P-3AT still jamming

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by fas111, Nov 12, 2010.

1. fas111

fas111 New Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Purchased new end of August this year. I experienced many, many failure to extract issues using 3 brands of FMJ RN 95gr. Blazer (brass), Magtec and Remington. I called KT and they sent me a new extractor but it did not help. Called again and they had UPS pick it up on Oct. 5. Got it back yesterday and the work order said they polished the feed ramp, replaced the extractor and recoil spring and guide. Off to the range this AM and fired 12 rounds (most ever without a jam) and the 13th failed to extract. A new round stripped of the mag and jammed the gun. I was able to drop the mag and the fresh round dropped through the well (just like all the other times) But this time I could not pull the slide back. I took it home pulled the pin and removed the slide but was not able to remove the barrel. Called KT and spoke to Mike a very nice gentlemen who showed real concern that it had not been properly repaired. He asked me to try to reassemble it and he would email me a UPS prepaid return label. Well I could not assemble the slide to the frame-it would not go back far enough to insert the pin. After studying the frame a bit I noticed the hammer was down, I pushed it back and was able to reassemble and eject the fired case. I am now waiting for my email so I can send it back again. Normally I have very little patience for this kind of thing but I am so impressed by the customer service I am receiving from KT. Every one I have talked to at KT is very professional and polite. From what I have read in this wonderful forum KTs are great guns but every once in a while a bad one gets through. I am confident they will get this little thing running correctly. I have been carrying conceled since 1970, this is my first plastic gun and I just love the concept. Thanks for listining

2. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Sounds like they've got you covered. Lemons do slip through in every type of manufacturing. They may scrap your gun and send you a new one with your old serial number.

You didn't mention how you were lubing your P3AT. I always use a quality gun grease on the rails of all my semi-autos. I think this is crucial on KT pistols. The operate on t he edge of what physics allows. The grease will never run off meaning 6 months later, you're gun is still properly lubed. Also, grease is slicker than oil giving better performance.

Last of all, you state the P3AT is your first "plastic gun." By extension it's most likely also the lightest gun you've ever owned. These light guns require a shift in shooting technique. A locked elbow and wrist just won't work. A locked wrist but unlocked (slightly bent) elbow is what the gun needs to in order to function reliably. The gun literally uses the mass of the shooter's arm meaning the recoil is absorbed at the elbow instead of the wrist. I have adopted this shooting style for all my handguns---revolvers and semi-autos. Since doing so, I am a more accurate with all of my handguns.

3. fas111

fas111 New Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Thanks for the tips Bill, I will try the grip you suggest BTW the gun was well lubed. For years I have carried a old Colt Cobra 2", its a lightweight but far more bulky than the KT, heavier also. But every time you pull the trigger it goes bang!

4. kmunch

kmunch New Member

May 13, 2008
    I have talked to mike at keltec and he is very helpful I should hav my slide and barrel back from them in todays mail

5. bonjorno2

bonjorno2 New Member

May 31, 2010
    i've had plenty of issues with mine jamming up within the first 300 rounds... tends to get hung up on the feed ramp, but nothing a good smack on the magazine won't fix. Don't feel too bad though i've owned 2 kahr p380's and had similar issues and ended up selling both of them to go back to kel tec. I do wish however they had some sort of front sight!

6. fas111

fas111 New Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Sounds like your pistol would eject the spent round and then jam when the fresh one was stripped from the mag. What mine was doing was failing to extract the spent round and then stripping a fresh one and jamming it up against the stuck one in the chamber. I sent it back Monday and received a email from KT yesterday advising it was received and will take 4 to 6 weeks to repair. Here's hoping. If its not fixed this time I will have an ethical decision to make. Get rid of it and keep my mouth shut about its issues or just keep it in the safe and eat the loss. That said I will just keep it in the safe.

7. bonjorno2

bonjorno2 New Member

May 31, 2010
    dang that sucks... i can honestly say the only gun i've ever had a issue similar to to that was my naa 32 and it was always the last round almost every time!

8. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Naw, don't put her in the safe. You have two options. 1) Find a KTOGer who lives near you and get together with him or her. Let them shoot the gun to see if it doesn't run for them you know it's. The gun and vice versa. 2) You can sell it here in the Trading Post. KTOGers don't shy away from guns that have some troubles. Someone here will buy it for the right price. I would make you an offer but I'm broke.

Anyway, i hope you figure it out. My P3AT is the only semi-auto I've ever owned that has never jammed not even during break in. My record is 400 rounds in one range session without any cleaning or wiping off burnt powder. Mine didn't even jam then. That makes me think yours has something wrong---most likely something small that once you solve it will take care of it. Hang in there.

9. kmunch

kmunch New Member

May 13, 2008
    Ket tec stuck with me until i have a gun that works perfect

10. sparx

sparx New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    WOW!

I have had the exact same problem right out of the box with my keltec 380 as you and those bone heads at keltec have had it for 7 weeks shipped to them on my dime and nothing has been done to it.  I have also spoke with Mike, but nothing changes in the status of my warranty claim.

What a company!  ::)  :(

Don't even ask if I will buy another Keltec product.  I do own a p9 that works fine, after I tuned it up.
    Buyer beware!
    sparx

Link: http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1284913560/30

11. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    There is nothing to be aware of.  All manufacturers occasionally produce products that require service.  That's why, unlike many companies, Kel-tec offers a lifetime warranty.  While 7 weeks may seem unreasonable, it is not atypical in this industry and your gun will likely be back soon.  Many makers take longer.  My guess is you have little to no experiecne returning guns for service.  Some take several months.

FYI:

Kel-tec Owner's Group = www.ktog.org

Kel-tec Complaint Dept =  http://www.keltecweapons.com/contact/

There is a difference.   ::)

12. bonjorno2

bonjorno2 New Member

May 31, 2010
    ^^^^ LOL that's a good one!

13. arizona-hermit

arizona-hermit New Member

Nov 27, 2010
    I have fired many, many rounds through my lil AT and the only time is ever jams is when I limp wrist it.  The only time I limp wrist it is when I am explaining what that means to new owners and how it can effect your weapon.

14. fas111

fas111 New Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Well I got my P-3AT back from the mother ship yesterday and took it to the range today. Still no go. Fired 30 rounds and got 18 FTEs. The best I was able to manage was 4 shots from the first mag. Both of the work orders showed the same things done ie: polished feed ramp, replaced internal parts and test fired. So I called KT when I got home and explained the situation and they are going to have the tech that worked on the gun call be to discuss. Don't know what we are going to discuss but I am game to talk to him. I am really disappointed with this gun. BTW I asked how many rounds they fire when they test fire them and was told not a full mag. Hopefully this will be resolved this time around, if not I am going to ask for a refund of my purchase price.

15. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

I'd love to know what all their "test firing" consists of. If their normal routine is to fire less than a full mag. I would be surprised. My opinion is if the gun is returned for FTE, FT feed or fire, then they should run several mags thru it.

16. fas111

fas111 New Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Hey Possum: Firing several mags would be logical. The tech never called yesterday so I will call them again on Monday. Wish they had a 800 number. I plan on respectfully asking them to either replace the pistol with a new one which has been tested by them not me or taking the gun back and refunding the purchase price. I have wasted too much time and money (range fees and ammo) to continue with this gun. I would not consider selling or trading it in, the sole purpose of this gun to protection and it has to be 100% reliable.

17. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    It is on their About Us  page towards the bottom.

18. fas111

fas111 New Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Great - thanks for the number. By the time this is resolved I'll know it by heart!!

19. bunky

bunky New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    the very very best thing about owning a keltec product is this board .each and every time someone asks for help everyone seems to care about their issue,try that over on the other  boards and you get NO response unless its a dig at the firearm you own.this board feels like family to me.ok everyone
    its time for a group hug..............ok a high five then...............nuf said

20. Flight_Chief

Flight_Chief New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Fas111:
    Sorry about your problem with this pistol, it is so frustrating when this happens. Some good advice here in this thread. You replied that it was well lubed but Bill stated gun grease meaning a lubricating grease such as lubriplate, Wilson's Ultra, or perhaps Slide Glide. Grease is much slicker than oil and will make the pistol function better when applied lightly to all the friction points.

If factory is test firing and it is working, then what other variables could be out there. Are you doing anything different from the factory when they test fire it? Too bad they don't test fire with a box of ammo to make sure that it is OK, however no factory will do that to my knowledge. What about a different brand of ammo? I wonder what ammo they use. My little 3AT likes round nose (FMJ) Federal, S & B, Speer Blazer brass cased ammo. I have also had perfect results with Speer Gold Dot.

I am having jamming problem with a Diamondback 380. People frequently say I must be "limp-wristing" which is very popular diagnosis these days. The first DB380 trigger bar broke after 150-180 rounds with frequent jams. I got a new DB380 from the factory and it seems to jam every time. By contrast, my new Kel Tec 3AT380 has not jammed a single time in 200 rounds. The point I am trying to make is that the limp wrist explanation may not be valid.

I hope the Kel Tec person is able to find an answer for you.

At this point you have little to lose by continuing to work the issue. I don't really think that there is a better or more reliable 380 micro out there. Some are better finished but not better in terms of function. In Feb of this year, the NRA did an extensive test of 380 micro pistols and most did not fair well. The Rohrbaugh R380, for $1200, was the only micro pistol that did not jam during testing. l If the Kel Tec won't work for you, you could trade it at your dealer for a somewhat larger Bersa Thunder which are well known for reliable function or a nice Smith & Wesson 642 for the ultimate reliable pocket gun. Good luck!