Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased one from Kel-tec and received it yesterday. When I try to install it on my P11, the screw holes are place too high up on the side of the shoe, so the end result is the screws only partially touch the trigger side and it keeps coming loose from my trigger when I try to tighten them down. Plus, the screws keep eating grooves into my trigger where I've attempted install it several times. I'm contemplating using crazy glue in addition to the side screws, but don't want to compromise my trigger too bad, so I'm a little reluctant to do this. The last shoe I purchased installed perfectly on a previous P11 I used to own, so I'm confused as to why this one is a problem. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and taken a different route to secure the trigger shoe to the trigger.

·
Registered
40 Posts
it may be a defective shoe. the one I have kept coming loose. I finally took it off. if you glue the shoe on you will not be able to remove the grip from the receiver.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
it may be a defective shoe. the one I have kept coming loose. I finally took it off. if you glue the shoe on you will not be able to remove the grip from the receiver.
Unless you notch the grip so the trigger with the shoe will fit. Someone did this a few years ago!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I had no issues with mine, Possibly defective ? i would not permanently attach it without first notching the trigger hole wider in case you need to ever totally dismantle the gun. I would just replace the shoe with one that's not junk and when it does finally go together the way it should, use a little thread locker BLUE so it does not wiggle out. (it will eventually if not )

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Someone had installed a shoe and notched the grip on my p11, never had a problem with it shooting alot of rounds through it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i had the same problem with mine. seems like the set screws are placed too far forward.

i can't decide whether to get one of those aluminum triggers, or get a new plastic trigger from kel-tec and drill little dimples in the side of the trigger to make sure it seats properly and doesn't slide forward, deforming the plastic.

i'm carrying it around without a trigger shoe now. but shooting it definitely feels better with a trigger shoe.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I suppose I could consider the new aluminum trigger, but spending an extra $55 on a $250 weapon might be questionable. I bought the p11 because of its mag capacity and reliability (and the price, of course). I purchased the trigger shoe so I could plink off some target rounds and still be able to hold a spoon to eat with afterwards (haha). I have to admit, the new trigger would be a nice added feature, but unless I plan on lots of target practice, I think the cost might outweigh the benefit just enough to convince me to hold off purchasing the new trigger right now.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I suppose I could consider the new aluminum trigger, but spending an extra $55 on a $250 weapon might be questionable. I bought the p11 because of its mag capacity and reliability (and the price, of course). I purchased the trigger shoe so I could plink off some target rounds and still be able to hold a spoon to eat with afterwards (haha). I have to admit, the new trigger would be a nice added feature, but unless I plan on lots of target practice, I think the cost might outweigh the benefit just enough to convince me to hold off purchasing the new trigger right now.

Well look at it this way, instead of a $250 small 9mm with a crappy feeling trigger, you've got a small 9mm with a much nicer trigger for $300.

It's your pistol and your money. To me the upgrade was well worth it, now I can actually enjoy shooting my P11 and don't have to worry about the crummy cobbled on shoe falling off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, good point. Does the trigger reduce the stinging when firing several rounds? Also, did you install yours yourself and, if so, how difficult was it?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes much better feel and no pain or stinging like the stock trigger. That nasty hook on the bottom used to make my finger sore, none of that anymore.

I did it myself. For me it was easy but I'm a tinkerer anyway still it's not real difficult. If you're a DIY and at least somewhat mechanically inclined it's do-able. I dunno if I'd recommend it as a first time project though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm waiting for some funds to free up so I can buy the Nothwoods Trigger. The shoe sold by KelTec seems hoaky and a designed point of failure when you need to depend on the gun. I don't want to risk it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I just Bit on a northwood trigger. I've had no problems at all with my stock one; have shot 200+ rounds with no soreness :). But, figured if it's as great as everyone says it is, it'll just make a great gun even better! It was a last minute purchase as a bday present to myself, hopefully I enjoy it. I'll be sure to comment on the difficulty of assembly

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just Bit on a northwood trigger. I've had no problems at all with my stock one; have shot 200+ rounds with no soreness :). But, figured if it's as great as everyone says it is, it'll just make a great gun even better! It was a last minute purchase as a bday present to myself, hopefully I enjoy it. I'll be sure to comment on the difficulty of assembly
Please do comment on the difficulty of the trigger installation and happy belated birthday!

·
Registered
139 Posts
The stock P-11 trigger is the absolute WORST trigger of any gun I have ever shot and I have shot a lot of them.

I bought the P-11 trigger shoe for the same reason that everyone else has. But in my opinion, I wasted my money for a piece of junk.

The set screws bite into a plastic trigger. Regardless of what you do, short of super gluing the shoe to the trigger, it WILL come loose, some times in as little as 4 or 5 shots. You can re-tighten the screws and they will bite deeper and deeper into the plastic trigger until you run out of threads. Additionally, the shoe adds to the length of pull making the gun even more uncomfortable to shoot for those with smaller hands and shorter fingers.

A more ergonomically friendly trigger will make this pistol a whole lot more pleasant to shoot.

I often thought about designing a metal version of the trigger, but I simply do not have the resources. I am glad that POPS took it upon himself to do the necessary R&D to develop and manufacture this trigger.

Looking at the aluminum Northwood trigger, the fact alone that it has a more open contour and wider face, make it a whole lot more comfortable than the stock trigger, with the additional benefit of being more durable than the stock plastic trigger. That alone makes it a winner for me, so I just ordered one last night.

If you are a KTOG member with enough meaningful forum posts to be able to access the "Trading Post" section here, you can get a coupon code and get a KTOG discount. This makes it even more attractive.

Keep in mind that the installation requires some gunsmithing knowledge, so make sure to read the Installation Guide before you buy it, so that you know what is required for the installation.

·
Registered
611 Posts
efhole said:
Please do comment on the difficulty of the trigger installation and happy belated birthday!
Thanks, will do. I'm far from a gunsmith expert, but I think as long as you follow the directions nothing terribly bad can go wrong. In fact, until I recently installed a new slide stop, I was terrified to do anything more than a basic field strip. I've read over the directions many times and think I could probably do it in my sleep right now :p

·
Registered
611 Posts
Received and installed my trigger last night. If you can read the directions, you can do it. I'm surprised just how easy it was. I didn't have to do any modification to the trigger, just open the grip opening for it. Hardest part was removing my old trigger because it was barbed and I was trying to not hit it hard. Spent probably 30minutes trying to pull it out with some wire cutters (of course my pliers disappear when I need them); I eventually gAve up on that, took it outside and gave it a good whack and it came right out. Reinstall was a breeze, except for opening the grip up. I only had sandpaper though, I'm sure it would quicker with a good file. Overall it took my just shy of 2hours, but again, most of that was trying to remove the old trigger and open up my grip. If you have a setup where you can get a good whack at the trigger the first time and have a good file, I could see you doing it in an hour or less. Also should mention that the 2 hours involved me cleaning my gun completely as well (didn't clean it after the last outing :()

·
Registered
4 Posts
RadRacer said:
Received and installed my trigger last night. If you can read the directions, you can do it. I'm surprised just how easy it was. I didn't have to do any modification to the trigger, just open the grip opening for it. Hardest part was removing my old trigger because it was barbed and I was trying to not hit it hard. Spent probably 30minutes trying to pull it out with some wire cutters (of course my pliers disappear when I need them); I eventually gAve up on that, took it outside and gave it a good whack and it came right out. Reinstall was a breeze, except for opening the grip up. I only had sandpaper though, I'm sure it would quicker with a good file. Overall it took my just shy of 2hours, but again, most of that was trying to remove the old trigger and open up my grip. If you have a setup where you can get a good whack at the trigger the first time and have a good file, I could see you doing it in an hour or less. Also should mention that the 2 hours involved me cleaning my gun completely as well (didn't clean it after the last outing :()
So what's the verdict? I'm stoked to hear range impressions.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts