P-3AT Range Trip

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by MirageES, Feb 24, 2009.

1. MirageES

MirageES New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Note: This is a range report from a novice's point of view. I'm probably not saying anything you guys don't already know.

I took a trip to the range today to finish breaking in my P-3AT. I must say that overall I like the gun for its intended purpose. I have fired a total of 196 rounds through the gun, out of 200 attempted. I had 4 fail to feed and one of them had a smiley (I hope this is the correct term.) The ammunition I have fired was purchased from the range because you cannot bring your own. The two types were Federal "American Eagle" FMJ and Blazer FMJ. All the problems came with the "American Eagle" and I had no issues with the Blazer. I haven't had a chance to run any HP through the gun yet because the range can't get any in. When I get the opportunity, which HP should I ask for (assuming the range has any verity)? I had a few rounds fail to feed initially because of "limp wristing" (one word of two?) but that problem stopped after I started holding the gun correctly. Again, I like the gun for what it is, but I don't think I'll be shooting it on a regular basis.

--David

2. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    David, congratulations on your P-3AT. A few hiccups during the break in period is not unusual. Polishing the feed ramp, chamber and any rough spots on the slide rails might help. I believe most here do not shoot more than 50 rounds without cleaning. Be sure to keep it well lubricated, I personally like Militec-1 oil. As far as carry ammo goes both Remington Golden Sabres and Speer Gold Dot ran perfectly in my gun.

3. MirageES

MirageES New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    bro61, have you tried the Winchester 85GR. "SILVERTIP" HP? If so, how did it run for you?

--David

4. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    The only hollow points I have shot through my P-3AT are the ones I mentioned earlier. I would love to try out some Hornady Critical Defense Ammo but cannot find any locally.

5. gapman

gapman New Member

Feb 27, 2009
    i just ran 20 speer gold dots down the pipe. they ran well. i just felt bad about using them up right now
    john