Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new P-3AT. Have been slowly working on the ramp modification to stop the smiley faces. About how long does this take to get it just right? I only work on it for about 3 to 5 minuites at a time and polish, then I go to the range when I get time and check out my progress. Thanks for any input.  REGRIP. :-?

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
REGRIP
Here is all there is to know about Smilies.
http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/smiley.htm

There is no need to go to the range and try it time after time.
Bottom line is, if it sticks into the magazine well in the full rearward position of the barrel, or hangs over the top of the frame into the magazine space, it is going to make curved, true Smilies & beat your magazines to death eventually.

There is also always going to be smilies from the bullet contact with the sharp square edge of the frame. That makes a straight across, straight line smiley. There is nothing you can do to completely stop that.

You will also always get "squeezed in" HP openings on certain shapes of HP rounds. That comes from recoil jamming them into the front curved surface of the magazine. There is nothing you can do about that either except try another JHP bullet shape.

Bottom line: If you stop the feed ramp from coming back into the magazine well space, you stop it from beating the back out of the magazines.
That may be the best you can do.

rcmodel

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
regrip said:
Have been slowly working on the ramp modification to stop the smiley faces.
I have more P-3ATs than fingers and some toes. Each and everyone makes smilies to a greater or lesser extent and each and everyone will fire 50 perfect rounds before cleaning. If I see one of my mag followers getting a bit chewed up I call 1-800-515-9983 and they send me a free replacement.

Wilson – who’s happy with his P-3ATs that fire happy ammunition :)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Fjold said:
That web page was posted before Kel-Tec redesigned the feed ramp for second-generation pistols. However I have a bunch of FG P-3ATs that make some rather deep smilies but still work great. My FGs do chew-up an occasional magazine follower whereas my SG P-3ATs don’t seem to be as hard on the ammo or magazines with their crescent shaped feed ramps.

Wilson – who’s recitation of P-3AT history may be telling his age :-[

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.