P-3AT take down pin spring

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Ridge_Rider, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Ridge_Rider

Ridge_Rider New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    While taking my pistol down for cleaning I seem to have moved the spring. The frame is poked out from the slide. I tried moving the spring around to see if I could get it to seat, but no luck. I put the take down pin back in and the spring seems to be holding it in place, even made a click, but the plastic frame is bowed out and will possibly crack, or at least let trash in. I had that happen with my P32, but it quickly corrected itself. Nothing I do seems to make the P-3AT reset. Help, please. Wade

2. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Your gonna need to remove the grip from the frame, good news is there is help  ;)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn0iM06KhHw&feature=related[/ame]

Once off you should be able to see where it goes. If it's sprung out of shape call for parts but you may have to wait till 1/4/10 as KT is in seasonal shut down now...

That vid is from Beach a member here

This problem is easy to prevent ( not trying to tell you Ridge_Rider, just a general FYI for others so they don't end up with what you got  ;) )
    Place a finger on each side of assm. pin and press down on grip before prying assm pin out. It's easy to forget but saves a lot of hassel by remembering to do...

3. Ridge_Rider

Ridge_Rider New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Thanks so much for the link. He makes it look easy, but I have never found working with small springs, slides, pins, etc., easy. I'll try it and see. Wade

4. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    It's almost always possible to put the spring back in place without removing the frame from the grip.

Using a thin dental pick like they use to clean your teeth, reach down inside and push it back in place in the spring pocket.

Your dentest should be able to hook you up with an old one.

PS: In addition to holding the grip down while prying out the pin, wiggle it out to give the spring a chance to work itself up out of the groove.

Prying it out in one fell swoop puts a lot of side pressure on the spring & grip that can be avoided if you "wiggle" it until it releases with light prying action.

rc

5. Ridge_Rider

Ridge_Rider New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Had to make an L shaped tool, but no big problems. Got it back together, but I didn't take it completely apart, just moved the front part up and put the spring in where it was supposed to be. Then replaced the two pins. I'll test fire it tomorrow. Thanks again for your help. Wade