P-3 is taking a real bite out of my trigger finger

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Zell, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Zell

Zell New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    I bought a new P-3AT today and immediately when down stairs to the range to fire a box of 50 through it. The little gun fired real well and I was amazed at how accurate I was with it. The only problem was it was really taking a hard bite out of my trigger finger. Using a Dremel, I smoothed out the trigger surface and edges as best as I could tonight. Will that do the job or will the trigger shoe that I ordered today take care of it as well? It's a nice looking gun but my hand and trigger finger were pretty sore at the end of the session. What do you suggest to prevent the soreness?

Thanks.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Re: P-3 is taking a real bite out of my trigger fi

Welcome to KTOG

It does seem to have a bite. But it seemed to just go away after a couple range trips for me.

If you read through a few posts, I even think some recent ones, about adding slip on cushions. There is a concern with the shoe since it is wider than the trigger guard and it has a tendency to work free.

A bandaid might help ;)

3. boatnsc

boatnsc New Member

Sep 22, 2007

l suggest you pm Sprinter and order some AGLAZER pads and a grips. very inexpensive and
    my last range trip l fired a 100 rds withno effect on my hand . Sandng a little off the tip of the
    trigger and smoothing the guard will also help.Be sure you use very little finger pad on the trigger pull.

As noted in a previous reply,the trigger shoe does extend out beyond the guard on each side and
    removing from a holster , or pocket could result in a discharge.l dont recommend a shoe , but you
    should sand both sides down to fit well inside the the guard if you do use one ,see othe posts on installing without
    it falling off..

The p3at is a fun bug to shoot and really smooths out after some F&B and 200-300 rounds

4. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006

You have a range downstairs? Man, I gotta drive like 10 minutes...

5. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma

Welcome to KTOG Zell.

I sanded all the mold lines & sharp edges off my grip.  I paid special attention to the inside of the trigger guard.  I also shortened & recurved the trigger to eliminate the pinch point at the tip of the trigger.  Finger extensions make a big difference in holding on to this little guy as well.  Finally I recomend gloves when practicing.  In a social situation you won't be worrying about nicks scrapes & bruises.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Zell

Zell New Member

Feb 20, 2008

I went to the range again today and put another 50 rounds through my new P-3AT. I'm trying to get it through the break in period of 200-300 rounds so I can just pocket carry the thing knowing that it's broken in and ready for me.

This time I used a right-handed golf glove to protect my hand (probably looked strange) but it made a huge difference. I could obviously still feel the recoil and friction but it was greatly reduced. I highly recommend it for target shooting the gun plus I am still able to get a good feel of the gun and how it fires because it's fairly thin leather.

7. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006

Zell,

I answered your PM, the email address you gave me was returned as an inactive account.

8. jnolte

jnolte New Member

Feb 21, 2008

get a wider trigger shoe from keltec

9. Prostatix

Prostatix New Member

Feb 7, 2008

Just a note, one which I learned from some good firearms instructors...

Please don't take this as criticism, because you may or may not be very experienced, so I may be preaching to the choir :-/

Make sure when you grip the pistol, that you are using the pad of the tip (1st phalange) of your trigger finger to control the trigger. It will give you more control, and help you avoid the "bite" issue. It will also prevent you from shooting to the right of POA. I see alot of people at the range who have decent form, but with a bit of form tweaking could be more consistent.

Especially on small guns, people tend to use the joint space on the trigger between the pads of the 1st and 2nd phalanges of their trigger finger. This not only invites trigger bite, but you will lose accuracy.

I fire 150 rounds/session out my P3AT and yeh my palm gets a bit raw, but I have not had any issue with trigger bite. And I have big, fat sausage digits :)

Just a thought ...

10. Zell

Zell New Member

Feb 20, 2008

Hey, thank you. That's a good tip and will try to see if that's my problem.