Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
Like Henry Ford said about the Model T: "You can have any color you want ... as long as it's black."

In the case of George Kellgren: "You can have any slide finish you want ... as long as it's a thin, flimsy, easily-rusting blued finish." :D

I'm sure they'll eventually offer some kinda Cerakote finish and maybe even a hard-chromed or nickel finish (the latter absolutely being the one I would prefer). TFB TV did an early review of the P15 the other day, and the guy was already saying to pretty much plan on applying your own protective finish (even if it's just Rustoleum) if you live in any kind of a climate that involves heat, humidity, and sweat. Sooooo ... KT did pretty good in sticking to the P11's roots, I guess. Perhaps a bit too much, because the crappy so-called "blued" finish I had on my first P11 was forever a source of frustration when trying to deal with preventing rust. (My "solution" was to coat it with VHT brake caliper paint and bake it on, which worked for a decent amount of time, but still flaked off eventually. A thin coating of spray-on bedliner on my similarly poopy "blued" P32 has been holding up well for years.)

·
Premium Member
5,035 Posts
I have read in several articles that the all metal version has a nitrided slide. Do you know if that is correct?
Multiple online sales sites cite that the slide is nitrided.

I haven't found anything on Kel Tec's website or other official statements which state that it's nitrided.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
5,035 Posts
So if the slide is nitrided, there wouldn't be any point in having the slide refinished except for cosmetics.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
725 Posts
So if the slide is nitrided, there wouldn't be any point in having the slide refinished except for cosmetics.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
yes. info in person from factory visit. and now I am more conflicted over which version to get over grip feel. alloy is "rounder', more hand filling. poly slimmer and more rectangular. both feel good, just different. I bet the alloy could be fitted with even thinner after market grip panels that would split the difference. I suspect the alloy's wider grip might suck up recoil a bit better. is it worth the $? can't decide. but love the triggers. and I held a p40 and p9 at the same visit and world of difference in a good way.
too bad few people will be able to hold both versions at the same time. I might suggest keltec make a dummy version available to dealers to boost alloy sales
There were definitely no promises made, but sounds like we should see the alloy version shipping to either side of new years. they are currently being assembled.
sounded like delays from the original Q2 shipping was due to LOTS of test firing in order to avoid any first generation issues. i sure hope so because they are really sweet feeling pistols.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts