P-3AT's Exploding?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Jizzard, May 14, 2011.

1. Jizzard

Jizzard New Member

May 14, 2011
    I went to the range today to check out the P-3AT. The guy there tried to talk me out of it, he said he had one explode in his hand. Is this common? He tried to talk me into a Ruger LCP. Maybe he has other motives?

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I don't recall any "exploding P3ATs."  Probably we have seen a kaboom or two from a squib load or overpressured round.  Most such failures are ammo related.

That's comical.  The LCP is functionally an exact carbon copy of the P3AT.  It does sell for a little more thus the possibility for a bit more profit.  I suggest you do your gun shopping elsewhere.

Oh, and speaking of exploding 380s and your gunshop commando's wonderful Ruger LCP...   ;)

[​IMG]  

3. robin.kevin

robin.kevin Guest

The LCP is a copy of the P-3AT. Now go look this up, how long has P-3AT been on market compare to LCP? Once you look at that you will get the P3AT is time proven.

Now with that being said, is the guy full of crap? Who knows any gun can blow. I have personally seen Glocks that had blew apart. I have seen a bolt action .22 blow even. Theres a number of factors and to all blow outs in firearms. Usually its not the firearms fault. For example the the bolt action .22 had a lot of real dirty ammo ran through it and not clean. It seem that the chamber was so dirty the round didn't sit correctly and blew the whole bottom out of the casing. Other guns such as Glocks can have a blow out due to high pressure round + unsupported chamber. Notice it takes more than just the unsupported chamber to cause that. Also revolvers are known to become out of time and the round will not line up to the barrel and boom. Never seen a revolver do this but its well known to happen. I actually read about a new Ruger LCR becoming out of time and doing this during a handgun training class.

So my point is the firearm is usually not at fault. The cause is usually the firearm and or ammo is not inspected as it should be. Clean your firearms often, inspect them before shooting, inspect your ammo and only shoot reloaded ammo if the person reloading knew what they was doing and not pushing the limits of the round.

The P3AT is well design, well made with out some of the fine touches but I don't mind doing a fluff and buff myself to smooth it out. If you want a pistol like the P3AT but want a better fit and finish then the LCP is a good choice. However if you want a pistol that is time proven and you can get to know why you smooth it out then get the P3AT and you will be happy.

Heres a 1911 that was blown by a over loaded hand load... just shows even the fame metal 1911s aren't fail proof.
    [​IMG]

4. robin.kevin

robin.kevin Guest

That's comical.  The LCP is functionally an exact carbon copy of the P3AT.  It does sell for a little more thus the possibility for a bit more profit.  I suggest you do your gun shopping elsewhere.

Oh, and speaking of exploding 380s and your gunshop commando's wonderful Ruger LCP...   ;)

[​IMG]  
    [/quote]

That looks like it was dropped or use as a club. Dust covers usually don't become damage like that from shooting, usually you will get damager on the slide or on the grip behind the chamber. These poly pistols are tough but can that the abuse that a metal gun is.

5. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Wow, you really blew that quote.  Maybe take a second to look at what you post?   :-?

Nope, the gun was not dropped or used as a club. ::)  

It was brand new and kaboomed on the 3rd round.  As usual, bad ammo was almost surely the culprit.  Being a copy of the P3AT, the LCP is designed to fail in such as way that the gun takes the brunt of the failure and the shooter was not seriously injured.

http://65.172.200.34/ruger/ruger.htm

6. Jizzard

Jizzard New Member

May 14, 2011
    Thanks for the info guys. I will almost surely get the P3AT, for the sole reason that Keltec is the original designer.

7. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    May I suggest the hard chrome model, well worth the modest increase in price. :cool:

8. robin.kevin

robin.kevin Guest

Really? Thats unusual as I always see damage behind the chamber. But either way I say 90% of the time when a firearm blows up its due to fault ammo or poor upkeep. Too often people want to blame the weapon.

I would suggest the hard chrome as well if you go with a P3AT. My bluing is wearing off mine and I will more than likely have to refinish it soon.

9. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    I have both. The only difference is the finish of the Ruger is a little better and the slide will lock back. The p3at is the gun I carry everyday. It feels better in my hand and has proven itself as a never fail gun unless shot filthy. I'm talking 200 rounds filthy. However there is a picture of a p3at somewhere that did fail. The gun blew up in the guys hand but he was not hurt. All the pressure went down and out the bottom which is how keltec designed them to fail if they ever got a bad round or over pressure.Save the $100 difference in price and get the hard chrome finish.

10. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    I have heard of and seen the results of only one P-3AT kaboom. It was the result of using Magsafe (not Magtech) ammo in it.
    Both Kel-Tec and Magsafe warn against using Magsafe in a P-3AT.

Bobo

11. ldnn

ldnn New Member

May 8, 2011
    Search the web and you will find other makes also suffer from "explosion".

12. surfrider007

surfrider007 New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    I like the park slide.

13. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I bought the LCP right after it was introduced. Not long after that I bought my PF-9. Around a year after I got the LCP I got my P3AT. Guess which gun I no longer own? That's right the LCP. Why? My LCP liked to jam and it wasn't limpwristing. Only after I had 1000 rounds through it would it go a few mags before jamming. My P3AT has never jammed or failed in anyway and that includes during break in. In fact, my P3AT is the only semi-auto handgun I've ever owned that has never failed to go bang with every pull of the trigger. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Buy the P3AT. You'll be glad you were smart enough to save the difference between the P3AT and the LCP. That's hard earned money that is better spent on range fees, ammo, or a good holster like this one that I use everyday. http://pocketholsters.com/Kel-Tec_Pocket-Wallet_Holster/kel-tec_pocket-wallet_holster.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. MAJORSDAD

MAJORSDAD New Member

May 27, 2011
    I've seen a early P3AT's frame flex/bulge at the trigger pin area, and I was the one shooting it when it quit working. The gun didn't come apart and there wasn't any case rupture so who knows why it happened. Keltec replaced the gun though.