Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the chance to run 200 rounds through the P17 recently.
The gun ran OK but far from the past (800+ rounds) when it had very few issues.
Outdoor temperature was 80 deg F, about 30% Relative Humidity (RH).
Results>>>
Light strikes or failure to ignite: 1 (Golden Bullet)
Stuck spent cartridge case: 2 (Golden Bullet, Federal)
Stove Pipe: 5 (all brands)
Failure to eject with attempt to feed (double trouble): 6 (Golden Bullet, Federal)
Failure to feed, bolt did not close: 9 (all brands)

The most troubling were the stuck casings. The case was so tightly stuck that it would not come out without using a rod (aluminum) to push it back out, inserting from the muzzle end (slide removed). Never seen that before with any other 22 LR or firearm. The extractor would not hold to the case rim when the slide was cycled.
The first 100 rounds of ammo was Remington Golden Bullets. The next 50 was Federal Champion Bulk and the final 50 was CCI Mini-Mags. Most issues came after shooting the first 75 rounds.
My theory as to why the drastic change in reliability is: a) The P17 went to Kel Tec for repair and the bolt was one of the items replaced. It may have not been broken in yet, on the old slide rails. b) Golden Bullets produce a lot of black burnt powder residue. It probably fouled the barrel bore to the point that the cases expanded and "glued" in once fired. However, I fired hundreds of Golden Bullets before with only a few issues, though one was a ruptured case, the reason for sending to Kel Tec for service. c) Perhaps there was lubrication/residue in the bore I didn't see that mixed with spent gun powder residue to produce a paste/glue. I inspected it before shooting and it looked clean though.

The P17 had a lot of fowling behind the barrel and on the bolt face when I disassembled to clean.

Hopefully it doesn't happen again. Felt like a tap and rack clearing test. I will use less fowling CCI and Federal ammunition next time and see how that works.

Trigw

·
Registered
441 Posts
As someone who shoots primarily 22lr, I've had plenty of stuck cases. So many that I now carry a rod in my range bag. Alot of times the case is stuck because it split.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never had a stuck cartridge until my last outing with the P17. Even the 22LR that ruptured in the P17 previously came out easily. That not only includes 22LR but thousands of 9mm, 380 ACP and 5.56mm/.223 .
I must not shoot enough 22LR though :)

As someone who shoots primarily 22lr, I've had plenty of stuck cases. So many that I now carry a rod in my range bag. Alot of times the case is stuck because it split.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've also had my share of stuck 22lr cases. If you don't want to pack a rod, most car antennas work perfectly, in a pinch.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have a piece of aluminum rod that fits perfect. Didn't think I'd ever need it, other than maybe a stuck bullet (squib).
I was wrong. Used it twice last outing.

Trigw

I've also had my share of stuck 22lr cases. If you don't want to pack a rod, most car antennas work perfectly, in a pinch.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A thought occurred to me. If a car antenna works as a stuck case pusher, the P17 is light enough to stay on my antenna if left there. That is, if somebody forgot to take it off. It would be very strange to see a vehicle driving around with a gun there. Imagine what law enforcement would think/do... NOT!
:)

Trigw

·
Registered
41 Posts
A. Rem. Golden Bullet is crap and I wouldn't take it for free.
2. Every 300-400 rounds of .22 I clean the extractor, chamber, and bolt face, and lightly oil the side rails.
III. Stick to good, cleaner ammo like CCI.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As I found out. I bought the Golden Bullets a long while ago for $18 for a box of 550 (6 boxes).
Times have changed....
Will have to use them in the SR22. It takes anything without an issue.

Trigw

p.s. I clean after every use which works out to be about 200-300 rounds.
Black soot in there even after 50 rounds.
About the same amount of soot as my 9mm after about a thousand.

A. Rem. Golden Bullet is crap and I wouldn't take it for free.
2. Every 300-400 rounds of .22 I clean the extractor, chamber, and bolt face, and lightly oil the side rails.
III. Stick to good, cleaner ammo like CCI.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My problems went away when I started loading the magazines by tapping the back of the magazines at 8 rounds loaded, then every 2. Every other malfunction has either been a crap tonne of gunk in the gun or just crap ammo (Winchester white box 333) that wouldn't even cycle a single round and of course get the case stuck in the mouth of the barrel. Armscor has been amazing running without a single problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts