p-3AT with custom sights and finish!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by bladeandbarrel, Sep 18, 2008.

1. bladeandbarrel

bladeandbarrel New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    I am a long time lurker and would like to introduce my newly customized p3AT for you guys to see.
    I am a big fan of the Kel-Tec P-3AT as I know you all are.  Recently Kel-Tec has redesigned the internal hammer block to eliminate the potential for short-stroking the little beast with a resulting failure to fire.  I called Kel-Tec to order the upgraded block and they cheerfully dropped 3 in the mail for mine and my friend’s guns. My local gunsmith dropped the part in all of 5 minutes and voila, no more “false reset” –a tremendous improvement and a major advantage over the Ruger LCP which has the same false reset issues as the P-series Kel-Tecs.  My gunsmith also designed a set of custom sights at my request because I have found that the guns shoot far more accurately than the existing vestigial sights allow. I have enclosed a few pictures of the modified gun with new sights and a fresh coat of polymer gunkote finish.  The gunsmith is Philip Woodell in Columbia SC.  He charges a measly $105 for the handmade sights and they are worth every penny.  Minute of eye-socket at 7 yards is now a breeze with my peashooter, it inspires confidence with the little guns if you can actually hit stuff with them! Attached are a few pics.  I thought the list members would be interested in this modification.

Thanks,

Anthony

Philip can be reached at http://www.innovativearms.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bladeandbarrel

Sep 18, 2008
    There is a large cap screw holding the rear sight in addition to the dovetail in case anyone wants to know..its pretty solid..not going anywhere..

3. tsquare

tsquare New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Is that front sight a "night sight"?

4. BamaShooter

BamaShooter New Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Very nice! If I had a local gunsmith here, I might have him add that.

5. bladeandbarrel

Sep 18, 2008
    yes it is a night sight. That costs a bit more. ;)

6. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    The work looks outstanding!
    I would like to see a "shooter's eye" view through the rear sight if that is possible.
    Do you think Philip would consider a reduced price if we were to get together and place a group order?
    Maybe 5 or 10 slides or whatever. I know vendors on other boards have offered "group buys" to "members only" if a certain minimum volume was reached and for a "limited time" period only.

7. bladeandbarrel

Sep 18, 2008
    Right now he makes those sights one at a time :eek: on a manual mill. he has told me that with enough interest he would have a local machine shop produce some sights in quantity but he would probably need more than 10 to do that. probably more like 20. you can ask him.

8. Mabbus4

Mabbus4 New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    For some freaking reason i can never get the search tool here on ktog to work even when i find the article i want to read on google. (Am i the only one who has this stupid problem.... Anyway, I was searching for some aftermarket sites for the p3at and those look very nice. Do you guys know if any other place has some aftermarket sites that can screw into the gun like these? I just dont have 100 dollars to spend on the sights despite i would love to have them...

I have seen these....http://tooltechgunsight.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=57 They look a little large. seems like if i was to put those on the gun i should have just gotten a pf-9.

Also seen this one.... http://www.psenhancements.com/ccmreview.htm

9. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005

10. unloved

unloved New Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Did your smith have to build up the front of the slide to make room for the dovetail? It doesn't look like he did. I've always thought that area was too thin to cut.