Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased my second P-17 today. No problems with my first one. Just bought this today at Academy and the safety lever won't budge I can get it off of safety but It takes a gorilla with two hands to put it back into safe mode. Any suggestions ? Hate to send it back without even firing it. Maybe a simple fix. Thanks in advance. Steve

·
Registered
856 Posts
Just purchased my second P-17 today. No problems with my first one. Just bought this today at Academy and the safety lever won't budge I can get it off of safety but It takes a gorilla with two hands to put it back into safe mode. Any suggestions ? Hate to send it back without even firing it. Maybe a simple fix. Thanks in advance. Steve
Check this thread:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check this thread:

Yea I saw that article. My hammer is all the way back .I've oiled the heck out of it and I probably have worked the safety 200 x. Its getting better but every so often it locks up.That's when it takes a Gorilla to force it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yea I saw that article. My hammer is all the way back .I've oiled the heck out of it and I probably have worked the safety 200 x. Its getting better but every so often it locks up.That's when it takes a Gorilla to force it.
Looks like a trip back unless you'll tinker. I've got 4 and I'm heading in my wife's and daughter's. No issues other than being rough from parkerization.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a trip back unless you'll tinker. I've got 4 and I'm heading in my wife's and daughter's. No issues other than being rough from parkerization.
Well After working the safety lever at home for a few hundred times the safety is smooth. BUT I went to the range today to test fire and it jammed repeatedly .It seems the casing would wedge itself under the slide preventing the next round from chambering .I used High Velocity ammo , CCI Mini mags and Winchester 1435 FPS ammo. I have a tan P17 and that pistol has been flawless. I guess I call Kel- Tec tomorrow and ship it back.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well After working the safety lever at home for a few hundred times the safety is smooth. BUT I went to the range today to test fire and it jammed repeatedly .It seems the casing would wedge itself under the slide preventing the next round from chambering .I used High Velocity ammo , CCI Mini mags and Winchester 1435 FPS ammo. I have a tan P17 and that pistol has been flawless. I guess I call Kel- Tec tomorrow and ship it back.
Ya I've got a green that has been flawless. I've had irons in the fire and not worked on them hard yet. I need to as I'm going to give for Christmas gifts. Going I can just polish them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is the first problem I have heard about the safety. I just want to remind you that the safety does not work unless the gun is cocked. I purchased one this July and another one this October and they have both worked without a Failure of any kind. Living here in Florida would make it easy for me to return my Guns to them for any problems, as I would just drive there but so far I have had good results with my Two P17's! I'm sure they will fix your problem!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I picked up a black P17 just recently (my second - first is tan), and while it functioned flawlessly at the range first trip I’ll admit I didn’t try the safety at all. Having read this thread I went to check both and go figure the new one has the same issue.

I pulled the slides off and did some inspecting. In the two photos below, you can see there is a part pressed into a pair of slots on the safety bar. The image with the screw driver is in the off position, and the part is in the lower slot. In the other picture, the safety is on and the part is in the upper slot.

In the working pistol, the bar slides smoothly over the ridge between the slots; but in the black one it only sides smoothly in one direction and catches hard in the lower groove when the safety is off. I can use the small screw driver to shift the part backward slightly and then move the safety as normal.

So, probably a manufacturing defect in either the safety or that part. Possible to repair DIY if you can determine which part is bad and how to polish the correct surface to stop it from catching so hard.

Obviously, YMMV.

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Rim Wood

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well My P17 came back from the Mother ship today. One week turn around Not bad. Tomorrow we go to the range . Work order claims the replaced the Extractor plus the spring and polished feed ramp. They claim they fired 2 mags, no problems. Tomorrow is the big day.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's my experience that Keiichi is knowledgeable and accurate. Takes good pictures also!
Trigw
Thanks for your compliment Trigw!

I haven’t decided whether I’ll disassemble mine or just send it back yet, but if I do send it I’ll probably wait until after the new year to avoid delivery schedule conflicts.

Best of luck with your range trip Steve.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts