Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Please do a search for +P to see the many other posts on this topic. In short - there is no official spec for +P in .380, so you might be suspicious of anything marked with that designation. Also, there is 1 brand of .380 which specifically states that it should not be used in the P3AT because it is too high power for this gun. Finally, KT says that you should not use "regular" high power ammo in this gun on a regular basis - just too light weight to handle it.

Hope this helps...

G

·
WOW---I did a search of the Kel TEc P3AT manual and guess what?

Page 4

"SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS AND WARNINGS
AMMUNITION: The P-3AT Pistol is designed and chambered for the .380 Auto
cartridge. Do not use any other ammuntion. The P-3AT will accept +P
ammuntion, however not with continuous use."

That is odd considering there is no such thing as +P 380 ammo.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Nu_Agin_Shooter said:
WOW---I did a search of the Kel TEc P3AT manual and guess what?

Page 4

"SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS AND WARNINGS
AMMUNITION: The P-3AT Pistol is designed and chambered for the .380 Auto
cartridge. Do not use any other ammuntion. The P-3AT will accept +P
ammuntion, however not with continuous use."

That is odd considering there is no such thing as +P 380 ammo.
If I remember right, there once was .380 cartridge advertised as +p, but not so marked on the box or case. Anybody else remember seeing that?

Kel-Tecs have been safely shot with mil spec ammunition from Spain that is hotter than most, if not all, US commercial ammo.

I suspect the warnings are because of accelerated frame wear due to inadequate recoil spring strength, and not a problem with blowing the gun up.

I do most of my practice with cartridges that eject spent cases 15' to 30' to the right, and carry ammunition that ejects spent cases straight up and out of sight, never to be seen again. I am sure a stronger recoil spring would bring that back down under control.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Cor-Bon, until recently, made a JHP round in .380, touted it as +P, and marketed it as +P.

They no longer market it as +P.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
FWM said:
I do most of my practice with cartridges that eject spent cases 15' to 30' to the right, and carry ammunition that ejects spent cases straight up and out of sight, never to be seen again. I am sure a stronger recoil spring would bring that back down under control.
Name that dissappearing ammo - please. Have you had a chance to measure its velocity?

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
wheelguy said:
Name that dissappearing ammo - please. Have you had a chance to measure its velocity?
Remington Golden Sabre. Surprised me. Even surprised my brother, who used to shoot full auto back when he had his FFL.

I don't have the tools to measure the velocity, but the recoil, ejected case height and target damage and penetration all were much greater than the other three types of .380 I tried about nine months ago. I now carry Corbon PowerBall in one .380 and the Golden Sabre in the other. (if one doesn't do the job, the other should)

I don't remember what the other three were right now, as they didn't impress me much, but I think I still have the empty boxes at home.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Gold Sabre came in 3rd in my 7 ammo velocty tests - behind Gold Dot and Pow'r Ball. I use Gold Dot but not Pow'r ball because the Pow'r ball has been shown to separate in Gel tests. So, I simply mix Gold Dot with Hydro Shok every other one in the same mag. Hydro Shok had the best performance in Gel tests - haven't found Gel test results with Gold Dot, but am assuming that GD would do well due to its superior power and good bullet design.

·
Registered
32 Posts
FWM said:
Remington Golden Sabre. Surprised me. Even surprised my brother, who used to shoot full auto back when he had his FFL.

I don't have the tools to measure the velocity, but the recoil, ejected case height and target damage and penetration all were much greater than the other three types of .380 I tried about nine months ago. I now carry Corbon PowerBall in one .380 and the Golden Sabre in the other. (if one doesn't do the job, the other should)

I don't remember what the other three were right now, as they didn't impress me much, but I think I still have the empty boxes at home.
I have tried on my P3AT:
1) Golden Saber
2) Golden Dot
3) Hydra Shock.

I experienced the rounds with the most recoil to be the GS. HS on the other hand had an easy recoil after firing the GS.

That was the available ammo last time I shot. I will not try the +p if found anyway, since my sweet P3 is shooting trouble free with the stated ammo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.