Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

P17 alternative (light trigger)

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jstert 
#1 ·
Ironically, the Kel-Tec business is only 16 miles from my house, but to no avail... Trying to get my hands on a P17 Isn’t going well. My SW 642 (38spl) is too heavy physically, and specifically way too heavy trigger for my wife. In the meantime, what would be a good alternative? Looking for a small/compact semi, ideally a poly frame, similar capacity, and light slide and trigger. Any experience with the same dilemma? Any recommendations appreciated. I actually did get to hold one that was having a holster custom made at a local shop. Would like to pick up two so I could also carry a back-up, as well as getting the wife setup. Years ago she shot a 9mm some, so the bang factor isn’t an issue, just age and strength catching up with us.

#4 ·
Forget the Ruger and I have the problem you mention. The TX is not bad but large, I have 2 TX's a black and an FDE. You should go to a shop and test trigger and slide action. The LCP 2 22 Ruger brags of EZ slide and light trigger, it has neither. I did an Mcarbo trigger spring mod and did little to improve trigger. The S&W 380 EZ Performance Center was similar to the TX22 Taurus trigger, you may want to test is you desire a larger caliber. Another nice .22 is Walther PPQ .22 nice trigger but large frame. None of these can compare to the P17 or PMR30 Kel-Tec's for ease of operation by far.

Also I have been learning/practising to pull trigger 1/2 way up trigger finger, knuckle joint closest to hand. with my left hand hold, I rest the lower thumb of left hand against my trigger fingertip that sticks out the left side, causing trigger finger to bend at joint, this seems to add strength to my trigger finger.

I have a form of Myositis, weakness throughout body but extremities suffer the most. It can start in late 40's early 50's and progress for rest of life. Effects something like 1 in 100,000. I am 70 but still function about 80%. Gave up Motorcycles last year after 50+ years, Not easy to fix things like car repairs, brake jobs etc. but still do, just takes 4 time longer.

#5 ·
There are any number of small single action autos that have amazing triggers. I use the sig 938, also available in 380 as the 238. Many of these have an exposed 1911 hammer that removes this from the slide rack, making that easy (only thing fighting you is recoil spring). Poly frame on these is a bit more rare, you may want to give that up -- the extra weight of a metal frame helps the recoil management, and they are not *that* heavy due to their tiny size. A lot of the micro single shots are going to be single stack mags, so 8 shots or so, maybe more in like a 32.

#6 ·
my 22lr suggestions:
ruger sr22, reliable, handy, small enough to ccw with a decent holster.

s&w 317, very lightweight, smooth trigger.

ruger lcr, stouter trigger and a bit heavier than a s&w 317.

ruger bearcat, a mechanical jewel but single action only.

i have and absolutely cannot recommend a ruger lcp 22lr, mags painful to load, much rougher to handle than a sr22.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.