Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran up on a green P17 at LGS on Dec 30 and bought it on the spot ($219.95). Took it straight to the range and was dismayed to find that about half the time rounds would not go into battery unless I nudged the side forward. This proved to be the case no matter the bullet weight or velocity of the round. The range owner/gunsmith had a variety of ammo for purchase (reasonably priced believe it or not). He cleaned the pistol up and lubed it, and it improved a bit, but the issue persisted. He took the slide off again and found that the extractor was stuck. He recommended sending it back to Kel-Tec unless I would sell it to him. So, I took the gun home, cleaned it up and decided to put some Deep Creep on the extractor. Next morning I was going to reassemble it and pack it up, when to my amazement, the extractor moved freely and sprung back into place just as it should. Range is closed until Tuesday, so I have not confirmed of this solved the problem, but "it's looking good so far." I'll post results midweek.

I've owned countless handguns and have never seen or heard of this type issue. The round from the mag starts up the feed ramp, but the stuck extractor makes it difficult for the cartridge rim to slide up the bolt face behind the extractor hook. Thought this post may assist anyone else who may experience this issue. Born on date unknown at this time but serial number is G4Pxx.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Range report: Started with 3 full mags of 25+ year old Thunderbolts. Had 3 duds with 1 FTE. Functioning was noticeably better, but of 48 rounds, I had to bump the slide forward maybe 4 or 5 times per mag. Next up were 3 mags of brand new Federal bulk CJHP. Oddly, 2 or 3 duds in that batch (smith found loose primer in cartridge), but functioning again improved to 2 or 3 instances of helping the slide close.

The smith advised trying various velocities and bullet types to find a sweet spot. Following tests were 5 rounds per mag rapid fire:

Started with Stand velocity, moving to progressively shower loads:
Armscor 40gr LRN 1135 fps - 4 of 5 ran, last round needed slide bump but fired
RWS Target Rifle 40gr LRN 1083 fps - 5 perfect
Remington 22 Subsonic LHP 40gr 1050 fps - 5 ran but slide did not lock back

Next up, highest velocity working down:
Aguila Supermax Hyper Velocity 30gr CJHP 1700 fps - 4 fired 1 FTF, likely over cycling
CCI Stinger 32gr CPHP - 4 fired 1 FTF, again likely over cycling
Aguila Interceptor 40gr CPSP 1470fps - 5 perfect
Aguila Super Extra 38gr CPHP 1280 fps - 5 perfect
Federal bulk (old) 36gr CPHP 1280 fps - 5 perfect
Cascade High Velocity 40gr CPSP 1250 fps - 5 perfect

Ended session with full mag of Federal bulk (old) 36gr CPHP 1280 fps - 15 of 16 ran great with final FTF

Takeaways:
Functioning is greatly improved, although not yet where it needs to be.
Sweet spot for this pistol is, as owners manual recommends, high velocity ammo (but not too high)..
36-40gr copper plated seems to be best, with no preference for solid or hollow point.

Hope this helps a bit...can you tell I used to be a computer programmer?

Will report after next range trip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Final report. After thorough cleaning per owners manual (Hoppes #9 solvent and oil wipe), went to the range with 3 full mags of Federal bulk (old) 36grCPHP 1280fps. Had to "help" first round chamber, then flawless cycling for all three mags. Loaded 5 at a time of same stuff and started grouping shots at 7 yards and 25 yards from a rest. One hundred or so total rounds without a malfunction. Switched to RWS target loads as before and 1 of 5 had to be "helped" into battery. Next 5 flawless. Ran a mag of Agulia Interceptors perfectly. Just out of curiosity tried a mag with 5 rounds of CCI Clean Red Tips and had a FTF. Finished with 5 more rounds of Agulia Interceptors perfectly.

Takeways:
300 or so rounds to break in with intervening 2 cleanings.
Subsonic ammo (less than 1125 fps) caused issues periodically but may run after a few more rounds, although Kel-tec rightly recommends only high velocity ammo.
Hypervelocity lightweight bullets did not do well and really slammed the slide back. I'll not be shooting them in this pistol again.
I was very concerned with this pistol early on, but it has earned my respect now. It is extremely fun to shoot and is an excellent training gun and quite accurate. At 7 yards you can cover a 5 shot group easily with a quarter.

My P17 was manufactured on Dec 11, 2020, and, you guessed it...a Friday.
YMMV

1 - 4 of 4 Posts