P-3at melt and duracoat project

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by 870motha_shucker, Sep 16, 2008.

1. 870motha_shucker

870motha_shucker New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    I did my PF-9 a while back due to rust issues I was having with the stock blued slide and the ever constant florida heat. Since then I decided the P-3at would be done down the line.

The start was a stock P-3at, black frame, blued slide. I started to get slight rusting on the slide after a couple of days without a treatment of CLP or Eezzox. The oil routine began to get tiresome so it was time to do a refinish.

The most dramatic change was the removal of the front sight. I've never been fond of the small sights, even for a pocket gun, and after seeing a post on here by mtheo51 I decided that the addtion of a Hiviz fiber optic was in order. But I also wanted to go one step father and remove the front sight entirely to replace with the Hiviz. The entire slide was given a light melt job to remove all straight lines and corners.

After the melt process was complete the slide was then prepped and coated in Duracoat Sniper Green and the barrel was also stripped and then cold blued.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lastly the Hivis sight was contoured and cold blued where bare steel was showing, then aligned and stuck on using "The Right Stuff" gasket maker.

[​IMG]

The rear sight was given an orange strip with Testors blaze orange and then the rear sight recess filled in with epoxy to protect the rear sight paint and give a truely snag free gun.

And of course a couple family pictures with it's big brother:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So now it's a matter of giving the Duracoat another week to fully cure and it will be off to the range for function testing.

2. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Dude! That looks great!

3. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Once again, that look's great....

What kind of high viz sight did you use?

CK

4. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Look out! MS has skills - beautiful man, just beautiful :cool:

5. VERY NICELY EXECUTED and great post.

6. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    I've got an incredibly stupid/ignorant question... Is the inside of the slide Duracoated? Nobody shows pics of the slide off the receiver. Would that affect tolerances too much?

7. Ape

Ape New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Colorado
    I was going to ask the same thing artimus_prime. Along with wanting to see pics of the inside of the slide I was wanting to see full pics of the blued barrel. It's a beautiful job and inquiring minds want to know! ;-)

8. 870motha_shucker

Jan 11, 2008
    Yes, I also do the inside of the slide.

I put on two coats of Duracoat over the entire thing short of masking off the firing pin hole, extractor screw hole and the rear of the firing pin channel. I did the same on my Pf-9 and then went and put 100 rounds through it to see if there were any areas where the tolerances were going to cause a problem, none were evident though after test firing. I get some marks on the finish around the slide rails and also under the firing pin channel but everything else looks untouched. I think that with a gun that has tighter tolerances (match 1911) there would be issues with the thickness of the duracoat, but with the rather loose tolerances in these guns there is no issue about adding a few thousandths of an inch to the surface. The gun will probably get to the range next weekend for function testing.

The blued barrel is really nothing special. I use Birchwood Casey Super Blue. Simple prep the barrel by sand blasting for a matte finish and then apply the bluing as directed. Adding more coats gives a darker blue. After finishing I apply a coat of Eezzox and allow to soak in for a bit then wipe off the excess. My Pf-9 barrel has yet to show any rusting at all.

I'll get some better pictures in natural light later this week and some shots of the inside of the slide and barrel close ups.

9. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Great job on the guns and great pic's too...

John

10. unloved

unloved New Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Very nice! Question for you, is duracoat thick enough to hide surface imperfections? My KTs have tiny pits on the slides. Do I need to polish them out before applying Duracoat?

11. 870motha_shucker

Jan 11, 2008
    Alot depends on the depth of the pitting. Mine started to get some light pitting from the rust issue.

When I do a melt job I start with a dremel and sanding drum, once I get my roughed shape I go to a silicone polishing bit. Usually by this stage I put it into the bead blaster with glass beads to see how the finish looks. I then wet sand with 220 grit Alox paper to smooth followed by more silicone bit and blasting until I get a smooth finish. I do one final wet sanding with 320 grit and polish with a heavy felt and rouge bit on the dremel tool.

I like a slightly roughed up surface so once polished shiny I again put back into the bead blaster for final texture, then coat.

Usually any pitting of any sort is removed by this process. Alot of elbow grease but worth it in the end. However, if you have deeper pitting problems you can get DuraFil that is applied in the same manner as duracoat but is sanded after application.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=618204

I've never had to use this product but I would suspect that from the quality of the Duracoat finishes that i've used that it is held to a high standard and gives excellent results.

12. morganfd9

morganfd9 Guest

Looks great, job well done!!!!!

13. unloved

unloved New Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Thank you so much for the detailed answer to my question. Much appreciated.