Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced a magazine catch failure with their P-11?

Today was my first chance to shoot the P-40 conversion on my P-11. I like it! ;D

On about the 3rd magazine, the last round failed to feed. It appeared to sitting a little low, but not nose down. Operating the slide chambered the round. After firing, the slide did not lock back. At that point I pushed the magazine catch button, but the magazine seemed stuck! :'(

Fiddling a bit released the magazine, but the next magazine did not lock in place. ::)

Once home, I realized that part of the catch is missing. :eek:

I reassembled the P-11 with its proper slide for this picture. Notice the bright surface of the nickel plated magazine showing at the bottom of the magazine catch.

Getting the catch out was easier than expected.

Here's a closeup.

So, I sent Kel-Tec an email. 8)

TucsonMTB . . . who may not be shooting any 9mm or .40cal for a while

· Administrator
31,571 Posts
They should get you a new mag catch and spring in a few days. :-/

· Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
zeke said:
Clearly a defective gun.  You should sell it to the first person willing to give you $100.   ;D
I see you are following in Wilson's footsteps, only at a larger caliber? ;D

OK, Zeke, you can be first on the list. But, don't hold your breath. Either that, or prepare to turn blue. ::)

TucsonMTB . . . who was born at night, but not last night ;D

· Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Two Pistol Packer said:
  Do not "slam" your magazines in. the steel mag will cut and wear the plastic mag catch. Best to hold mag release in while inserting mag.
I try, Packer. Honest. :D

But, given the serial number (28xxx) it may have been slammed a few times in a previous life. ::)

One thing is certain. It has been fired often enough to have an impressively smooth trigger action. 8)

TucsonMTB . . . who is seldom in a hurry loading

· Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TxCajun said:
They should get you a new mag catch and spring in a few days.   :-/
I have faith in your prediction. ;D

Oddly, a little separation makes you appreciate things you have taken for granted until now. ::)

TucsonMTB . . . who really likes this gun

· Administrator
31,571 Posts
Since it's an older gun, ask for some recoil springs too. Some other good spare parts to keep on hand are the trigger return spring, slide lock and spring, extractor, pin and spring and maybe even a hammer spring... in that order.

· Registered
3,099 Posts
TxCajun said:
Since it's an older gun, ask for some recoil springs too.  Some other good spare parts to keep on hand are the trigger return spring, slide lock and spring, extractor, pin and spring and maybe even a hammer spring... in that order.  
If you order the extractor, make sure you tell them that you need the older style extractor that uses the 2 spring setup.

The newer style will not work for your gun.

· Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TxCajun said:
Since it's an older gun, ask for some recoil springs too. Some other good spare parts to keep on hand are the trigger return spring, slide lock and spring, extractor, pin and spring and maybe even a hammer spring... in that order.
zeke said:
If you order the extractor, make sure you tell them that you need the older style extractor that uses the 2 spring setup.

The newer style will not work for your gun.
Hey, TxCajun! Hey, Zeke!

Thanks for the personal guidance on the care and feeding of older Kel-Tec's!! It sounds like a phone call to Kel-Tec is in order. The first email sent yesterday should get this old puppy back in action. Your list of spares should keep him happy. 8)

Since the worn parts are on the stainless P-11 slide, a little care may be required to get the appropriately colored parts. I'm guessing a phone conversation is more likely to succeed than a long winded email. :-/

A new set of recoil springs arrived from Texas Sports Supply before the gun reached my house. A good thing since the originals were exactly the same length as the guide rod. Can you say "compressed"? ;D

You know, it's hard to imagine anyone having such a good time with these great guns without a consulting staff like you guys!! :)

TucsonMTB . . . who is grateful for the great advice

· Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Two Pistol Packer said:
  Also get a new firing pin and spring. Your spring is probably broken, and you might want to do the inertial firing pin mod:

Inertial Firing Pin modification:
http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=101;action=display;num=1155859478

Packer.
Hey Packer!

You got my attention! But, pushing on the rear of the firing pin in both the original 9mm P-11 stainless upper and the brand new P-40 upper gave the same (subjective) spring resistance. So, it seems likely that both springs are still drop safe. Whew! 8) The P-40 upper appears to be the same (older extractor design) as the aging stainless P-11 and has fired less than 50 rounds.

Still, I will order replacements for that likely day in the future when a firing pin spring breaks. The trigger modification may not be necessary for me. The pull does not seem excessive and it is very smooth. Personal technique still needs some work, but the addition of a trigger stop makes the weak link more likely to be me. :-[

The P-3AT's in the safe next to the P-11 and P-40 conversion are both second generation, so there is much to learn about the care and feeding of older puppies here at my house. ;D

Thanks for looking out for me! 8)

TucsonMTB . . . who's still learning about older Kel-Tec pistols

· Registered
3,943 Posts
and if broken, make sure to get ALL the pieces out.

and I do mean ALL (thanks for that advice in a previous life, 2pp)   ;D

I had to push the broken spring out the hard way and then find a way to clean the chamber......

all fun.

· Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rjhauser said:
if you like the .40 conversion, just wait until you get a 357 sig barrel. (* hint - b&h gunrack *)

that will really open your eyes.

;D
Interesting thought, RJ. Thanks!

Their website seems to stress LEO sales. Will they accept a civilian order? If so, I will probably call to see if they have any stock early next week. 8)

Oh! I see they have nickel platted mags too. 8)

TucsonMTB . . . who likes a little bling on the magazine to go with the stainless slide

· Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Two Pistol Packer said:
You won't know if your firing pin spring is broken until you take out the pin and the spring comes out in pieces.

Packer.
Oh! :eek: Thanks, Packer . . . I think. ;D

Sounds like a little more disassembly than originally planned. So, how often do you feel a full slide strip down to check for damage is warranted?

rjhauser said:
and if broken, make sure to get ALL the pieces out.

and I do mean ALL (thanks for that advice in a previous life, 2pp)   ;D

I had to push the broken spring out the hard way and then find a way to clean the chamber......

all fun.
Uhm, gee, you're right RJ. That doesn't sound like much fun, but does sound like it needs some attention. :-[

TucsonMTB . . . learning that there are various levels of bad news

· Banned
6,927 Posts
  It wouldn't hurt to remove the FP about once a year, if for no other reason than to clean out any accumulated gunk.

For some reason, the factory FP springs tend to break. (probably because of sharp projections in the FP channel) When they break, the FP still seems springy to the touch. After you have all the pieces out, you need to run a suitable size drill bit into the FP channel to remove any projecting gouges.

This is not hard to do:

The screw might be hard to remove due to a chewed up end caused by dry firing.  

How to remove FP:  

1. Do not remove slide.  
2. Insert empty magazine and lock slide back.  
3. With rear of slide resting on bunched up towel,  unscrew allen screw untill it just appears above slide. FP should be touching towel at this point, and it will fall out when you lift the gun.
4. Remove screw and file and sand away any roughness at tip.
5. Smooth any rough spots on flat part of FP.

If spring is broken, you will have to beat it out by hitting back of slide against towel. A thin piece of wire pushed in from breech face may help to push out all pieces.

Clean out hole thoroughly to make sure there are no metal shavings in there.

To install FP:  

1. Insert spring and FP. turn fp so notch is opposite the screw. Insert screw in hole and put a little blue loctite on upper threads of screw.  
2. Hold fp in and slowly tighten screw until it just touches fp. Back out screw 1/2 turn. You don't want to screw too fast into the fp and bugger it up.  
3. Now turn fp so notch is facing screw.  
4. Hold fp in and slowly tighten screw (after the first turn, you can let go of fp.) until it touches fp.  
5 Back screw up 1/2 turn.  

Packer.

· Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Two Pistol Packer said:
  It wouldn't hurt to remove the FP about once a year, if for no other reason than to clean out any accumulated gunk.

. . . in this section Mr. Packer included lucid instructions that make the whole process clear and even sound like fun . . .  

Packer.
Thank you, sir!

As soon as a new spring arrives, my P-11 is going to get the full treatment using your excellent instructions.

TucsonMTB . . . who is feeling very good about this

1 - 20 of 30 Posts