q Erector for mine. Currently sitting in the safe at Tennessee Silencer waiting for my stamp.

I was able to shoot it when it came in.

First, it’s a featherweight. Even as light as the P17 is, this suppressor is almost imperceptible.

Second, it’s quiet. It was my first time shooting a .22 suppressor so I don’t really have anything to compare it to, but the guys at the shop were really impressed. I shot in the full length configuration with all 10 baffles. I think ultimately I’ll probably run 7 or 8, as the pistol cycled pretty hard and there was a lot of blowback and unburnt powder to the face with the full length. I also don’t want to unnecessarily wear the internals.

Durability is just fine for my use, since I don’t plan to suppress anything else with it.

I’m really happy with my choice.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought a Q Erector for mine. Currently sitting in the safe at Tennessee Silencer waiting for my stamp.

I was able to shoot it when it came in.

First, it’s a featherweight. Even as light as the P17 is, this suppressor is almost imperceptible.

Second, it’s quiet. It was my first time shooting a .22 suppressor so I don’t really have anything to compare it to, but the guys at the shop were really impressed. I shot in the full length configuration with all 10 baffles. I think ultimately I’ll probably run 7 or 8, as the pistol cycled pretty hard and there was a lot of blowback and unburnt powder to the face with the full length. I also don’t want to unnecessarily wear the internals.

Durability is just fine for my use, since I don’t plan to suppress anything else with it.

I’m really happy with my choice.

Did you use high velocity or supressed rounds?
Can you give an example of what you t sounded lije at the shooters ear ?

Was the junk out of the chamber area over whelming? How bad was it?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Did you use high velocity or supressed rounds?
Can you give an example of what you t sounded lije at the shooters ear ?

Was the junk out of the chamber area over whelming? How bad was it?
Let’s see… I shot only CCI MiniMags, and they came out subsonic but right on the edge. If I remember right there were a couple among the three mags I shot that cracked.

The blowback wasn’t as bad as any AR15 normally running - that cloud of gas that you get. But, you know how when you shoot .22s your forearm gets sprinkled with unburnt powder? That but worse, and enough that I felt it on my face. So, definitely wear eye protection and shower when you get home. It was significant enough that I noticed it as a side effect of the sharper cycling of the slide. Different round’s may yield different behaviors. I suspect with fewer of the baffles it wouldn’t be a problem, but I’ll see whether that’s true when my stamp comes through.

The sound is hard to describe since, as I said, this was the first time I’ve shot a suppressed pistol. It was a low whump. Not Hollywood quiet by any stretch but definitely hearing safe. I was paying attention and did notice minor first round pop, but again I don’t have a frame of reference for how significant it was. As mentioned, the guys at TN Silencer we’re impressed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Can you describe sound at shooters ear? High velicity rounds? How bad is blow back?
No issues with blowback. The open slide helps dissipate the gasses quite well.

I ran it with all my standard and high velocity rounds.

It ran fine with everything from Winchester White Box, Remington Thunder, CCI Mini-Mags, PMC Zapper, CCI Standard Velocity, and Federal Auto Match.

Obviously it was much quieter with the Standard Velocity, but I didn't get the chance to listen without ear protection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts