Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Would you buy a P15?

• Right now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Probably

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Maybe, after the street price drops and the rolling upgrades are implemented

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Probably not

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Not interested

Votes: 1 7.1%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chad does a great job showing us the P15 on the bench, with not only a review of the features, field stripping and reassembly, but also the innovative safety assist selector.

Position 1: Grip safety and magazine disconnect safety
Position 2: No safeties
Position 3: Grip safety only

I'm no fan of external safeties on defensive pistols, but I like a trigger safety (the Glock dingus) and drop safety. I don't think a grip safety is quite as safe as a trigger safety, although understanding of either's limitations are required along with care to safely handle a concealed firearm with either. I can definitely see the value of disabling the magazine disconnect safety but I'm not sure about offering a pistol intended for concealed carry with a provision to disable all safeties. I'd probably carry this in position 3, with just the grip safety, and I'd be very careful not to depress the grip safety when drawing and particularly when reholstering the pistol.

I have been considering the purchase of a Sig P365XL but the P15 might fit that niche. There's a lot to like here for $450. Tritium rear sights and tritium and fiberoptic front sights standard. That's very nice.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Kel tec always has great concepts. The safety functions and the ability to choose or turn them off completely. satisfies highly regulated markets and free markets all in one.
I want to see how it perfoms and is reviewed once it gets in the hands of everyday users.
I cant wait for the aluminum frame to come out.

·
Super Moderator
10,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check out the dimension comparison.
It about same size as the p17.
The P15 is smaller in every dimension than the P17, and significantly (over 25%) thinner, and only 3 ounces heavier when empty. Of course, loaded with 9mm, it'll be a fair amount heavier than the loaded P17, but Kel-Tec has repeatedly made smaller concealed carry pistols in every class, since the company was founded. It's kinda their thing. The competition for smaller and higher capacity is fierce. It'll be very interesting to see how Kel-Tec stacks up against the P365, Hellcat, etc. Those are the in-class size comparisons that are the most meaningful. The most significant dimension for concealed carry is the thickness. How Kel-Tec squozed a double stack 9mm into a mere 0.88" thick is bordering on black magic.

Is there any well known firearms manufacturer who still DOESN'T make a striker fired 9mm?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I saw one get sold on gunbroker a couple days ago at a shop right here in Melbourne Fla, near Keltec for $475! and found another at an online shop!
Any word on if the all metal version has started to ship?

·
Super Moderator
10,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
James from TFB-TV has a YouTube video up on the P-15 and comments from George himself.
I found two P15 videos from The Firearms Blog.

6 Minute SHOT Show coverage from ten months ago:

The 12 round P11 mags from the Jurrasic era are flush fit in the P15. Whoa. That's crazy.

15 minute review from five days ago with George Kellgren:

George Kellgren - Gotta love a firearms engineer with a Machinist's Handbook and a bottle of Loctite on his shelf.

·
Premium Member
5,035 Posts
The P15 is smaller in every dimension than the P17, and significantly (over 25%) thinner
The over-all length is almost exactly the same. The P17 is definitely taller, but the length is nearly identical. With the 15-round mag in the P15, it is about 1/3" shorter; with the flush-fit mag, the P17 is at least an inch shorter, possibly more. You're spot on about the width: 0.88" for the P15 and 1.2" for the P17, making the P17 about 3/10" more narrow.

Auto part Font Automotive tire Bicycle part Gun barrel

[Handgun Hero P17 v P15 facing up]

Trigger Line Gun barrel Air gun Gun accessory

[Handgun Hero P17 v P15 back-to-back]

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Recreation

[Handgun Hero P17 v P15 - Overlay P17 faded]

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

[Handgun Hero P17 v P15 - Overlay - P15 on top]

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: RAT76

·
Registered
725 Posts
I plan to do another trip to the cocoa plant and doa another comparison between the polymer and aluminum ones.If my vote is still the all metal, I may pay msrp and get one when they first show up. I'm close enough to take it in to get any "bug " fixes taken care of while I wait

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Looks like a nice pistol. I hope it will be a totally reliable gun so I can get one. I have the Ruger LC9 now, but want more capacity too so this pistol could be swapped out as my EDC depending on how I dress. I'm not going to be paying $450-500 though, I'll wait.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts