Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got it new and loved it till the trigger when limp and won't reset. Trigger has no tention onit at all. So its on its way to sunny Fla. anybody have similar problem?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured it was something simple but never took the base apart and didn't want to as its new. So its already on its way, but thanks. Any idea if this happens a lot or probably never again. I may actually need it one day and can't have doubt init.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The spring popping out can sometimes be cause by not putting grease on the trigger bar, it happened to me when the gun was new , added grease never has happened again. Based on what the op said, I wonder if he fully cleaned and oiled the gun before his 350 rounds went down range.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
There seemed to be quite a few issues like this in the November 09 time frame. IIRC, it was only for a short period of time, but it seemed like every other day there was a thread about it! There were a lot of responses about applying grease to the trigger bar channel, dog legging the trigger bar spring and deepening the channel. It was for a short period of time though. Keltec may have had a bad batch of trigger bars or springs. It isnt posted as much anymore. I own 3 P11's and have never experienced it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again. I cleaned and lubed the slide, barrell, guide rod etc. But didn't go and removed pins and take it apart etc as I believe warranty info says not to.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Thanks again. I cleaned and lubed the slide, barrell, guide rod etc. But didn't go and removed pins and take it apart etc as I believe warranty info says not to.
Your caution is a good thing, but I don't know where you got that idea from. It's not part of the warranty verbage in the P-11 User Manual.

In fact, KT will send you parts for free to do your own repair, which would require you to take the frame off the grip. They will also sell you a new grip in a different color. And factory sold accessories like the belt clip obviously require you to drive out one pin and replace it with another. All without voiding the warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This same problem happened to me at about 350 rounds. I also sent the gun into Kel Tec to have it fixed, and have roughly 500 more rounds and no problems. I have also stripped the gun down to the point where I now see I could have easily fixed it myself.

Anyways, it's said to put grease in the trigger bar groove. Would a drop or two of lubrication work just as well?

·
Registered
201 Posts
There seemed to be quite a few issues like this in the November 09 time frame. IIRC, it was only for a short period of time, but it seemed like every other day there was a thread about it! There were a lot of responses about applying grease to the trigger bar channel, dog legging the trigger bar spring and deepening the channel. It was for a short period of time though. Keltec may have had a bad batch of trigger bars or springs. It isnt posted as much anymore. I own 3 P11's and have never experienced it!
Yes, they did have some bad batches of trigger bars. The grooves weren't machined quite deep enough.

I had this very same failure at about 400 rounds.

My experience of first having my smith fix it was that it failed again after only 20 - 30 rounds. I sent it in to KT and they replaced the whole trigger assembly (their description not mine).

Being this is my primary carry piece, I needed to feel comfortable that it was never going to happen again.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The spring jumped out of the grove 2 times on mine I have since deepened the grove and have had no problems in the last 100rds, but I no longer use my P11 as my carry because I lost faith in it. Maybe if it makes it through a few 100 more rds with no problems ill start to carry it again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to know I can work onit without problem. I started carrying lately for a reason and need to make sure its fixed right. I would hate to say, excuse me sir while I pop this spring back on.

Maybe if it happens again I will strip it down further. But if it happens again I will probably sell it towards a different brand. I love it but its like a crazy girlfriend, if she flips out once you can figure on it happening again.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The spring popping out can sometimes be cause by not putting grease on the trigger bar, it happened to me when the gun was new , added grease never has happened again. Based on what the op said, I wonder if he fully cleaned and oiled the gun before his 350 rounds went down range.
Some times the bar does not have a deep enough groove to retain the spring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes they mentioned they may have to do same. I am missing it though, been a couple weeks since they signed for the delivery. Hard to hide a 12g when out for a walk.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For me I used whinchester white box fmj, then bought some Hornady Critcal Defense. That day I shooting both, rapid fire when it happened. I figure no matter how many times you practice ur gonna dump 5 or 6 quick when SHTF. It would be nice if gun could.

·
Registered
187 Posts
For me I used whinchester white box fmj, then bought some Hornady Critcal Defense. That day I shooting both, rapid fire when it happened. I figure no matter how many times you practice ur gonna dump 5 or 6 quick when SHTF. It would be nice if gun could.

do you let your finger fly off the trigger when you rapid fire, or do you keep it pulled so you can realign your sites and shot easier?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts