P-3AT Mag Catch

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by drmarc, Jun 11, 2008.

1. drmarc

drmarc New Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Hello Folks,

I have a quick question I hope somebody can help me with.

I bought a 3AT used and it has a broken magazine catch. It's still working but it doesn't stick out quite as far on the left side as it's supposed to.

How hard is it to replace this part?

www.kel-tec-cnc.org

part number 205

Thanks in advance for your help.

Doc

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Some people file down the catch so it doesn't stick out :-/

4. Welcome to KTOG Doc.

When you say broken... but it works..... whatexactly is broken?

Is there a rough edge to the catch, is the spring slot busted?

It may be as noted above that the previous owner has filed/sanded it down. SOme prefer it that way to avoid unintended mag drops.

If you [highlight]CALL [/highlight]Kel-Tec [highlight]SERVICE[/highlight]... they will probably send you a FREE replacement.

Dang net nanny at work won't let me get into the KT site to get the phone number... but you can find it at the link below.

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/

CALL... no e-mail.........ask for SERVICE.......not parts. Tell SERVICE that the mag catch is broke and ask them to send you a new catch AND spring.

The catch is really not that hard to replace.

5. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    If it's still working & is not sticking out on the left side I'd bet money the previous owner modified it.

IMO that saved you some time doing it yourself after you found that it was being pushed accidentally.

Good score!

I've got mine almost flush with the grip. I actually have to use the edge of my thumb to depress it below the surface a tad to get the mag to release. Before modification it was ejecting at random.

6. jtf650

jtf650 New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    After pocket carrying my P3AT for more than 2 years in a DeSantis Nemesis holster with nary a mag drop, about a month ago I started to get mag drops, almost every day. It's not like I changed to snugger pants that would put more pressure on the mag catch, and I've always been careful to depress the catch when inserting the mag so I don't think it's wear on the catch itself. Is it possible that the spring has just lost some of its zip over time? I will get a new spring and catch from KelTec, but I just wondered if this is common.