Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

P-32 for CCW?

• Yes

Votes: 28 90.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • If No, what Kel-tec did you CCW qualify with?

Votes: 1 3.2%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Can you use a different gun? My P-32 is also my least accurate of my guns at the range. I’m sure it a bunch of things like short distance between the front and rear sight, almost non existent sights, small size (poor grip for accuracy), etc., etc. If you haven’t already, will painting the sights with nail polish help you? It helped me. You can create a larger grip by using a 10 round extension. However, be aware, these extensions are nototious for increasing failure rates. Sorry, that’s all I can think of.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I qualified with my pf9. I've never shot a p32, but I can attest that my pf9 requires an entirely different trigger technique than my other ccw pistols. Try practicing with only your p32 for a while (no distraction from differing triggers) and see if you can find something that tightens up your grouping.

Disclaimer: This is only my two cents worth...and that's not worth the copper that it was minted with. :)

Reactions: mark40

·
Administrator
32,172 Posts
I tried to qualify for my California CCW with my Gen 1 P-32 and couldn't! Anyone know of suggestions to tighten the accuracy, like maybe different barrels or slides for lockup?
I'm curious what the requirements were, distance, target size, number of shots, required hits, etc...

·
Registered
277 Posts
my P-32s have, IMHO, excellent accuracy for barrel length (3" groups at 15+ ft, offhand); dunno what kind of requirements other states have (point shooting?), but 'round these parts, a DD-214 gets you your 7-year CWL in six calendar days or less with no testing/quals [obviously since it was part of the drill during service]

not as good a deal as AZ though!

:)

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Here in PA we have no such requirement, however my wife and I took the NC concealed carry training while visiting with my folks a couple of years ago. The qualification distances were 3, 5, and 7 yards and qualifying with the P-32 at these distances was no problem.

If I read correctly on a web search you have to shoot from 7, 10 and 15 yard, and thats clearly more of a challenge.

I agree with Circlehawk's advice, maybe give that a go. Otherwise it's gonna force you to go to a bigger pistol or revolver.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm assuming the longest distance in your your CCW course in CA isn't beyond 15 yards. Is your qualification indoors or outside? I have a green dot armalaser on my P32 that has helped accuracy tremendously. I also use a pinky extension on the original magazine. Using a very firm two handed grip to keep the laser centered as much as possible throughout the trigger pull has worked really well for me at distances up to about 15 yards indoors. Dial it in with one brand of ammo that works reliably in your gun. The green laser does pickup a bit better than red IMO, but outside in very bright light you would have some trouble picking it up. The ten round mag does give a far better grip on this little gun and I would add that into the mix if it would at least get you through the qual course reliably. Assuming you want to use a laser, I believe you could easily qualify with one at 15 yards under reasonable lighting and distance conditions. I may be shooting my P32 tomorrow at an indoor range. If I do, I'll try and shoot a target at that distance with the laser and post a photo of target results here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Practice Practice Practice. Slowly at first at close range - 7 yards. Shoot with one eye open if you need to . Use the sights. I know they might not be much but they are sights. Practice at 7 yards until you can put all your shots in a standard playing card. then move to 10 yards and repeat. Again your goal is all rounds from two magazines in a standard playing card. Then move back to 15 yards. Yu'll be surprised at how accurately you'll be able to shoot the little gun. Back several years ago, we had two of our officers qualify with their P3AT's on the state Police Qual course. Neither had any trouble in making better than 80%. Good luck

·
Registered
129 Posts
I generally refer to it as my "Get the f*** off me!" gun.
I have seen some surveillance videos of actual attacks that have devolved into a ground 'n pound. (And most full on attacks wind up like that!) They are quick, brutal, and almost always unexpected.
The attack on George Zimmerman is a classic example. Rapid closing move. Knocked down by a younger, taller, more able attacker. He then was pinned and pummeled and had to fight his attacker for his undrawn weapon before he was almost certainly to be murdered with it. Even w/o the fight for his CCW, (which like the rest of his account of the incident was backed up by the evidence), he was well on the way to being at very least seriously injured or killed. Something the prosecution and our race baiting excuse for a president failed to give the proverbial "tinker's damn" about.

But this is what can be expected in a full on criminal attack, and must be planned for.

Gray_Fox

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Steve 76-
Although its not a range gun, I really like to shoot mine. I bought a second P-32 and alternate with them at the range. I practice similar to you, unsighted fire from 3 and 5 yards center mass. And sometimes I may go for 7 yards sighted fire.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I agree guys, 3-5 yds. from draw to as many as you can to center mass. I was always told and believe, in real world situation, you'll only be as half as good as your best day on the range. An attacker will be moving and can move 25 ft. in about 2 seconds. You won't have time to take aim.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
I use the same technique for all my KTs P32, P3AT, P11 & P40. Cover the target with the slide & sort of line it up so I don't see the sides & look along the top of the slide and use a smooth firm pull thru on the trigger. Not a squeeeeezing or jerking motion just a pull thru. I lock my wrist & let the recoil lift my arm at the elbow.

The P32 is the most accurate of the bunch but all of them are satisfactory at self defense range.

Reactions: TxCajun

·
Registered
365 Posts
What ammo have you tried? Mine seems to put Magtec closer to the point of aim than anything else. Not the tightest groups, but shot closest to POA. The trigger is long and I’m still getting used to it.

A grip extension or the 10 round mag may help. I first tried a Garrison grip extension, much better than the flush mount but the NAA Guardian pinky extension fits my hand best and produced the best groups.

·
Administrator
32,172 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts