Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I swapped my old P-40 in with Kel-tec for a P-11. I found I had a 12 round P-40 mag left over.
The P-40 mag. hand cycles 9mm ammo just fine. Just wondering if anyone has found that the P-40 mag. feeds the 9mm stuff with no problems when actually firing the P-11.

I tried to correct my goofs on the thred subject (PO40 and p-11) but can't see how.

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
When the p40 first came out, there was no p40 mag. They sold with a P11 mag. There were sometimes feed issues so they tweaked the feed lips on the mags and created The "p40" mag. They later tweaked them some more with a 2nd, re-tweaked version. The follower may also differ a little, I forget, and I ain't going look just now. Bottom line? Sure, p40 mag should work in a P11. You might want to stick to P11 mags for self defense purposes but the p40 mag is fine for range practice and MAY be just as reliable as a P11 mag. You'll find out over time.

Reactions: HatRon56

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
Send some rain this way! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have both pistols but do not mix the magazines.
I carry the P-40 when I carry the Sub2000 in .40SW caliber.
Always this way when I have to drive into Dallas,TX from my home here in Gun Barrel City,TX.
That way only one caliber, 40SW, to deal with if a shooting war breaks out.
South Dallas is extremely dangerous if you have to stop for ANY reason, like a flat tire, etc.
This is exactly why I bought the .40 cal.
Here in my home town, I carry a P-11 in 9mm with the "waistband" clip. Just wonderful concealment!
Shorts and "t" shirt is the daily attire.
Lots of old retired LEO'S here in GBC, TX.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got out to the range and ran 30 rounds thru the P-40 mag and another 30 thru the new P-11 using P-11 mags without a hitch. Had to move the rear sight a tad to the right to center my group (3-4 in. at 15 yds off sandbag). Happy camper all around.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I had a stray P40 mag leftover. It was my primary practice mag. Until I broke an ejector (second or third in a dozen years with the P11). Upon further inspection, the more open feed lips for the .40 had the 9mm cases far enough up out of the mag that I believe they were interfering with the ejector and that may have been the cause of my ejector failure. I no longer have any P40 mags.

There’s not hard science to my belief, I just stuck a loaded mag in the grip with the slide off for some reason and noticed it running into the ejector, but there was more clearance with the 9mm mags.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a stray P40 mag leftover. It was my primary practice mag. Until I broke an ejector (second or third in a dozen years with the P11). Upon further inspection, the more open feed lips for the .40 had the 9mm cases far enough up out of the mag that I believe they were interfering with the ejector and that may have been the cause of my ejector failure. I no longer have any P40 mags.

There’s not hard science to my belief, I just stuck a loaded mag in the grip with the slide off for some reason and noticed it running into the ejector, but there was more clearance with the 9mm mags.[/QUOTEi. I’ve experienced that before but I got a new p40 mag from KeltTec two months ago and it is really the best I’ve ever seen as far as out of the package into the gun I did not have to do anything to it and it would the first time for that

·
Registered
9,020 Posts
When I finially tracked down my breaking ejector problem I was running .40. The .40 round was hitting the ejector. I trimmed the ejector back till it cleared the case & no more breakage.

The .40 mag is the same as the 12 round 9mm except for the witness holes & a slightly wider feed lips. The follower is not the same as the 10 round 9mm.

My .40 conversionwould run 9mm mags just fine. In fact I tried a Ruger P85 mag (help it place with my free hand) & it ran just fine.

·
Registered
205 Posts
....In fact I tried a Ruger P85 mag (help it place with my free hand) & it ran just fine.
I've got some P85 mags - some day when I'm looking for a "project", I should try adding a S&W59/P11 mag catch slot to one, and see how it runs. Worst case scenario: even if I got sloppy and it didn't work in a P11, it would still be OK in the P85!

Reactions: HatRon56
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.