Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've had a second-gen P-3AT for about six months now. I discovered today, much to my chagrin, that for some period of time I've effectively been carrying a brick. I haven't fired it in a couple months; when I went to the range today I discovered that when I pull the trigger, it pulls the hammer back, but the trigger is not able to pull the hammer far enough back to trip. Meaning -- I pull the trigger, hammer comes back. I pull the trigger ALL THE WAY, hammer is still back, has not tripped. It's as if the connecting spring between them does not have enough tension to pull the hammer far enough back.

I stripped the P-3AT and took a look; I don't see anything obviously wrong, but then again I am not an expert. Anything I should specifically look at, or should I send it in for service?

Thoughts, comments appreciated.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
why send it in for service when a hammer spring assembly (YES, GET IT ALL PRE-ASSEMBLED) will probably solve it.

Make sure the triger pin is tight, but i had the same thing happen to me about CHristmas time.

Got a new one installed, perfect ever since.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Danuary said:
You lucky son of a gun!

This is an excellent excuse to buy a second P-3AT, while giving yourself time to tinker with the first P-3AT.

Wilson – who’s wife figured that one out after the fourth or fifth P-3AT ::)

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Danuary said:
The pin is in place so looks like the hammer spring. I'll check it out.
The Pin backs out to cause this. It will still be there, but will stick out more than the usual 1/8" of exposed pin. Try tapping it in to see if it will go in further. then see if it will fire.

Packer.

·
Banned
4,317 Posts
This is puzzling, to me at least. I assume the gun was working properly the last time you shot it at the range, so after several months in your pocket it no longer works, right? When you field stripped it was there a lot of pocket lint or other debris inside? I have also seen P-3ATs where the back side of the trigger had to be filed down slightly to allow the trigger to go far enough back to release the hammer. This last issue was presumably caused by manufacturing tolerances stacking up the wrong way.

Danuary said:
Hi all,

I've had a second-gen P-3AT for about six months now. I discovered today, much to my chagrin, that for some period of time I've effectively been carrying a brick. I haven't fired it in a couple months; when I went to the range today I discovered that when I pull the trigger, it pulls the hammer back, but the trigger is not able to pull the hammer far enough back to trip. Meaning -- I pull the trigger, hammer comes back. I pull the trigger ALL THE WAY, hammer is still back, has not tripped. It's as if the connecting spring between them does not have enough tension to pull the hammer far enough back.

I stripped the P-3AT and took a look; I don't see anything obviously wrong, but then again I am not an expert. Anything I should specifically look at, or should I send it in for service?

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Usually, if the trigger pin is backing out, It doesn't happen all at once. You may have noticed that you had to squeeze a little harder to make the gun fire.

If the hammer spring breaks it's top loop however, it could happen on the very last shot at the range. It's a good idea to function check with snap caps after cleaning and reassembly.

Packer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a used P-3AT at a gunshow this weekend and stopped by the range on the way home to make sure it would go bang. After about round 20 I had the same problem that Danuary experienced- Full range trigger pull did not result in fall of the hammer.

Took a look at the trigger pin and wasn't sure how far in it should be, as this is my first Kel-TEC- Put a little blue Loc-Tite on it and was able to easily drive it in at least a 1/8th an inch. Now works just fine with snap-caps, I'm sure it will fire next trip to the range. Trigger pull is certainly improved!!!

Thanks for all the great info and advice on this site- I would have mailed it back to Cocoa, would have never thought that pin backing out would cause that problem

Hawkdriver

·
Registered
589 Posts
Had the spring break recently after 1 shot at the range, it was at the bottom loop. Up to this point the gun was perfect. Got a replacement from KT and all is well. However, have heard of quite a few of these breaking recently. For me, it is a cause for concern, although P3-AT is in my pocket as we speak.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
GMax said:
Had the spring break recently after 1 shot at the range, it was at the bottom loop. Up to this point the gun was perfect. Got a replacement from KT and all is well. However, have heard of quite a few of these breaking recently. For me, it is a cause for concern, although P3-AT is in my pocket as we speak.
I watch KTOG pretty closely but not other boards. I think yours is only the second spring break that I have heard of here. Where are you hearing about all these "quite a few?"

-Scott

G

·
adamsesq said:
[quote author=GMax link=1184518981/0#12 date=1185461835]Had the spring break recently after 1 shot at the range, it was at the bottom loop. Up to this point the gun was perfect. Got a replacement from KT and all is well. However, have heard of quite a few of these breaking recently. For me, it is a cause for concern, although P3-AT is in my pocket as we speak.
I watch KTOG pretty closely but not other boards.  I think yours is only the second spring break that I have heard of here.  Where are you hearing about all these "quite a few?"

-Scott[/quote]
I've had two break on me. one on the 32 and one on the 380, both at the top of the loop...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.