Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Kel-Tec P-11 as my daily carry gun. I have had it to the range twice now for the break-in period and it has been quite difficult. The rounds will not continually enter the firing chamber from the magazine unassisted. In other words I must push the slide closed for the round to seat in the chamber. This happends about every third round.

So two weeks ago I sent the gun back to Kel-Tec for repair. So far other than acknowledging receipt of the weapon I have not heard from Kel-Tec. I wonder what they will say was the problem....

·
Registered
401 Posts
Were you by chance shooting 147gr. rounds, Some people have had similar problems with new P-11's not liking the 147gr. rounds.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Were you by chance shooting 147gr. rounds, Some people have had similar problems with new P-11's not liking the 147gr. rounds.
That would be a good possibility. That or weakened recoil spring or mag spring. That is, if the gun is used. I wouldn't expect a new gun to have this issue with 115 gr. or 124 gr. ammo, but 147 gr. ammo has been a fairly documented problem for KT's 9mm pistols.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I recently purchased a Kel-Tec P-11 as my daily carry gun. I have had it to the range twice now for the break-in period and it has been quite difficult. The rounds will not continually enter the firing chamber from the magazine unassisted. In other words I must push the slide closed for the round to seat in the chamber. This happends about every third round.

So two weeks ago I sent the gun back to Kel-Tec for repair. So far other than acknowledging receipt of the weapon I have not heard from Kel-Tec. I wonder what they will say was the problem....
Your initial experience is identical to mine except rather than returning the gun to Kel-Tec, I did a fluff and buff on it.

It operated perfectly on the second trip to the range with three different types of ammo and two different types of magazines.

Polishing the slide rails, ejector and feed ramp made all the difference in the world. The Rem Oil prolly didn't hurt either.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I actually had a buddy purchase a brand new P11 with the same issues a few months ago. Took it to his car, loaded the mag, and couldn't get it to properly chamber a round. He took it right back inside and got it exchanged for another. No idea what the problem was, but maybe it's a production thing with one batch of them

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ammunition I tried using was Winchester 114gr FMJ (white box) and Federal 123gr FMJ. Both types responded the same way. I figured It's Kel-Tec's problem, they built it... The gun should fire all 9mm ammunition!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Mine has had no problems with 115gr FMJ WWB & 124gr JHP Federal Hydrashok.

Maybe polish the feed ramp?

·
Registered
109 Posts
My P11 works great with any brand, but i've only used 115 and 124gr ammo. Not a bit finicky though.

Some guns are.

I've got Springfield XD40 that hates Federal. Works great with any other brand HPs or FMJ and any bullet weight. Total jam-o-matic with Federal.

The rounds get stuck going into the chamber and jam it up tight. The only way to clear it is to drop the mag.

Easy fix though, just don't shoot Federal in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts