P-3AT in California

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by 1keltec, Mar 13, 2009.

1. 1keltec

1keltec New Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I need help getting a P-3AT here in crazy Cali.  Our laws are so stupid, that I was told twice today, that I can't get a new one here.  They said I have to find one already existing in California, and have it transferred to a local FFL dealer for pick-up.  Apparently, it can't be brought into this pansy state.  So I am looking for either a new or used P-3AT within Cali.  Could you please let me know if anyone either has one that you're looking to sell, or know of someone who does?  I'd greatly appreciate it!  Any color is fine with me, though I really dig the light green with chrome slide.  But that doesn't matter as far as buying it.  

I'm looking for this particular pistol because I'm a lady who has smaller hands, and our S&W 357 and 9mm's are more difficult for me to hold correctly.  I manage, but could do much better with a smaller gun.  But our SU-16CA is just fine!  Love that one!  Thanks again, all!

2. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    The P-3AT was never offered for sale to the general public in CA. To get one, you have to buy one "Face-to-Face" (read: Face-to-Dealer-to-Face) from someone who has bought one while a resident of another state and has moved to CA, or from a LEO who bought one and doesn't want it anymore. On a good day, expect to pay upwards of $800 (perhaps more) if you are lucky enough to find one.

3. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    You might have better luck finding a First Gen P-32. They were available in CA for a while, and every once in a while they turn up in gun shops for a reasonable price ($250 or so).

4. 1keltec

1keltec New Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Thank you for the info and advice. It's ridiculous to deal with the stupid laws here. It's like California wants to make it impossible to own guns. While moving out of state isn't an option at this point in time, I guess I have to be on the lookout for a used 380. Or, like you said, maybe the P-32. We don't have a lot of options here in Commie-fornia. Apparently no legislators here believe in the un-infringed upon 2nd Amendment. Of course it's possible that if I can't get a hold of a Kel-Tec, I may end up getting a Walther PK-380 which may also be tough to get, if it's not on the Cali DOJ list of approved firearms. I don't know at this point. But I'm always up for more advice from others. Thanks!

5. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Disclaimer- I do not know the exact legal issue and I have not lived in the state since 72.

The following could be wrong BUT It is my understanding that the impression that the P3 is not allowed is that it is not on 'the list'. It is also my understanding that 'the list' was established to discourage sale of Saturday Nite Specials (IOW unreliable and cheap handguns, as we know the P3 is neither) in CA.

Recently I visited CA to babysit grandkids and for home defense planned to use the P3 plus a J frame. CA residents on defensivecarry.com provided the advice above and indicated that it would be unlikely the P3 would be a problem if discovered. YMMV.

I took 2 J frames instead.

6. Larry.45

Larry.45 Guest

Can a Colorado resident [legally] sell his P-3AT to a California FFL Dealer while visiting California?

7. 1keltec

1keltec New Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Thanks for the info. It would be cool to find someone in Cali who'd be willing to sell theirs, but with the way guns are flying out of stores, it seems like that may not be very easy to find. If it were legal for a Colorado resident to sell theirs to a FFL dealer, and then I could buy it, that would be great. Personally, I don't see why it wouldn't be legal, but I don't know all the laws here. I do know that the P-3AT was legal here (new ones, that is) 5 years ago, before Kel-Tec let their Cali DOJ certification expire. But we can still buy used Kels if they're located anywhere within Cali.

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    No. No Kel-tecs are on the approved list for CA. Said CO resident would have to move to CA to be able to legally sell the gun there.

1Kel-tec: Your best resource is probably going to be http://www.calguns.net/
    They occassionally show up there and you might ask around on the forum.

9. 1keltec

1keltec New Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I'll check out Calguns.net and see what's there. It's crazy around here. We went to Bass Pro Shops in Rancho Cucamonga, CA today, and while they normally have a large stock of firearms and ammo, they were practically empty today! Even the gun sales guys said they're shocked that this many guns are selling right now. One told me that it's the "new administration" that's causing all the empty gun cases. I agree. That's the reason we bought our SU-16CA. We wanted to make sure we had one before the "O" word tried to make them illegal. They say he's the gun salesman of the year. I guess so!

10. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    CA has a list of DOJ "Approved" firearms which they say are safe to own. Firearms not on the list area apparently "unsafe" until proven otherwise. LE is exempt from having to buy only "safe" firearms. Makes lots of sense, huh? IIRC, the CA Sheriffs & Police Assn sold out the public and actually endorsed this crappy law. You can bet if their officers were included in the ban they would have fought tooth and nail to prevent its passing. >:(

My understanding is that a CO resident can sell to a CA dealer, but then the CA dealer can only sell to a non-CA resident due to "the list". If a CO resident moves to CA, then sells to a CA dealer - same thing. If a CO resident moves to CA, and agrees to sell the off-list weapon to another CA resident, the dealer can facilitate the transfer. If the weapon predates the list it is exempt from the law, hence the P-32s that are occasionally found. LE can buy unapproved weapons, then sell them to CA residents with a dealer involved, usually at a huge profit.