P-3AT finish

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by e_smith, Jul 19, 2008.

1. e_smith

e_smith New Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Hey folks
    I picked up a new P-3AT yesterday, and was gonna go shoot it tomorrow.
    I sat down to clean it before shooting, and I noticed that the finish on the slide is really rough. It looks like it had been rusted to the point of pitting, and then cleand up and reblued.
    I also noticed 2 small cracks on the very front edge of the ejection port that look like they go completely through the slide (from top to bottom).

Is this standard for Kel-Tec, or did i just get a weird one?
    I am gonna call KT on monday, but was just wondering if the rough finish was something to be expected with these or not.

Thanks!!

2. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    While the KT finish is not the best you'll ever see, what you have does not sound typical based on your description.  Pictures would be nice, especially the cracks.  You should call them Monday and tell them about it. I'm sure they'll have you send the slide in for a new one.

3. e_smith

e_smith New Member

Jul 19, 2008
    I dont have a camera to take pics, but upon closer inspection, there are 2 very definite cracks that are about the width of a piece of paper and abou 1/16" long.
    I am not worried too much about the finish, i am sure it will get much worse bangin around in my pocket, but i hear KT has really good customer service.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    You bought this new? Call them and exchange the slide.

5. [highlight]DO NOT SHOOT THAT GUN[/highlight]

Until a qualified gunsmith has advised you it is safe. Take it back to the dealer and see if he will exchange it, or as already posted, CALL Kel-Tec Service ASAP.

[highlight]DO NOT SHOOT THAT GUN[/highlight]

6. jpaul

jpaul Member

Apr 23, 2008
    The cracks are not normal, do as has been said and do not shoot it.
    As far as the finish chances are the pits you are seeing is actually the finish that is on the metal when it left the steel mill. My P-11 had this bad but the P-3AT was better. They simply blue the finish that is there insead of sanding it first.

Let us know what KT says about the slide.

7. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    As far as the finish, I'm pretty sure that what jpaul said only applies to blued guns. The hard chrome (HC) guns get additional finishing and work before the hardchrome is applied. My HC P3 finish looks great! I have never seen an HC Kel-Tec gun that didn't have a good looking finish.

8. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I wouldn't touch one off with that gun until I got the slide replaced on it! KT will replace it (slide) free and it won't take them all month to do it either. I would guess 1-2 weeks max.

9. Sassi

Sassi New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Someone did a great job checking out this new gun before trying it out. Something we all need to remember to do.

10. Bo_Bryant

Bo_Bryant New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    We see it before, all things are not always perfect. Basically, Kel-Tec is a good company that produces top quality work. Sometimes, one does not turn out so good. Sorry about your situation. But like the others said, don't shoot it until it is repaired. Kel-Tec will make it right.

Bo Bryant

11. e_smith

e_smith New Member

Jul 19, 2008
    I called KT they told me to send it in, and then they sent me an email when they received it.
    I do not look at this as an indicator of low quality in Kel tecs. I bought a Smith and Wesson M&P 45 last year and found that the barrel had a rather deep gouge/machining flaw in it. S&W also replaced it without a problem. So it does happen in "high End" guns also.
    Always clean and inspect before firing.

12. rstick

rstick New Member

Jul 29, 2008