Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have the inside scoop? I finally saved up enough to get the P3AT that I have been looking at and admiring for sometime now and every local dealer in my area is out of them. The two I frequent the most called Kel-Tec for me to see when they might expect to ship more and both dealers were given a vague answer like, "as soon as we can". I understand that Kel-Tec only produces one model at a time, but does anyone know when they will start production on the P3AT again? It has been over 3 weeks and no one in Western Kentucky has been able to get their hands on a shipment. The only place here that has them in stock is a national chain store and they are about $30 higher, plus I prefer to buy from locally owned businesses.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I don't know about KY, but they've dried up around Denver. I know of only a couple shops that have any in at all, and then the price is around $275. My advice is get one now at the chain store if they're in stock. You're going to want another one anyway, so put down money at your local guy for P3 #2. This way you have the gun and support local business at the same time. Two of the shops I frequent have said that the demand for KT's is much higher than their ability to keep them in stock or even know when they're getting more in.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
The people your dealer needs to call is some of the national wholesale firearms distributors they get guns from.

Kel-Tec doesn't sell direct to dealers, and they have no idea whether the distributors still have any in stock from the last shipment, or not.

rcmodel

·
Registered
111 Posts
local dealer has one for 325.00 i advised him his price was way to high. they are usualy 268.00 around here. his reply was that it was brand new gun. i told no thanks. we have a ffl dealer who will charge you 20.00 flat fee plus transfer from a wholsaler no matter what price you can get it for. i want to support the local guy but dont want to be gouged.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Kel-tec produces about 1000 P3ATs per week.
The demand may be higher than that as many have them on constant backorder. Shops with higher sales often get more guns from the distributors. Small shops may be on the back burner. Look around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was told that Kel-Tec doesn't continually produce any model of firearm. They produce many of a certain model and then refit the factory to make another model and make tons of them, and then make lots of the next model. This makes sense to me when I take into account all the stories I have heard from people who said they waited months for Kel-Tec firearms when one or two other models were readily available. May be this is or isn't the case.

My favorite dealer (one of the largest in my end of the state and one of the only Class III dealers around) www.eliteguns.com Over the past week they have called several different distributors and Kel-Tec , they all say they will get some as soon as they can. Elite Firearms is a high volume dealer and a large part of their business is to LEOs. The P-3AT is a local (and probably national) favorite B.U.G. for LEOs. I think if any store in my state got them, this one would be one of the first. They have contract with about every Law Enforcement organization in NW Tennessee and most of W Kentucky.

Elite has the cheapest price on a Blued around here, it is $249.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
I think staggered production is probably the norm for Kel-tec guns with the possible exception of the P3AT. I would not be surprised to learn that they make them on most days if not daily. :-/

·
Registered
68 Posts
My P-3AT is serial J9Nxx and according to an email reply from K-T, was manufactured on March 22, 2007. Incidentally, it appears to have a VERY thin and tapered guide rod hole in the slide. The thickness of the material around the hole appears to be about twice the inner spring wire diameter. It doesn't show any severe peening yet (just a slight lip around the opening) after 150-ish rounds fired, but I don't have much hope for that very thin material standing up over time. :-[

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
wolfsburg_de said:
...a VERY thin and tapered guide rod hole in the slide. The thickness of the material around the hole appears to be about twice the inner spring wire diameter....I don't have much hope for that very thin material standing up over time.  :-[
Two times inner spring wire diamater sounds pretty good. I think two and a half would be a very good amount of metal. :-/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I went to my second choice of locally owned firearms dealers today and they had 2 KT P-3ATs in stock. I jumped on it. as of about 1:30pm Central time today I became the proud owner of a New P-3AT, sn JA6XX. Thank you guys for your help. This forum rocks!

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Melber said:
Well, I went to my second choice of locally owned firearms dealers today and they had 2 KT P-3ATs in stock. I jumped on it. as of about 1:30pm Central time today I became the proud owner of a New P-3AT, sn JA6XX. Thank you guys for your help. This forum rocks!
Congrats - but I am confused?  Are the serial numbers consecutive and how come you said the proud owner of "a" weapon - I thought you said they had two???

And oh ya:

-Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.