Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1st-gen P-32 that shoots several inches left at 25 feet. So far I THINK it's the gun, not me, but then again, this is the only P-32 I've ever fired, and the weird triangular, dot-over-dot sights are not at all what I'm used to. So I'll shoot it some more to be sure first, but if the sights are off, is there any practical way to adjust them?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a 1st-gen P-32 that shoots several inches left at 25 feet. So far I THINK it's the gun, not me, but then again, this is the only P-32 I've ever fired, and the weird triangular, dot-over-dot sights are not at all what I'm used to. So I'll shoot it some more to be sure first, but if the sights are off, is there any practical way to adjust them?
When you say "several inches left at 25 feet" are you talking about 3" to 4" or 10" to 12"? These little pistols are referred to "belly guns" for a reason and that is that 5 yards is considered a long shot.

If you are within 6" of your point of aim at 25 feet I'd call that pretty darn good. It's about the best I do (I'm admittedly no marksman) and about the best the P32 is meant for.

Also, my P32 has no dots. Can you post a pic of your sights?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Aim to the right.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I would also suggest trying several different types of ammo and see if that helps.

It can't hurt to have another shooter try it too. Preferably one who has some experience if possible.

Are you getting good groups even if they are to the left?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, left or low left on a mouse gun is usually caused by milking the grip with your few fingers as you pull the trigger or not squeezing hard enough with your left hand. A common issue I had to overcome with my 380 and the 32. Heavier guns around the 25oz and higher weights with a decent three finger grip are much easier to control. But I'd try other ammo too though I'd be surprised if one brand shot low left constantly.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you say "several inches left at 25 feet" are you talking about 3" to 4"
I did not measure at the time, but yes, I had a decent group but offset 3 or 4 inches or so to the left. Next time I will measure, record which ammo I was using, etc. The offset seemed consistent, and when I consciously aimed to the right I was able to center up the group on the target, but I did not have time that day to work out a reliable and fast method of offsetting the sights.

These little pistols are referred to "belly guns" for a reason and that is that 5 yards is considered a long shot.
The precision (group size) was quite acceptable to me, but hitting somewhere other than where I aimed it was not.

The poor sights make this little pocket gun hard enough to shoot accurately as is. Under stress I don't want to be second-guessing myself with, "Wait, where will the bullets go again?" thoughts. Yeah, ideally I'll get my grip and natural point of aim nailed down to the point where I can hit with it reliably (at closer ranges) even if the lighting is poor enough that I can't really see the sights, but I expect practicing to get to that point to be a lot easier if the sights are on target to begin with!

Also, my P32 has no dots. Can you post a pic of your sights?
See the 1st gen P3AT in that picture on the left. My P-32 sights look like those, except the paint on mine is white instead of orange, and my slide is blue not chrome.

Aim to the right.
Yeah, that "worked", although I suspect I wasn't doing it in the optimal manner. When aiming right I was keeping the sights aligned but shifting the front sight right on the target. Now I'm thinking that it would be better to keep the front sight square on the center of the target, and figure out how much to misalign the rear sight to the left to get the shots centered, and try to memorize that hold.

Or since all I can see of the sights are the white dots anyway, maybe I could scrape away the paint on one side to adjust the point of impact, and re-apply paint if necessary. However, if it turns out it really is the gun and not me, perhaps I'd be better off trading in the pistol as is towards something that will hopefully shoot to point of aim. (Perhaps a P3AT or Glock 42.)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, left or low left on a mouse gun is usually caused by milking the grip with your few fingers as you pull the trigger or not squeezing hard enough with your left hand.
Hm, next time maybe I'll also try shooting left-handed. If it still shoots left it probably means the sights are off, if it instead shoots right, that should mean I'm making the same sort of mistake both right and left handed. (That's my idea anyway, whether it works in practice I'm not sure.) I haven't encountered this problem before, but this P-32 is the smallest pistol I've ever shot, and feels fairly snappy in recoil.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Try having an experienced shooter try
And how far are you shooting... didn't see it or missed it. If beyond 7yds. That's out of design scope IMO.... although there is a European SF team that claims (internet) to routinely make 100M center mass hits w/a P32.

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
Hm, next time maybe I'll also try shooting left-handed. If it still shoots left it probably means the sights are off, if it instead shoots right, that should mean I'm making the same sort of mistake both right and left handed. (That's my idea anyway, whether it works in practice I'm not sure.) I haven't encountered this problem before, but this P-32 is the smallest pistol I've ever shot, and feels fairly snappy in recoil.
Theoretically, that should work, if you can shoot well left handed. I can't shoot nearly as well left handed as right handed, certainly with a P32 at 25 feet. If you bring it in closer, that might tell you something.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
although there is a European SF team that claims (internet) to routinely make 100M center mass hits w/a P32.
See: Keltec P32 pistol in Swiss use, Posted on June 1, 2013 by Oleg Volk.

"They consider P32 to me a 100 meter gun in the sense that it’s accurate enough to give 50% or better hit probability on a silhouette target. I watched them do it consistently. The same people consider P210 to be a 200m gun."

·
Grand Poobah
1,434 Posts
I have two first gen P-32s. One hits several inches to the left and and low. I always thought it was me, since the diagnostic targets indicate that jerking the trigger could do this, and that is the kind of bad habit I might would have. But then my second one hits pretty darn close to where I aim it. This second one was my Dad's, and as such, has great sentimental value. I hadn't shot it until a couple of weeks ago, while chronographing some rounds and developing some loads. My first one was my carry gun, it's close enough for bad breath range, but why not carry a better one?

As far as I know, there is no way to adjust the sights, other than swapping barrel and slide combinations until one hits point of aim. If I tried this with mine, it probably wouldn't fix the first, but would probably mess up the second. I may try it for kicks, but it's generally better to keep parts that are broken in with one another together.

buzzsaw-off to the range to check out some more loads. Maybe heeling and using too much trigger finger can offset my tendency to jerk. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.