P-3AT Non-lock slide.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Old_Bill, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Old_Bill

Old_Bill New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Can someone point me in the right direction to the P-3AT Forum discussion as to why Kel Tec's P-3AT doesn't have a slide lock back (after last round is fired) yet, the Kel Tec P-32 does have this feature?

I have now learned how to live without the slide lock back on my P-3AT by firing only 6-rounds, and then inserting a new loaded clip. But, i still don't like it! >:(

In my humble opinion, having a slide locked back after the last round is fired is a safety issue because I can insert a new loaded clip into the grip, release the slide lock...loading a new round into the chamber, much faster than if I have to rack the slide back after inserting a new clip!

But, it's true..I am old and slow! :cool:

I have now shot 124 rounds through the little gun. The last 101 rounds were fired without any problems with feeding or extracting!  About an hour ago I fired 14-rounds just to reassure myself that I could still hit the side of a barn...or was that a red cow I shot? Oh well, my new glasses will arrive this coming Friday! ::)

Dang, I sure like my little Kel Tec .380!!  

2. cm

cm New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Trenton, MI.
    Hi OOOLLLLDDDD Bill.
    I made a wooden magizine to hold the slide back.
    For cleaning perpose.
    Charlie.

3. Old_Bill

Old_Bill New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Hi OOOLLLLDDDD Bill.
    I made a wooden magizine to hold the slide back.
    For cleaning perpose.
    Charlie.
    [/quote]

That sounds interesting! I'd like to see a photo if one is available....or more details, like how far the magizine extends into the chamber, etc?

Old Bill

4. :-?

I don't follow that at all. WHy not just take the slide off to clean?

5. cm

cm New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Trenton, MI.

:-?

I don't follow that at all.  WHy not just take the slide off to clean?

[/quote]

I shot about 2 mags when I go to the range.
    I just run a bore snake though it & oil the bore.
    I brake it down about every box.
    Charlie.

6. buzzsaw

buzzsaw Grand Poobah Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Georgia
    While the P-32 has a slide lock, it has no external release. You still have to rack the slide a short distance after inserting a new magazine, but at least it lets you know you're out. I believe sombody figured out a way to install a P-32 slide lock on a P-3AT, you might do a search.

buzzsaw

7. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    A slide lock would be a very nice feature but it isn't much of an issue for me. My Walther has it and I did like it and missed when I first got the P-3AT but I don't even think about it after getting used to being without.

Billy

8. Old_Bill

Old_Bill New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Thanks buzzsaw. As you suggested, I did a search and found a ton of information on how to install a slide lock on a P-3AT!

Very interesting reading. Almost makes me want to start filing away on my P-3AT! ;D

However, I do know my limitations. So I will just have to wait until Kel Tec believes that having a slide lock on the P-3AT's would increase their sales.

Thanks again,

Old Bill

9. mydixiwrecked00

mydixiwrecked00 New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    got a link to that info for the rest of us ;Di searched from the tail end forward and havent come across it yet. and now have to leave for work.

10. Old_Bill

Old_Bill New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Here is the link to the instructions for modifying a P-3AT for a slide stop. In this link is another link where the subject is discussed in great detail.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1170309756/0

Two Pistol Packer did a great job writing and taking photos to illustrate how he modified a P-3AT. My hat is off to him! :)

[​IMG]

No doubt the Old Timers on this Forum are very tired of reading  comments, about the lack of a slide lock on the P-3AT, from a Newby like myself! The subject has been discussed to death. :'(

My lips are forever sealed...at least as it pertains to this subject!  :-X

Old Bill

11. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Old Bill,

You're right, this has been a very commonly discussed subject. Thanks for looking back and retrieving some good stuff on it.

Maybe this thread should be added to the "FAQs and VIP Posts (Very Important Posts)" sticky http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1204773333 .

Bobo

12. fwm

fwm New Member

Jun 14, 2006
    NW MO

:-?

I don't follow that at all. WHy not just take the slide off to clean?

[/quote]

Because it is hard to hold back the slide with one hand, hold down the grip area around the takedown with the other hand and remove the pin with the other.

I too made a wooden mag. Hold the slide back with one hand, insert the wooden mag, from the top of the slide, with the other hand. That leaves both hands free to pull the takedown pin.