overuse?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by huckle, Jan 4, 2011.

1. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    I blew through 100+ rounds last night and when I got home I saw that the recoil spring swallowed the recoil guide... done chewed it up a little. It still fires fine but that ain't right. So.... reasonably, how many rounds can I fire in one outing before tear-down / cleanup?

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    not quite sure what your are discribing

did the outer recoil spring go over the head on the recoil guide.

if so, there are a couple more questions

the recoiling barrel slides over the recoil rod head and wears a cresant. when you reassemble, if the cresent isn't replaced under the barrel, then a new cresent is made and so eventially the outer diameter of the recoil rod head is reduced. do you replace the recoil rod back the same?

is the end of the recoil springs closed or open? closed meaning the last coil makes a flat contact with the recoil rod head and in the slide. if the spring has had a coil cut, then the closed coil was removed and just the end of the wire makes contacts and will unwind when compressed. I even take the closed coil even better by grinding about 20% lenght of wire so that the closed coil sits 100% flat

3. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    OK. Picture attached - its kinda big.... Hopefully the resolution is sufficient.
    [​IMG]

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The polymer guide rods on these guns generally last about forever.  Polishing them up with some fine grit now and again doesn't hurt anything and I lube mine along with the springs.  KT recoil springs are high quality silcon springs.  They too last a long time, maybe 2000 rounds.  If your spring broke it may have been defective or something.  The head of the guiderod may flatten a little if always inserted in the same orientation.  You can call KT and have them send you a new guiderod and recoil spring set for free,  although your guiderod doesn't look that bad.  Regarding your "cleanup" question, especially if used for self defense, you should clean and lube the gun after every range session.  That is a good time to inspect the various parts for wear and polish up any rough surfaces.

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    It looks like you have both of the reasons for the spring to climb over the recoil rod head

1) the head has been worn squarish (thus in effect the OD reduced) by not putting it back the same way each time. If the cresent worn by the barrel is too hard to see, scribe a line on the back of the head when it is agaisnt the barrel lug works for me

2) the end of your spring is open.

You need a new rod and set of springs.

As stated above, I took the closed end springs and took a file and about 5 minutes per end (springs should be nearly as hard as file) I flaten the blunt end of the wire so the last coil would fit flat

6. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Mine has never done this. I put 400 rounds through mine one day determined to see when it would fail. It never missed a beat. It never jammed or failed in any way. It was filthy, dry, and stunk but it never failed a single time. I have well over 2000 rounds in mine with the original springs.

7. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    I didn't have any problems when firing it - no failures or anything. It was when I went to clean it afterwards that I noticed the issue with the recoil spring / guide. I can still rack the slide just fine.

8. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Over 2000 rounds I still have the original rod and springs.