Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even KelTec on their own website does not suggest this gun is worth more than $199-
Well, I'm having trouble finding it at that price.

$249 - $299 I'm seeing if it's in stock.

I'm not one of thoe supply and demand fools. I will not pay a penny more than MSRP.
Especially when I know that the distributors are buying them up for a hefty discount below MSRP.

Does anyone know how to email Kel Tec? Do they have a factory store onsite in Cocoa FL?
Is anyone selling these guns that isn't a pig? Any dark color will do.

BTW: Am I the only one who thinks the barrel is too long? For CCW, it'd be nice to have a barrel that is 3.5" or less.

·
Registered
271 Posts
As far as I know KT doesn’t sell on site, only through distributors.

Unfortunately, if you’re not willing to tolerate the reality of supply and demand your only options are to give up your search or buy a used one of you can find one for MSRP or less.

They do have contact information on their website.

·
Super Moderator
10,745 Posts
I'm also disappointed that I still can't buy a P17 below MSRP. I knew there would be strong initial demand, but I didn't think it would persist for this long. I shot a friend's P17 and it's nice. There was some firing pin pinging on the chamber face despite not dry firing it. It seems that Kel-Tec still needs to tweak the mechanical design or heat treating. Like seemingly all 22 LR firearms, there was some ammo preferences but that usually becomes less pronounced after an extended break-in.

I'd be reluctant to purchase a used P17. That seems like a good way to buy a problem gun someone is getting out of their collection, or a worn out gun that was someone's flavor-of-the-day inexpensive-to-shoot range toy, and in either case, that's not a good time not to have the unlimited lifetime warranty for the original purchaser.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
If you carry it at the 3 to 3:30 position its a no brainer. If you carry appendix then yeah it might be a bit troublesome.
If you want msrp or lower your going to have a long wait. It hasnt saturated the market enough to get the price down.
If you want a smaller option then the lcpii 22lr ir lcr 22lr arr also viable options.
They arr all about the same weight.
My lcpii 22lr rums like a champ amd is so slim its the easiest of the three to ccw. I am currently waiting on the wingman +4 mag extension and the threaded barrel. Not so much for surpession but extra bit of velicity.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't be the only one in this crowd with a memory of a time when no one would buy anything that isn't discounted from MSRP. Are we all so cushy now that we no longer care. If we keep paying a premium over sticker price, or MSRP, then it will surely become the norm. Is that what we want, a world where MSRP is the minimum price rather than the maximum price we're willing to pay? "Supply and demand" sounds like an excuse to me. If you see that demand is exceeding supply, make more instead of raising prices. These guns are not made with Taiwanese computer chips.

·
Registered
271 Posts
KelTec sell every gun they manufacture. Kellgren has been clear about his business philosophy of staying in the black, which means just ramping up production to meet demand isn’t really on the table as a short term way to prevent the market from charging a premium over MSRP.

You treat MSRP as if it’s supposed to be a price set in stone, which is wrong. “Suggested” is in the acronym. Every product is subject to supply and demand, regardless of your personal feelings on it. That’s always been the case. It just happens that for a variety of reasons the demand for KTs and firearms in general has been rapidly increasing for the last couple of decades.

Does it suck that the market price for a P17 doesn’t align with your expectations? Clearly. Is it legitimate for you to complain about it? Sure. Does that change reality? Nope.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
No one is comfortable about the situation. The demand for kel tec weapons has always out paced the supply. Its not kel tec fault that retailers are taking advantage of it. Look at ammo retailers.
These guns will be sold above msrp until market is saturated. I was able to get mine from the occasional honest retailer. I grabbed it right away.
If you take your time you can find them near the MSRP. They won't be below for several years to come. Even now look at the competitors offereings. The p17 is still at least 100.00 or more below thier asking price. Its still the better deal out there.

Do i wish kel tec would gear up to produce more to flood.market? Heck yes. But I would rather them stay in business and comtinue to produce innovative weapons. It is what it is. Markets for eveything is changing. Keep looking. a deal will show up. Deligence and perseverance will prevail.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Fact is...when the P17 came out for around $140 I would guess the vast majority of .22 handgun owners said.....ohhh He!! no to a KelTec cheap piece of crap. I was one of them. I had other makes and did not see the reason to buy the P17 to waste my money. Oppps...the word spread, yep some had problems, butttttttt they were not 100% unreliable by any means. Most of the problems a chimp with 2 hours of gun maintenance training can repair so the word got around...sales increased and now the price is pretty much a toss up from dealer to dealer. At $249 from Rural King a few months ago I am not one bit angry I paid a few dollars over MSRP for a firearm I am 100% satisfied with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Even KelTec on their own website does not suggest this gun is worth more than $199-

I'm not one of thoe supply and demand fools. I will not pay a penny more than MSRP.
Especially when I know that the distributors are buying them up for a hefty discount below MSRP.

Does anyone know how to email Kel Tec? Do they have a factory store onsite in Cocoa FL?

BTW: Am I the only one who thinks the barrel is too long? For CCW, it'd be nice to have a barrel that is 3.5" or less.
We had this conversation on an earlier thread. while at 15 yards I can put all 16 rounds into a 4” inch circle even with hollow points unless your shooting directly into the face of an attacker this gun is not and I repeat not a carry conceal defense weapon that’s why I carry a bursa thunder plus with a 15 round magazine with hollow points but I can’t shoot all 15 rounds in a 4” inch circle only an 8” circle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We had this conversation on an earlier thread. while at 15 yards I can put all 16 rounds into a 4” inch circle even with hollow points unless your shooting directly into the face of an attacker this gun is not and I repeat not a carry conceal defense weapon that’s why I carry a bursa thunder plus with a 15 round magazine with hollow points but I can’t shoot all 15 rounds in a 4” inch circle only an 8” circle
Should I assume your Bersa Thunder plus is a .308 ACP?

·
Registered
271 Posts
No 380 also referred to as 9mm short I also have a Bursa Thunder it’s a bit more accurate than the plus but only 8 plus 1
.380 ACP is 9mm short… I’d bet Charles mistyped it as .308

But if you’re in that space why not drop half the weight and some of the size and go with a Ruger LCP Max?

Also, I carried a Bersa Thunder 380 cc for a short time. The metal quality was so poor the slide stop bent from regular practice to the point it wouldn’t hold the slide back even with the pressure from the magazine inside. Wouldn’t trust any Bersa for serious carry. It’s heavy and the grip is bulky. If you want a PPK go with that - it’s actually both quality and cool.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've shot a LOT of .22 semiauto pistols. I have a P17 that I haven't shot yet, so I don't include this in my next statement. The two most reliable .22 semiauto pistols I've shot were a pre 1968 Walther PPK and a Beretta Model 21. Either of those pistols shot any ammo it was fed, as long as you want to shoot it. Old ammo, new ammo, cheap ammo, target ammo, dirty ammo, clean ammo, you name it. If you can get them in the magazine, those two pistols seem to work with them. I dropped the Walther in fine dry sand one day, picked it up, blew it off and emptied it as fast as I could without a hiccup.

For what it's worth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
.380 ACP is 9mm short… I’d bet Charles mistyped it as .308

But if you’re in that space why not drop half the weight and some of the size and go with a Ruger LCP Max?

Also, I carried a Bersa Thunder 380 cc for a short time. The metal quality was so poor the slide stop bent from regular practice to the point it wouldn’t hold the slide back even with the pressure from the magazine inside. Wouldn’t trust any Bersa for serious carry. It’s heavy and the grip is bulky. If you want a PPK go with that - it’s actually both quality and cool.
I own a Max as well but it’s only 12 mag and not that accurate at 15 yards but I carry it more often than not

·
Registered
18 Posts

Unfortunately, it is all about supply and demand. I paid $259 for mine and felt lucky to have found one that inexpensive. The craziest over MSRP pricing now days seems to be on new cars. Some of those prices makes my head spin but as long as people pay it, it will stay that way going forward.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Going by the MRSP is not going to do much good for a model that has been on the market for a while. It has either demonstrated it is a POS, or a very good firearm that is widely liked and desired. No one jumps for joy when a new firearm is listed for a MRSP of $700 and is selling for $579 when your LGS starts selling it...because it is just taken for granted the MRSP is inflated and the firearm is not going to sell for that price. DO some research of how much firearms (as with ammo) has risen in price over the past few years. I can not see how anyone can think the cost of a P17 has gotten ridiculous with a Lifetime warranty and some pretty good customer service reps on the phone when you contact them. Parts are very inexpensive and those people that claim KelTec will not sell are usually the ones demanding or expecting the rep to bend over and kis....well you know. A little courtesy and respect goes a long way for the reps to assist in solving problems.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Check this out!!!! 200.00!!!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts